• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper UVB application

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
I got that same tank from petsmart, and I bought a tube light set up - had to get a black light and fixture to get close to the 18W needed in the 10.0 UVB bulb I found on chewy.com Now I read on everything that those bulbs are for a larger enclosure. So I just ordered a 5.0 UVB. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I hope I'm doing the right thing, I know too much UVB can be really bad.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I got that same tank from petsmart, and I bought a tube light set up - had to get a black light and fixture to get close to the 18W needed in the 10.0 UVB bulb I found on chewy.com Now I read on everything that those bulbs are for a larger enclosure. So I just ordered a 5.0 UVB. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I hope I'm doing the right thing, I know too much UVB can be really bad.

What size is your tank?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mine is a 40 Gal tank, 36x19x16

Sorry, you did say that originally. I have heard of people using a T5 5.0 bulb when the bulb was mounted inside the tank. The 10.0 bulb though is the standard bulb to use. If you provide places for your dragon to hide from the light they will be just fine.

There are other factors to when it comes to bulbs. The T5 size UVB bulbs are becoming the norm to use because they put out more UVB. The T8 bulbs are perfectly fine to use but aren't high output like the T5. T5's can be placed over the mesh screen of the tank and still provide ample UVB where T8 should never be placed over the mesh and mounted inside the tank.

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
Right, the little chart that was in the zoo med bulb shows that, as well. My fixture is a T8, so I'm on the right track, finally, with my lighting and distance, but I do need to provide a hide for him, as he's outgrown the one that's in there. I hate that I've done the wrong thing, but hopefully I haven't done any serious damage.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Right, the little chart that was in the zoo med bulb shows that, as well. My fixture is a T8, so I'm on the right track, finally, with my lighting and distance, but I do need to provide a hide for him, as he's outgrown the one that's in there. I hate that I've done the wrong thing, but hopefully I haven't done any serious damage.

You didn't hurt him using a 10.0 bulb. Honestly, If I was using Reptisun bulbs inside the tank I would use a 10.0.

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
Isn't there such a thing as too much UVB? My new bulb is already on the way, I'll pay attention to any changes.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They can get too much UVB but they also seem to know to walk away from it when they don't need it.

Latest posts