• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

product WARNING!

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i went out the other day and got a new tank, UVB and flooring for my bearded dragon. the thing iwish to talk about is the UVB fixture.

i got a Zilla slim line desert fixture which included a 50 watt UVB bulb. however covering where the light bulb was(as it was already installed into the fixture) a half inch think slate of plastic held on by screws that was the cover for the light bulb.

now correct me if im wrong but UVB can not go through plastic or any solid object right?

if this is so then i find this product a danger to lizards as it is blocking the UVB they need.

the plastic peice can be removed but the directions say to leave it on, i removed it as i did not trust it.

if this is all true should we send a messege to the zilla company as a whole(like all of us spam them with emails about it)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They have had that cover on for years, this is an old quote from a few years back posted on Uvguide.co.uk. I have never seen anything of it actually being rectified & tested since & yet they continue using the plastic lens.
Dr. Lutz said that when, back in September, they were alerted to the problem with the Desert 50 lamps, they had performed Quality Control tests on ESU stock as well, and found all the batches they tested had a low UVB output.
The plastic transparent "protective lens" cover on the ESU Slimline Reptile Fixture has long been known to block UVB, and must be removed if the lamp is to provide any UVB to the reptile. We recently obtained a new sample and our tests confirmed this; it blocked 100% of the UVB from even the most powerful UVB tube we placed in the Fixture.
However, Dr. Lutz assured FB that this too was something they were working on and in fact, a new acrylic cover for this fixture is already in production and some new stocks already have this UV-transmitting plastic; the old type is being phased out. He has promised to send us a sample of this new cover, as well.
FB reminded Dr. Lutz that we are still hearing occasional reports of problems experienced by users of Desert 50 Series Lamps which are still on sale in a few areas. Dr. Lutz would remind customers that if they contact R-Zilla directly or through their stockist, any concern over a particular lamp will be dealt with promptly and sympathetically.
So I always recommend removal of the lens.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i went out the other day and got a new tank, UVB and flooring for my bearded dragon. the thing iwish to talk about is the UVB fixture.

i got a Zilla slim line desert fixture which included a 50 watt UVB bulb. however covering where the light bulb was(as it was already installed into the fixture) a half inch think slate of plastic held on by screws that was the cover for the light bulb.

now correct me if im wrong but UVB can not go through plastic or any solid object right?

if this is so then i find this product a danger to lizards as it is blocking the UVB they need.

the plastic peice can be removed but the directions say to leave it on, i removed it as i did not trust it.

if this is all true should we send a messege to the zilla company as a whole(like all of us spam them with emails about it)
I have one as well and removed the lens off of it recently when I remembered that UVB can't go through plastic or glass.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
oh, well im old news then haha. i feel this is still very bad. i mean what about all the eople who dont know any better and buy this fixture and in the end it causes the death of their lizards?

Zilla is now off my "buy their products" list

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Been off mine for looong time ;).
i wonder if any legal actions could be taken agenced them. they are providing a harmful/missleading product to the public that does not do what it is intended to do.

its like selling someone a car that promissed to run on gas but only if you remove parts of the engine(in a very exsagorated way)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
oh, well im old news then haha. i feel this is still very bad. i mean what about all the eople who dont know any better and buy this fixture and in the end it causes the death of their lizards?

Zilla is now off my "buy their products" list
I don't know if there's anything you could do legally, but it's worth a look in to.

I usually have no reason to buy Zilla products. Their critter cages break easily, much better to go with an aquarium, and I just have not been altogether impressed by them at all.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
many of the pet stores around me have a lot of their products, its either an exo terra or a zilla product.

if i have the time today im going to look into this, im not very happy with these guys right now.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Who I'm starting to see a lot of that I'm loving right now is Terra Fauna (did I spell it right?) That's what my tank is with the sliding doors.

Latest posts