• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pretty Sure Brumation

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
so I've posted here enough and you guys have seen my setup and know my temps are good.
Sector went into his hide a few days ago and hasn't come out. I was a tad worried so I got him out a day or so ago and offered food hand fed, veggie AND Live Meat.
He closed his eyes....I said wow! This dude might really want to brumate.
He went BACK into the hide and just shut it down.

I've always heard of Brumation but I thought one could avoid it in captivity if they didn't mess with the lighting and temps.....I guess not lol.

Do I just wait for him to come out? Do I put a towel over the exit of the hide?

Will he do it every year now? Do I need to pump him with nutrients when he comes out?
Anyone have the 101?!?!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so I've posted here enough and you guys have seen my setup and know my temps are good.
Sector went into his hide a few days ago and hasn't come out. I was a tad worried so I got him out a day or so ago and offered food hand fed, veggie AND Live Meat.
He closed his eyes....I said wow! This dude might really want to brumate.
He went BACK into the hide and just shut it down.

I've always heard of Brumation but I thought one could avoid it in captivity if they didn't mess with the lighting and temps.....I guess not lol.

Do I just wait for him to come out? Do I put a towel over the exit of the hide?

Will he do it every year now? Do I need to pump him with nutrients when he comes out?
Anyone have the 101?!?!

Tis the season for brumaton for our scaly family much to our dismay. This is a natural thing for them to do no matter what we try to do to stop them from sleeping. Some younger dragons may toy around and try it out for a day or so sometimes a week or so at a time then they get up for a few days eat/drink/poop then back down and repeat.. Some older dragons go down for months at a time.

The key to all of this is make sure you get a fecal done before they sleep so you know that they are clear of parasites. This is very important as if you allow your dragon to brumate with parasites they will feed on the reserves your dragon has stored depleting them of vital stores to stay alive during this down time!! :( some don't wake sadly to say.

You want to make sure you keep a bowl of greens in there for them in case they wake and your not there they can nibble on them...If awake offer some bugs, a bath as some drink during their bathtime...Then important to make sure they bask and poop before allowing them to sleep again so the food doesn't rot in them..

Spring time comes another fecal test.. A healthy dragon really shouldn't loose very many grams if at all..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Hdrydr, get a fecal done to make sure that they are healthy. If a dragon has parasites and goes into brumation, the parasites will take over and essentially eat the dragon's fat stores. Every dragon is different. I have one that goes in their hide and just sits with her eyes open but stays in the hide for a week or so then comes out to warm up but not eat. I have another that will completely knock out for a few weeks and then come out. You just need to let them do what they want to do. The only exception is a sick dragon, If your dragon is sick and needs treatment, you have to prevent them from brumating.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
He ate a few supers a few days ago but didn't bask.
He goes in and out of sleep but just stays in the hide. Do I take him out to bathe?

I offered supers yesterday and he did the eyes closed, get that food outta my face thing lol.

So do I cover the hide with a cloth? Offer greens daily and just wait it out?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you wanna make sure if they eat they bask for a min of an hour.. even if it means removing their hide, then you wanna make sure before sleeping for extended time they poop.
Once sleeping you wanna allow them to do what comes natural for them. If they poke their heads out and look interested then you can offer up a bath, food (should have a salad even if asleep) if they eat then they need to bask and then poop like above. many drink while in the bath. also a good time to get a weight on them to monitor how much if any they are loosing. a healthy dragon shouldn't loose any weight but maybe a few grams..

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
He ate a few days ago....couple supers
In the tub now trying to get him to poo.
Taking a long long time.....never takes this long
Do I leave him in for a while?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He ate a few days ago....couple supers
In the tub now trying to get him to poo.
Taking a long long time.....never takes this long
Do I leave him in for a while?
some can take awhile to go but for the most part they should go within 20-30 min if not try again next day or try with a bit warmer water.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You don't need to change anything when they brumate. You can leave the lights the same. Some people do like to turn everything off but most people leave lights on in case they wake up and want to bask. If they look interested in food you can offer something, just like Hdrydr said, make sure they poop before they go back to sleep.

Latest posts