• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Potential German Giant Beardie?

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
We have three dragons, 1 male and 2 females. The male just recently hit a year old but is much bigger than the 2 older females. His head is about twice the size of theirs. I’m just wondering if he’s just a big normal beardie or if he is a German Giant? Any help in identifying him is appreciated. Thanks!

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
Here’s a few pics of him!

Attachments

• 63CBF104-8557-49B8-AA67-C3797BC1C963.png
    63CBF104-8557-49B8-AA67-C3797BC1C963.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 211
  • 5294BB8A-B5D5-46C1-9159-F01EEC661786.png
    5294BB8A-B5D5-46C1-9159-F01EEC661786.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 198

TheFirstKhaleesi

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't know about German giant, but I know the males are suppose to be bigger than the female. My boy just turned one on Valentine's day, and he's a lot bigger than your pictures.. he runs his fat head into everything lol

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a few identification questions about mine myself. My Bee gave from petsmart but he’s a dark color even though he’s already had a couple of sheds. I was wondering if he’s a normal bearded dragon, or a Barbata or a Rankins. He’s about two months old. Any help identify him would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 111FA391-F521-47B2-A4E8-D3ABB45C6F42.jpeg
    111FA391-F521-47B2-A4E8-D3ABB45C6F42.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
  • 8A696093-CA3A-4916-A934-DB695BC3186E.jpeg
    8A696093-CA3A-4916-A934-DB695BC3186E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 158
  • A03E57C6-A2CC-4198-AE68-C313E31ED00A.jpeg
    A03E57C6-A2CC-4198-AE68-C313E31ED00A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 154

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a few identification questions about mine myself. My Bee gave from petsmart but he’s a dark color even though he’s already had a couple of sheds. I was wondering if he’s a normal bearded dragon, or a Barbata or a Rankins. He’s about two months old. Any help identify him would be appreciated.

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
The head does look kind of like a barbata, however he still looks adolescent. You won’t really be able to tell until they’re older. If his head still looks like that, it could be a mix. Also barbata’s have a bright yellow mouth on the inside and tend to not be as docile as vitticeps. It’s rare to “accidentally” sell a cross bred one because vitticeps mixed with barbata are very expensive.

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
That’s what I thought I just wasn’t quite sure. Bee is still a baby and is only like two months old. I just thought that with it’s dark color it may be something different than the vicciteps. Most
Bearded dragons I see are usually like green, brown, red and yellow. When I first got it from petsmart it was a dark gray color and stayed that way even after it’s first shed. It is still grayish but has a few yellow lines so I thought it was kind of unique. I’m a new dragon mother so everything as they say is Greek to me lol. With it being so little it’s not even sexed yet and the vet wasn’t able to help me do a gender reveal either. My daughter bearded dragon is a bright orange and possibly a male the vet said be it has large “pores” but that’s not a guarantee either.

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
That’s what I thought I just wasn’t quite sure. Bee is still a baby and is only like two months old. I just thought that with it’s dark color it may be something different than the vicciteps. Most
Bearded dragons I see are usually like green, brown, red and yellow. When I first got it from petsmart it was a dark gray color and stayed that way even after it’s first shed. It is still grayish but has a few yellow lines so I thought it was kind of unique. I’m a new dragon mother so everything as they say is Greek to me lol. With it being so little it’s not even sexed yet and the vet wasn’t able to help me do a gender reveal either. My daughter bearded dragon is a bright orange and possibly a male the vet said be it has large “pores” but that’s not a guarantee either.
Dark color is just another morph! In today’s day and age you can get a bearded dragon in just about any color including dark grey. And yeah you won’t be able to sex until they’re a little older! When they are it’s pretty easy. Good luck with your new beardie! Do a good amount of research to provide the best life for it and learn what they can and can’t live on substrate wise, how they like their tanks (they like to climb and be at high points), also the proper lighting. Beardies are a blast to keep

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you:) I have done all my research and besides Bee not wanting to it eats veggies much it’s a very healthy reptile my vet tells me. He/she is a sweetheart and loves to cuddle in my hair or fall asleep on my shoulder. I have a complete set up in its cage with the duo lamp combo, a CHE, a climbing ramp, a tree, water bowl, two thermometers and hydrometer. I am a little bummed that I have to wait like a year for the gender reveal lol.

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you:) I have done all my research and besides Bee not wanting to it eats veggies much it’s a very healthy reptile my vet tells me. He/she is a sweetheart and loves to cuddle in my hair or fall asleep on my shoulder. I have a complete set up in its cage with the duo lamp combo, a CHE, a climbing ramp, a tree, water bowl, two thermometers and hydrometer. I am a little bummed that I have to wait like a year for the gender reveal lol.
Make sure he also has UVB light! What substrate is he on? And there’s myths going around that you should mist your dragons. This is untrue. Keep their tank dry because they live in a desert, and just give them baths every week or so!

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use paper towels as substrate so he/she won’t impact or mistakenly eat anything. I have the uvb light. It’s temp is always in the 100-103 range and I don’t mist it just make sure it has it’s water bowl which I clean and refill every day. I clean the cage out every week with reptile safe cleaner and scrub all the accessories in there. I do need to give it a bath every week it is just a little hard to do since Bee always freaks out when I stick him in water.

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
I use paper towels as substrate so he/she won’t impact or mistakenly eat anything. I have the uvb light. It’s temp is always in the 100-103 range and I don’t mist it just make sure it has it’s water bowl which I clean and refill every day. I clean the cage out every week with reptile safe cleaner and scrub all the accessories in there. I do need to give it a bath every week it is just a little hard to do since Bee always freaks out when I stick him in water.
Sounds like a beardie in the water lol. We have three and two kinda freak out a bit but calm down when we rub them with a toothbrush and the other loves water. Also there’s a lot of substrate that they can live on that won’t cause impaction. Also they really won’t get impaction even if they’re living on sand, as long as you only feed her on a food dish.

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will definitely be sure to get Bee it’s own toothbrush for it’s bath :) I just don’t understand why it hates water. When I stick him in a small container with shallow water he just spazzes and crawls right out lol. I use tongs for waxworms, and roaches but typically try to mix
In the worms with his veggies so he will eat them lol.

Leanne Rager

Bearded Dragon Egg
We have three dragons, 1 male and 2 females. The male just recently hit a year old but is much bigger than the 2 older females. His head is about twice the size of theirs. I’m just wondering if he’s just a big normal beardie or if he is a German Giant? Any help in identifying him is appreciated. Thanks!
He looks to be the same size as my 9 month old male.

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
I will definitely be sure to get Bee it’s own toothbrush for it’s bath :) I just don’t understand why it hates water. When I stick him in a small container with shallow water he just spazzes and crawls right out lol. I use tongs for waxworms, and roaches but typically try to mix
In the worms with his veggies so he will eat them lol.
Generally what makes it easier is giving them a few inches of water in the bath and letting them roam around in there. Also we just put a bowl in their enclosure and leave stuff on it for them

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did that with the Nile Monitor I had and it would swim around like a little mermaid in the tub. I didn’t know you could stick a beardie in their though.. I was using like medium size storage containers or a heart shaped one I have and put water in it but then he just spazzes and climbs right back out, so I just put in a container of water in his cage for him to cool off. I even tried using a bigger water bowl I had but he wouldn’t stay long in there either.

BeardieT

Hatchling Dragon
I did that with the Nile Monitor I had and it would swim around like a little mermaid in the tub. I didn’t know you could stick a beardie in their though.. I was using like medium size storage containers or a heart shaped one I have and put water in it but then he just spazzes and climbs right back out, so I just put in a container of water in his cage for him to cool off. I even tried using a bigger water bowl I had but he wouldn’t stay long in there either.
We have a large water bowl in their tank they like to soak in. Only downside is, it gets extremely dirty very fast and needs to be changed very often. I’ll attach some pictures of our dragons enjoying the tub!

Attachments

• CD3242D3-EE36-4234-8407-294032D406BB.jpeg
    CD3242D3-EE36-4234-8407-294032D406BB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
  • 7631E36E-5F20-46CB-A3EF-E69EFBAF16F7.jpeg
    7631E36E-5F20-46CB-A3EF-E69EFBAF16F7.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 0824DB7C-704E-436A-BAC6-E83A6F677DE1.jpeg
    0824DB7C-704E-436A-BAC6-E83A6F677DE1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127

Leanne Rager

Bearded Dragon Egg

I just bought a deep clear plastic storage storage tub too high for Kevin to crawl out of and I put him in to soak for about 20 minutes 4 times a week.

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
We have a large water bowl in their tank they like to soak in. Only downside is, it gets extremely dirty very fast and needs to be changed very often. I’ll attach some pictures of our dragons enjoying the tub!
Hey, so are your 3 dragons cohabitating? That would explain why one is growing more rapidly. You should separate them asap because the other two will suffer from not enough uvb and also, eventually they will turn on each other (we are talking about full on aggressive violence towards each other, even female on female, loss of limbs, tails, not worth it). They are solitary animals despite what pet stores say. I hope you will consider this and if I misunderstood, my apologies.
As far as German giant, from what I have read it's almost been bred out so very rare and my girl is a lot bigger than your boy so I think he's probably just monopolising the uvb. I know that she was the hog of thre light when she was cohabited at the pet store, and she had rapid growth as a juvenile too.
I also only use non loose substrates (repticarpet/tile/etc). Sand is so unlike what they would live on in natural habitat (compact clay) so it makes no sense to put them on it. Glad you're using paper towels. With good husbandry you can help your beardies live longer than they ever could in the wild.
I also removed my dragon's water bowl permanently since they rarely drink standing water and it raised the humidity in her tank and caused a Respiratory infection that almost killed her. They do have a love of soaking though, I give regular baths. As far as hydration they derive most of it from their food.
Hope this info helps and let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

Latest posts