• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible yellow fungus

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
I took Squishy to the vet today as he had developed a yellow round puss filled/crusty area above what I thought was just a issue with retained shed around his side spikes. The vet did a scrape and says there is some fungal strain on the slides but as the area was rather small gave me a couple things to try Xenodine and Sliver Sulfadiozine to see if that clears it up otherwise when we go back in two weeks she will do a culture to see what fungal strain it is. Of course the big yellow puss filled area was totally gone today it must have fell off overnight she couldn't see that but as I had taken this picture yesterday she said it did look possible/suspect for yellow fungus -- there is the yellow round area above the spikes and a smaller puss area just above to the right of that as well -- I have viewed lots of yellow fungus photos and I just don't know. So I am coating the spots in the Xenodine and following that up with Sliver Sulfadiozine 3 times a day. Wanted to thank everyone that takes part in the forum because I knew enough because people share here that I didn't have to second guess if I should get him to the vet or not I knew to go and I can't change it if it is yellow fungus we will deal with it as best we can but at least I have some knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise. Crossing fingers that the meds kill this off but wanted to share the picture and I am hoping this is more of some kind of wound area that got infected and the vet did say it could be that a cricket might have bite him and started this but as there were two places so seems a small chance of that -- so its wait and see and I will update when I find out what it is or hopefully that it has cleared up.
dragon dec 17 001.JPG

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well wishes for Squishy!
Thanks so much!

He was doing so good and then wham something like this -- he is a good weight 293 I guess that is grams and vet said he looked good otherwise he is eating really good and doesn't show any other outward signs -- so best I can do is use the meds and do what I can and hope for the best.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Glad you took him in. Hope this goes away quick.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, if the areas are filled with fluid or "puss". IMHO, this would not be yellow fungus. Yellow fungus can be crusty but generally it is in "Low laying" patches versus round "lumps" with fluid. I would like to know what the test prove this to be as i have not witnessed this type of infection before.

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well first vet visit she put him on a cleaning solution for the area followed up with silver sulfadine cream she did a scrape and said it appeared to be fungal involved at that visit. I just took him back to the vet this Sat. after two weeks of that treatment and now this area does look more like yellow fungus it spread out from the area where the puss filled circular spot was all the way up to the smaller puss area and across to about the size of a quarter it was a flat yellowish tented area and appears was dead skin underneath it. Vet sending it out fro a culture and ended up taking the whole area off as it was dead anyway and scraped it for the lab and did a swap as well so they can hopefully do a tease type test on it quicker as the culture could take two weeks to get back to see if it is YF or another type of fungus. She went ahead and gave me itraconolze (sure I miss spelled that) not wanting to wait as the area had gotten bigger in just the two weeks very hard to find this med and I have to have a pharmacy compound it to a liquid form as its not available. There is also another smaller spot on his belly right underneath where this quarter sized area is located but to me appears darker then most the YF pictures I have seen but is a patch of something there about the size of a finger nail. I would post picture but he is covered in his silver cream as the larger area is mostly gone just a wound area at this point now that she removed it for the lab. I am lucky that I am on the east coast lots of reptile owners in my area so I have a vet that deals with them and has treated my Jackson Cham in the past for a mouth injury (chewing objects as a juvenile) so relatively trust that she knows her thing. Will update when I get back the results on the culture I am holding out hope because I agree didn't start out looking like any pictures I had seen of YF but is more similar at this point but could be another type of fungus crossing fingers and I will post more pictures when I know the results.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, i honestly dont believe the silverdene efforts are going to do anything here. It would be more for open wound to protect against infection. If this is indeed YFD to help aid the itraconazole. I would now start using vagisil - the cream for women yeast infections. Apply the vagisil on the areas. This will speed the process up and you will notice within 10-14 days the fungus literally drying up and flaking off the dragon.

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes will give the Vagisil a go -- didn't think the silver was doing much either as it allowed it to spread like it did. I really want to thank you for the information and will update when I do get the test results back as to what it turned out to be.

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well still waiting on finding out what this is short of knowing it is a fungus of some type -- but we do know it doesn't grow for yellow fungus as a matter of fact the lab is having a hard time getting anything to grow off of the samples so the vet instructed them to do whatever is necessary to grow it. The only thing it slightly grew for is something to do with infections in mammals Coco something which would be some type of transference situation going on which the vet said would be rare situation? She wants me to bring him in again so she can monitor how he is doing. Here is another couple of pictures and the puss is gone he has scarring were vet removed on the top area and now shows as yellowish/green colored area under the spikes and to about the middle of his chest. We tried the Vagisil and also Lamisil to see which one worked better Lamisil seems to do better and will turn small areas black so we are sticking with that for now and he is on Itraconazole daily. He is doing okay otherwise his poops are good and he is eating well so we will keep at it until we figure out what it is and what to do for it as he seems fine otherwise. I did steam clean his cage, changed him to roaches and off the crickets for now and he still mostly only likes his mustard greens -- was up to 320 grams and 16 inches long last weight in and is not quite a year old yet.

Squeshy Jan 2014 010.JPG
Squeshy Jan 2014 015.JPG

Amt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Jan 27 Dragon Issue 004.JPG
Well I thought it I had updated the photos enough but got a new development today the scab came off over the bad area and I am hoping this is just scare tissue as he appears to be molting his back area in that bad zone.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, i strongly recommend you telling your vet you want itraconazole. Its not harmful administered correctly. When i gave the recommendation of vagisil. It is to be used in conjunction with itraconazole. Topical treatments alone will not cure this flesh eating fungus. Again, itraconazole and vagisil will cure your dragon within 14 days.

Latest posts