• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible sperm plug?

Srhking247

Hatchling Dragon
So my beardie pooped today and i noticed this light brownish thing comming out his vent. Now i did some research and it seems to be a sperm plug but would like a second opinion. Now i know its not the greatest picture but if need be i can try getting a better one. If this is a sperm plug what should i do about it? Right now i have him sitting in a nice warmth bath.
20181223_112835.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it is likely s sperm plug, he will clear it himself in the next poop or two.. His femoral pores are looking really clogged, you may want to give him slightly warmer soaks and with a soft toothbrush gently scrub but DON'T squeeze them and over time they will clear up.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You could also take a q-tip with some warm water and gently roll it on the plug and it may come out. I do that with my chameleon when he gets them.

Srhking247

Hatchling Dragon
If i decide ti wait for his next bowel movement will he have a problem with his movement? I finally got him pooping regularly like he should due to his previous owners not having him on a good diet.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If i decide ti wait for his next bowel movement will he have a problem with his movement? I finally got him pooping regularly like he should due to his previous owners not having him on a good diet.

No it should come out with the next bowel movement.

Future’s Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently had this happen with my 5 month old beardie. I happened to catch him pooping them out and sent the images and video captured to our highly experienced reptile vet. She confirmed they were plugs and then asked if she could use the video to help teach non-exotic vets more about anatomy. Figured I would share the pics here so any other concerned parents can see a reference image. Like everyone here said, they will find their way out when the dragon poops.

**warning pic is kind of gross if you aren’t prepared for it**

Attachments

• 4D724E73-1036-4629-A2AA-36985B5DFD0B.jpeg
    4D724E73-1036-4629-A2AA-36985B5DFD0B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 654

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recently had this happen with my 5 month old beardie. I happened to catch him pooping them out and sent the images and video captured to our highly experienced reptile vet. She confirmed they were plugs and then asked if she could use the video to help teach non-exotic vets more about anatomy. Figured I would share the pics here so any other concerned parents can see a reference image. Like everyone here said, they will find their way out when the dragon poops.

**warning pic is kind of gross if you aren’t prepared for it**
Great picture of them!!

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
That's bizarre. Looks like it's birthing an alien. :eek: Thanks for posting that picture. I think most people would be worried seeing that!

Future’s Mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's bizarre. Looks like it's birthing an alien. :eek: Thanks for posting that picture. I think most people would be worried seeing that!
Seriously! I have video as well. I have dealt with sperm plugs on iguanas, but they are external. When a beardie sheds his they look the same as when they shed their nostrils. It a long tubular formation.

Latest posts