• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pooping at night

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This doesn't seem like a problem, but I just wanted to mention it. Is it unusual for them to poop at night? Like, when I woke up, there was poop.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah that was my thought. Chances are he pooped right before lights out and you didn't notice. Keep us posted.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Humm..that shouldn't happen, but as long as it isn't an ongoing this I wouldn't think it is a problem. Just keep an eye and be sure. Double check his enclosure right after lights out. If it continues let us know.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What time do you turn your lights on/off? I wonder if feeding time is affecting his pooping time. I have noticed that if beardies feeding schedule is altered he will hold his poop until after he has eaten. Just a thought.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That was going to be my next question - what is your light schedule along with your feeding schedule?

If this happens frequently, you may want to consider altering one or both schedules.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It only happened once for each baby. I never really change any of their schedules, unless I'm not home on time, etc. The light schedule is on at 7:15 am and off at 9:15 pm. Feeding time is 4-5 pm and 7 pm. It also doesn't affect their behaviour whatsoever, if that's important at all.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds good. I was thinking that if it was a regular thing, then you may want to move your feeding schedule up or lights out longer. But since it only happened once, I guess they needed to get it out before settling down for the night. :D

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the feeding so late in the day due to your schedule?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee, I'm glad to hear that it's not concerning. :)

Lisa, yes, because I have school. And since I don't even live in the division of the school, it takes even longer to get home! And because of that, they get their salads right before I go to school in the morning, so at least they can still munch during the day. :D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it is a one off, no worries. But if it becomes a regular occurence, then I would look at changing their schedules somewhat. For the time being, I would still check it before you go to bed. It's really not the best for them to be sleeping with their poo.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If it does become a regular occurence, how should I change their schedules? (From the light schedule I posted)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you don't leave too too early, then set the lights to come on before you. As long as you can get the lights on for about an hour before, you can actually feed them before you leave in the morning. This way you only have to feed again at 4 and not 7.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Gina, I leave usually at 8, but sometimes 7:30.

Lisa, it would be too hard doing all that in the morning. It takes me 20 minutes to half an hour to feed them. If I had the lights coming on before I wake up, then the time at night would be cut down too, and I would have no time to interact with them. Plus, I do not have a timer.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The light schedule is on at 7:15 am and off at 9:15 pm.

if it were me, I'd push my lights on till 7:45, feed greens at that time. they'll eat when they're ready.
Just as i walk out the door, i'd run the shaker method for bugs and use a container.
You'll have an additional 30 minutes in the evening for digestion......and play time based on your current schedule.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, I was thinking exactly what Gina put in. I'd get a timer. It is a huge relief to not be tied to lights on and lights off. You will love it. You can get one pretty cheap at Home Depot.

I'd push back the lights on and put your salad in there. Dragons aren't hungry when they wake up and the lights won't heat things up for your veggies to go bad. Then, when they warm up, they can eat their salad.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
turn your lights on at 7:45 am. By this time you should be dressed and ready to go. Just as you go out the door, shake your feeder bugs into a bowl (a ceramic croc or glad disposable sandwich bowl works great) and out the door you go.

You get to feed again at 4, and if you want to give some protein at 7 you'll have an additional (ooooop forgot this part) 30 minutes to digest by turning your lights off at 9:45 pm.

Latest posts