• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Polystyrene/Styrofoam

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ive been looking at using this in my vivs but have read that fumes can be released if exposed to high heat. Has anyone had any issues when using this? Also is there any specific grout to look for? and to finish off what sealent is the best to use? Thanks in advance

blazedragon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
alot of people use styrofoam, smooth solid white stuff, in their enclosures. fume issues would be solved my properly sealing. unsanded grout. seal it off with modge podge. there is several posts on diy basking spots.

WatfordOleary17

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Right so today im off to buy some supplies. Ive figured that if I do all the floors first it gives me more time to think about the rest of the components. Im wanting to be able to remove parts of the overall structure for easier cleaning but wondered how ppl keep things secure? Also ive read about putting some sand on with the last coat of sealant to dull the shine down is there any in particular sand to get or stay away from? Im not that diy minded so this could turn out to be a disaster like my lat attempt was with the modeling clay.

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ive used this meathod before! Plenty of times. I just used regulat styrofoam but i used sanded grout with adhesive. It is a good idea to use unsanded grout for the first few coats then sanded for the last few. I just used a water based grous sealer to seal it all. You can get it in a spray can or a bottle and paint it on with a brush. This doesnt make the grout look shiny or glossy but it causes water to bead up on it. Also I made a whole cage out of this and the baking spot reaches upwards of 140 at times and it didnt affect it at all. Hoped this helped a little!

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ive spent hours making items this way from foam! I was surprised that it was viable for inside my beardies habitat. Made one and within 2 days he had put some good dings along the bottom and edges. I must need more than 4 coats of sealer. Its so expensive! I used unsanded grout and a water based poly acrylic sealer. Simple craft paints used before the sealer and it looks like a cross between bone and stone. I have a slab of sandstone on top which Wash Loves love loves to sun and sleep on.

Attachments

• Wash on his new DIY platform with real stone on top.jpg
    Wash on his new DIY platform with real stone on top.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 322

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Yes Mod Podge is very expensive but I know a cheating method that would make an $8 of Mod Podge go a long way. Make your 1st 4 layers with homemade Mod Podge. This is the ingredients:
1. Big Bottle of Elmer's non toxic fast drying glue. Yes, the one that you give your children for school. If kids can eat it, i'm sure it's safe for animals too, LOL!
2. Amount of water to give any given consistency
3. Spray Bottle.

Yes you do have to buy an extra item (Elmer's), but you save money. The original Mod Podge should be about 4 layers as well giving you 8 total layers.

mayhmmaydn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ill have to try that next. I used the poly acrylic sealer did over 7 layers.. it still chipped off . all that work and it breaks around the bottom. GRRR.

Latest posts