• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PLEASE HELP!

slash

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK, so i asked my mom the other day if i could get a bearded dragon. she said ill think about it, so i left her alone and asked the next day and she said nah, any advice? i have done a lot of research. but i also still have more questions. i do have confidence that i can convince my mom, i just need to know what to tell her i have an idea but other ideas would be very much appreciated. tell me if you guys think that this would help convince you if you were my mom. i have a bunny and my mom hates it because it smells and she just doesn't like them and does allow me to keep it in my room because it poops A LOT and smells really bad. i can do with out him i don't like him that much but he wasn't my idea, i don't like it but i DO take care of it. so i am going to tell her that i will give it back for one. i think this might work if i tell her that i will pay for a little less than half but i will buy the food vitamins and water, they are pretty expensive. i am going to pay for the dragon, and some other stuff. do you think buying the dragon would help because she would know that i will take care of it cause it is my money and i don't want it to die.

some questions i couldn't find the answers to.
1) what is the daily maintenance for this animal?
2) are they clean animals, for example leopard geckos?
3) how often do they go to the bathroom, poop?
4) do they smell?
5) do i have to feed it crickets or can i use worms as a staple?
6) is it OK to buy a bearded dragon at my local animal kingdom i don't fell comfortable ordering online once i get the info to convince my mom?

i want to make sure i know what i am getting into before i go out and buy one. i hope you guys can help! Smiley every thing will be very much appreciated thanks

i did calculations and it came out as a total coast of $362 with dragon. does that seem right and how do you think i should split the money between me and my mom i came up with $158 for me with out food and water, and $204 for my mom. does that sound good.

here are the supplies i calculated and tell me if i am missing anything.
1) 40 gallon tank= $100
2) repti-sun 10 uvb bulb=$10
3) white light heat bulb, i don't know what wattage though but roughly= $10
4) 2 digital thermometers=$20, $10 each
5) 1 humidity gauge=$7
6) 2 light fixtures=$30 for both
7) 1 night bulb= $12
Cool multivitamin powder=$6
9) rep-cal calcium w/d3=$6
10) like 46 for thing in the cage for him
11) BEARDED DRAGON=$60 roughly
apparently the 8 comes out as face. but it is supposed to be an 8 with a ) just to let you know.
do you guys think i need a timer? that is $40 added in at the top if not then price lower by 40. if anyone has any ways to save money those ideas would be appreciated also.

but that i don't know alot about so that would be helpful, thanks!

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Beardies are WAAAAY more than 60 bucks, more like 100-300 bucks.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome. Good luck convincing your mom. Here's my answers to your questions -

1) what is the daily maintenance for this animal? Babies: feed proteins 2-3 times per day, salad daily. Daily baths. Adults: feed proteins 2-3 times per week, salad daily. Baths 1-3 times per week.
2) are they clean animals, for example leopard geckos? Yes, i would say they are clean.
3) how often do they go to the bathroom, poop? Babies: couple of times per day. Adults: daily to once per week (depends on the adult)
4) do they smell? No, I don't think so. When I had sand, there was a smell, but once switched to tile, I no longer had a smell.
5) do i have to feed it crickets or can i use worms as a staple? Some staples are crickets, dubia roaches, silk worms, phoenix worms
6) is it OK to buy a bearded dragon at my local animal kingdom i don't fell comfortable ordering online once i get the info to convince my mom? I guess that would be fine. I'm not familiar with your local store. Just make sure they do not overbreed, the babies are healthy and active and they have appropriate living condition.

Here is a link to our caresheet. It goes over your questions in more detail -
Bearded Dragon Care

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am sorry that I have to come off slightly mean here but this is my issue with your situation.

You currently have a rabbit that your mom didn't want you to have but you got. Now you are going to give up the rabbit to get a bearded dragon that your mom does not want you to get. So how long before you get bored with the bearded dragon and give it up for some other pet? These are living creatures not toys that you get bored with and "trade up"

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I commend you for getting all the information you need BEFORE going out and getting your bearded dragon. Just remember, that especially in their first year they require a lot of work. Mostly the feeding. You will be feeding live for 3x a day for a year before that starts to get cut down.

It looks like Renee answered all your specific questions and gave you the caresheet addy. I just want to add that if you do get the okay...a breeder is the best place to get your dragon. You can check with Gina here and see who she recommends. Also, if you do go ahead with this venture..make sure your tank is all set up days before your beardie comes. Adjustment times with these guys can be tough on them. If you are playing with lights and temps it can make it harder.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since Renee answered all the other questions you asked pretty much, I can't really add to it. I know you want suggestions on how to convince your mom but do you know why your mom doesn't want you to have the dragon? I know when I was a kid and my parents said no to me getting a pet that I wanted they usually had good reason behind it. At the time it seemed unfair but looking back at it now I can definitely understand. I suggest sitting down and talking with her like a young adult and ask why she thinks you shouldn't have one. Personally, I don't see it all that fair to the bunny that it be gotten rid of simply because you are bored of it. While these animals can't express feelings like you or I, I'm sure it isn't pleasant to be gotten rid of like that. I think this may be one of the reasons your mother is having doubts on letting you get the dragon.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just to add to what they eat, babies eat A LOT of crickets about 50-100+ PER DAY. You will not only have to have a set up for your beardie but also a set up for your crickets. The cost of crickets for a baby can add up very fast and crickets STINK. I spend about $70 a month feeding JUST ONE of my beardies. You also have to calculate in the cost of replacing the UV light every 6 months and the heat lights burn out often.

I also have to agree with Crypticdragons that if you are bored with your rabbit you are not at the right place in you life to get another pet. Beardies do require going to the vet every year and they do get sick. I just had to spend over $300 on vet bills and she has to go back in 2 months for a follow up that is going to cost another $120. If your mom is not wanting it then she is not going to want to pay vet bills for it and the dragon is the one who will have to suffer. When you get a pet it is a life long commitment, they are not toys or cars that you can trade in for something else.

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hey
my eastern beardies were only $50 each and their pretty hard to look after and they do smell a bit and their poops are very big.
just letting you know that if you already didnt know.

Latest posts