• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help with odd Brumation behavior.

mozzer8633

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have, or think I have, a pretty healthy 1.5yr (approx) male bearded Dragon. Very active, healthy diet, great personality, etc.. Sometime in late Jan/early Feb, he went to sleep inside of his tree for about a month and a half. As most people unaware of what was going on, I worried for the first few days. I got online and learned about Brumation. Everything I read was pretty close to what was going on and I followed the tips I found online throughout this period. One morning I looked in his tank and there he was, hanging out on his favorite spot, wide awake and alert like nothing ever happened. So I attempted to get him back in his food/water routine but noticed for a couple of weeks he didn't eat anything and though I misted him occasionally I never saw him drink from his "bowl". About 2 weeks ago he finally ate 3-4 crickets so I thought everything was good. But the next day he was sleeping again under his tree and hasnt woken since. Is this normal?

Some things that may help you help me:
• I live in SC where winter is short. It started to get pretty warm outside all of a sudden around the time he came out of Brumation and then we had a couple of pretty chilly days after that. But it's been fairly warm out since. And no, he doesnt live outside but the outside temp obviously effects the indoor temp.
• He is by a fairly large window but not near any draft, breeze, or air vent.
• Normal "hot side" tank (75gallon) temps (when he hasn't been in Brumation) read 85-95 in the day and 65-75 at night. I use a 100w bulb in the day and a 50w night bulb at night as well as a UV tank light in the day.
• Center of the tank currently reads about 65-70 but thats because I havent used the hotter bulb for fear he's Brumating again and doesnt prefer the heat while doing so.
• He hasn't lost any weight since the start of his original Brumation period.
• He did poop before the start of his original Brumation period.
• As far as I know he hasn't pooped out the 3-4 crickets he ate between Brumation periods.

There may be some other variables I'm missing so please feel free to ask. Does any of this make sense? Do I need to increase the temps in his tank to bring him out of Brumation? I've read about warm "baths", would that help. Or seeing that he's always been pretty healthy do I just let him be?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What was your temp when he woke up .I have had them go back to sleep also .when he does wake up give him a good soak and bring his basking temp up to 110F

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What are the temps in you home I never use a night light and I'm in Ohio. Raising the temps can bring him out of brumation.

drackie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have, or think I have, a pretty healthy 1.5yr (approx) male bearded Dragon. Very active, healthy diet, great personality, etc.. Sometime in late Jan/early Feb, he went to sleep inside of his tree for about a month and a half. As most people unaware of what was going on, I worried for the first few days. I got online and learned about Brumation. Everything I read was pretty close to what was going on and I followed the tips I found online throughout this period. One morning I looked in his tank and there he was, hanging out on his favorite spot, wide awake and alert like nothing ever happened. So I attempted to get him back in his food/water routine but noticed for a couple of weeks he didn't eat anything and though I misted him occasionally I never saw him drink from his "bowl". About 2 weeks ago he finally ate 3-4 crickets so I thought everything was good. But the next day he was sleeping again under his tree and hasnt woken since. Is this normal?

Some things that may help you help me:
• I live in SC where winter is short. It started to get pretty warm outside all of a sudden around the time he came out of Brumation and then we had a couple of pretty chilly days after that. But it's been fairly warm out since. And no, he doesnt live outside but the outside temp obviously effects the indoor temp.
• He is by a fairly large window but not near any draft, breeze, or air vent.
• Normal "hot side" tank (75gallon) temps (when he hasn't been in Brumation) read 85-95 in the day and 65-75 at night. I use a 100w bulb in the day and a 50w night bulb at night as well as a UV tank light in the day.
• Center of the tank currently reads about 65-70 but thats because I havent used the hotter bulb for fear he's Brumating again and doesnt prefer the heat while doing so.
• He hasn't lost any weight since the start of his original Brumation period.
• He did poop before the start of his original Brumation period.
• As far as I know he hasn't pooped out the 3-4 crickets he ate between Brumation periods.

There may be some other variables I'm missing so please feel free to ask. Does any of this make sense? Do I need to increase the temps in his tank to bring him out of Brumation? I've read about warm "baths", would that help. Or seeing that he's always been pretty healthy do I just let him be?

Thanks in advance.

drackie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi i have a dragon who does the same thing only not for as long as yours, i am a first time owner, mine also went into brumation in summer, he is also doing it again now is very frustrating! i live in australia so he shouldnt be be doing this yet, my boy is about 11mths

mozzer8633

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
When he first came out of Brumation, the outside temp was probably high 60s/low 70s. Then as I mentioned we had about a week that it got cold all of a sudden which is when he went into Brumation again. Our house temp is usually 70-77 depending on the outside temp. His tanks temps were as mentioned in my original post.

Coincidentally, I noticed this morning his eyes are open. He hasnt come out of his tree but is alert. I checked all temps. Outside - 81, Inside - 75, Tank - 70 (because I've got the light on low). Should I put the day bulbs on to increase the temps now? What temp do you suggest? Do I take him out or let him come out on his own?

Your insight and suggestions are very appreciated.

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah try raising the temps in the tank to around 100-110 degrees ferinheight at the basking spot.
When you say outside temp, what do you mean? Like outside of your house or outside of the tank? Are you taking the temps with a good thermometer? Temp guns are usually the best. If you raise the temps to what I said, then he should come out on his own.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Raise the temp give him a good soak

mozzer8633

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks again. Glad to say all of your tips worked almost instantaneously. By mid-day yesterday I had gotten the temp on the "hot side" where is basking spot is to about 100 and in no time he was up on his "perch" as if he had never left. Just a few more questions:
• What is the best way to "soak" him? Warm water? How long?
• Water: Do I begin misting him immediately or does that cool him off again?
• Food: Should I feed him immediately? When should I expect him to eat again? Should I start with greens and fruits or introduce crickets back into his tank?

Thanks!

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Start with greens first then bugs. Soak him in warm water not hot for 20 min he can swim so don't sort but watch him

mozzer8633

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So before I got your reply (Bill and Karen) I researched the "soaking" bit online and last night disinfected the tub and gave him a soak and within about 5 minutes he pooped more than I had ever seen. He ate some greens this morning and has been walking, "jumping", climbing about, and acting like he did prior to Brumation. Appears to be business as usual and in great health.

I'm obviously a novice and learning as I go. The story is that my wife and I are divorced and share custody of our 3 children. My 8 yr. old son is fascinated by animals in general but specifically reptiles (as most young boys are). I am not the type to run out and buy my children every single pet they see in a movie but he was very serious about Bearded Dragons. If you heard him talk about them you would think he had been studying them for years. As interested and educated as he was I still knew who would be doing the majority of the work and obviously who would be paying for it so I hesitated until a worker at PetSmart told me about a guy going away to college who had a BD he needed to get rid of. It was almost 1yr and came with a tank and a little tree and "cave". The PetSmart guy knew it was healthy and that the kid took great care of it. I contacted the kid and told him about my son and he gave me everything for free. I dropped about $200 improving his "habitat" including many trees, logs, dishes, and UV lighting. I created a background from scrap mat boards (I'm a designer) and he has a pretty slick environment. I researched and researched and have done extremely well for being more of a dog person. He's a very happy and healthy BD. I just knew absolutely nothing about brumation so was thrown into a panic. From what I've read it varies from BD to BD and from region to region and the fact that every website I found recommended something that contradicted the other didn't help. I found this site and thought I'd ask. Your laid back and "straight-talk" oriented advice helped tremendously as did a couple other posts by others so again, thank you so much.

One alst question: I've read many sites that suggest not to pay double for lights at pet stores. Whats a good bulb you can buy anywhere for less that provides adequate heating? Whats a good wattage to keep a 75g tank at the proper temp? I know theres variables involved but just throw a brand and wattage out there. thanks again.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use a 60 wat bulb for heat but it depends on how far away it is from him you will have to test if you use one ,and also a 10 uvb reptisun keep your uvb at 10'' from him.this is what we do.

Latest posts