• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Play Sand

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bought a bag of children's play sand for Allie and you know what I found in it? Grit. Small pieces of grit. I sifted it three times before letting her sit on it. I know where the impaction comes from with small baby beardies and juvies.

Oh yes, I didn't get the ones outside because they're not clean I feel and are exposed to all types of weather. :) But one of the cashiers started trying to convince me to buy one from outside so I didn't have to lift it. I refused because the needs of Allie are greater than anything...and she was trying to dig today under her dig box, after I put it in with the sifted sand. (I'm going to see what she does tomorrow morning.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
i know, alot of people do not listen. i would use tile it is totally safe you can trust me on this one. ;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've been thinking of using tile instead of paper towels. It's easier and less germy than playsand. I bought the play sand as a dig box substrate. Something she can go in and dig if she feels like she needs to lay eggs which she hasn't tried to use. She'll sit there and look at me like, "Okay, I'm in here, now what? Oh! You want me to dig? Nah. I'll just climb out and track sand all over the place." I guess she's still a baby and isn't ready to lay yet. I've even made her a small hole to lay, but she's uninterested.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I've been thinking of using tile instead of paper towels. It's easier and less germy than playsand. I bought the play sand as a dig box substrate.

I would have to question the part of it being more or less "germy" as that would be a matter of husbandry practices rather than substrate choice. It's also been my experience that having dual substrates in an enclosure is really not a good choices as dragons tend to be messy house keepers anyway so there really isn't a viable way to keep the sand in the sand box. If you were to use the sand in the entire enclosure I feel certain that she would have a lot of fun digging. Most dragons do.
Do not be fooled into thinking that by tiling the enclosure floor that it will be less work to clean properly though. Both of those substrates are better in than paper towels in my view.
Enjoy!!

Latest posts