• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Play sand for substrate

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi i just got play sand for my beardie who is about 10 months old because I read it’s better than calcium sand for less of a chance of impaction. I just wanted to know how to wash and cook it? If it needs to be washed at all? Or can you just put play sand from Home Depot in for substrate as is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
From what I was told (and read) reptile carpet or tile is the best for them. I was told not to use any sand at all, especially if they are still under a year. Though I'm a beginner myself, so I can't say 100% for sure

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
From what I was told (and read) reptile carpet or tile is the best for them. I was told not to use any sand at all, especially if they are still under a year. Though I'm a beginner myself, so I can't say 100% for sure

Yes that’s what I’ve seen as well but the only issue with them is the carpet gets stained and the tile gets smeared. I read that “washed” kids play sand is okay because unlike calcium sand it doesn’t bind together if swallowed and will stay separated so it is safe. I’m just unsure how to wash it

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Washed children's play sand is what you need to use. When I used it, I put it in a colander in the sink and rinsed it with real hot water and let it dry. "Washing" it helps get rid of any bigger rock particles. The biggest thing I warn about, since I used sand before, it's not impaction but bacteria buildup. The sand is going to absorb any liquid from the poop and you aren't going to be able to remove all of it. If it builds up it can cause skin issues. I just read a comment somewhere, "you can't SEE bacteria" so you don't know where it is. Sand also hides food particles from salads. Salads should be left in all day so your dragons can graze on it so there's no way of getting around that.

The other problem with sand is it getting in their eyes and under one of their 3 eyelids.

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg
Washed children's play sand is what you need to use. When I used it, I put it in a colander in the sink and rinsed it with real hot water and let it dry. "Washing" it helps get rid of any bigger rock particles. The biggest thing I warn about, since I used sand before, it's not impaction but bacteria buildup. The sand is going to absorb any liquid from the poop and you aren't going to be able to remove all of it. If it builds up it can cause skin issues. I just read a comment somewhere, "you can't SEE bacteria" so you don't know where it is. Sand also hides food particles from salads. Salads should be left in all day so your dragons can graze on it so there's no way of getting around that.

The other problem with sand is it getting in their eyes and under one of their 3 eyelids.

Thanks very helpful

Antwonlt

Bearded Dragon Egg

Do you bake the sand after washing it? I read somewhere you have to bake it to let it dry.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah it drys faster if you bake it. I think I baked it at like 220degrees for 20-30 minutes. You want to make a thinnish layer on the pan so that it drys faster.

Latest posts