• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Planning on a flat rock formation

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't have complete photos of my viv yet. The camera's giving me dark photos, but here's a description of my basking spot. I'm pretty good with descriptions in words.

Ali's basking spot's on the right of his tank. I've got three wooden perches for him to use and a medium sized cave which has a small cave entrance. Won't fit him, but I'm working on the second hide. Anyway, to the point, I'm trying to create a flat rock. Just one that'll fit the way I've got the perch.

The wood pieces are as follows: The end of one wood perch is against the far right corner, end on the bottom, the second on is lying flat on the bottom with a small cut off branch holding it up, and the last piece of wood is lying directly on the bottom holding the end of the second branch up off the bottom. Both pieces are pretty large and they both form a triangle, making an easy cave if I had a flat rock. I've tried his other rock which is made from red clay. He doesn't like that much because he defecates on it. And it may remind him of his previous owner.

Any ideas on what to do about making a flat rock? I can't seem to find any rocks that I can use that's safe. I'm thinking of styrofoam or river rocks 'glued' together. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He doesn't like that much because he defecates on it. And it may remind him of his previous owner.
I like that ... Funny ...
icon_thumright-1.gif

smiley171x180.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On a more serious note, BDs are well known for not being overly particular where they take a dump at times. Does not necessarily mean that they dislike something, at times I think they are just too lazy to move, even when they generally only go in a certain area.

If his home has been changing lately, he may just be a little confused. Frequent enclosure changes will stress them a certain amount. It just gets used to it a bit, then it changes.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I made 2 flat "rockish" surfaces from styrofoam and grout. One for the cool side and 1 for the basking. This is what they look like. Might help with ideas

BASKING ONE

30Rightsidecomplete.jpg

COOL SIDE ONE

29Leftsidecomplete.jpg

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Do Not use styrfoam in a hot enclosure. The heat will make it give off fumes that could hurt your pets. Anything plastic has a bad chemical that when heated will send off fumes that are toxic. This is why there are warning on burning plastic. Styrfoam is not plastic but can also give off bad fumes when heated. Please be careful using it. I do not know the temp it starts at but since most cages are not well ventilated I would not take chances. Having a screen top does not make a well ventilated cage, it only lets heated air to rise out, fumes still build up.

cybercat

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK here is a suggestion for a flat rock. go to home depot or a landscape center. You can buy flat rocks there either pavers or thin rock for making a walk way. I had a pallet brought to the house a few years ago just for making a walk path to front and back doors. Hehe it is still sitting out there waiting to be used. I have one in cage sitting ontop of a cardboard box for a basking spot. It is temparary but works well for now. Still working on making one with these stones.

kermy1979

Bearded Dragon Egg
I love the pictures of your viv. I wish i was artistically minded like that. I love the uniqueness of all these home built vivs.

Latest posts