• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinworms...help!

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So, probably about two weeks or so ago I took Bayne to the vet for a fecal..The vet told me he has moderate amounts of pinworms & coch...that other parasite, lol.
My vet told me that this is normal for bearded dragons and that we shouldn't treat him unless he had hookworms as well. Now I'm being told on a different forum that beardies aren't suppose to have any pinworms and that he should have been treated...
I found this out because Bayne still refuses to eat anything that doesn't have calcium on it. Even with the calcium he is only eating maybe 4 roaches a day with a bite or two of his greens. He is getting dehydrated because someday he wont even drink any water for me. I haven't noticed a lot of weight loss either, but Bayne is constantly wanting to sleep.
His stools go back and forth between runny and soft to normal, but they smell horrible. It probably stinks up our entire one bedroom apartment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
f71e637231a13a35d47985f5bd813c82.jpg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So, probably about two weeks or so ago I took Bayne to the vet for a fecal..The vet told me he has moderate amounts of pinworms & coch...that other parasite, lol.
My vet told me that this is normal for bearded dragons and that we shouldn't treat him unless he had hookworms as well. Now I'm being told on a different forum that beardies aren't suppose to have any pinworms and that he should have been treated...
I found this out because Bayne still refuses to eat anything that doesn't have calcium on it. Even with the calcium he is only eating maybe 4 roaches a day with a bite or two of his greens. He is getting dehydrated because someday he wont even drink any water for me. I haven't noticed a lot of weight loss either, but Bayne is constantly wanting to sleep.
His stools go back and forth between runny and soft to normal, but they smell horrible. It probably stinks up our entire one bedroom apartment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bobbi,

I recently got a baby bearded dragon, 2 weeks ago and he tested positive for pin worms. The doctor did put him on Panacur 1 dose a week for 4 weeks. He just had dose. His appetite and poop is everything you described. The information packet the doctor gave me said that the pinworms live in their digestive tract and eat everything you feed your beardie. Which deprives them of nutrients. Yes Bayne needs Panacur. I do know you can order it online but I do not know if it is different than the vets. As I payed $23.00 for 4 doses at the vets and online it's $6.00 for 3 doses. The other thing is it goes by his weight. So you would need to know his weight.

I hope this helps. Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you.
I just called another vet to get their opinion and was told pinworms in small amounts are normal but coccidia are not.
Still on the lookout for a decent vet, lol.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you.
I just called another vet to get their opinion and was told pinworms in small amounts are normal but coccidia are not.
Still on the lookout for a decent vet, lol.

Do you have a herp vet? That's what you need. If you know his weight then maybe order some of the Panacur online? Just a thought. I do know that after I give Norbert his dose it does make him a little mad at me and it upsets his tummy for the day. Which I can understand cuz it's killing the worms. He won't eat his greens now. Stubborn little man! Lol

I would just keep calling vets until you find one you feel comfortable with.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The vets I called are supposed to be herp vets but I dont think they know their stuff. I will continue my search until I find one and then have a repeat fecal to see if its changed.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The vets I called are supposed to be herp vets but I dont think they know their stuff. I will continue my search until I find one and then have a repeat fecal to see if its changed.

Sounds like a good plan. Hope Bayne gets better quickly!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea it is normal to have pinworms but usually their immune system keeps them in check.. I would for sure see about getting a re check and meds for sure... Also you will want to get him on probiotics to restore his flora in his gut..

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Started Bayne on some probiotics last night. I have a video of him eating some squash baby food with them in it, but for some reason it wont let me upload it.
Today it seems Bayne will only eat about half a mL of the baby food and no roaches at all. Waiting for a fecal so I can mail it in because every vet I spoke to didn't seem to know what they were talking about. I'm still looking but there aren't many in Wis that treat reptiles I guess.
I may end up calling my vet back and seeing what he thinks.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Started Bayne on some probiotics last night. I have a video of him eating some squash baby food with them in it, but for some reason it wont let me upload it.
Today it seems Bayne will only eat about half a mL of the baby food and no roaches at all. Waiting for a fecal so I can mail it in because every vet I spoke to didn't seem to know what they were talking about. I'm still looking but there aren't many in Wis that treat reptiles I guess.
I may end up calling my vet back and seeing what he thinks.

Hi Bobbi, can I ask how old Bayne is? I'm sorry you are having trouble finding a vet. I'm in the middle of treating Norbert for pinworms so I know how you feel and what you are going through. Btw my name is Bobbi too!

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Bayne is only about six months old.

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Baynes fecal came in. No trace of coccidia or pin, but he does have roundworms. Meds should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Latest posts