• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picked up a beardie from a lady giving it away

Melsavage1212

Bearded Dragon Egg
Today while I was shopping for food , for my beardies and geckos . I brought my beardie with me and a woman shopping saw me with him on my shoulder and mentioned that she had one too

She mentioned that hers is three years old and she loves the beardie but has no time to care for it and her kids do not like reptiles and asked if my mother and I could take it so obviously we said yes because I love bearded dragons but upon picking the beardie up ( I don’t know the gender just yet ) we saw that their tank had no light , and they were feeding it Turtle food , the beardie looks super overweight and I’m scared for its Health so if you have any tips for diets please let me know

Attachments

• 1E8A1572-3BC0-4E01-A36E-6DEAE08126E4.jpeg
    1E8A1572-3BC0-4E01-A36E-6DEAE08126E4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Today while I was shopping for food , for my beardies and geckos . I brought my beardie with me and a woman shopping saw me with him on my shoulder and mentioned that she had one too

She mentioned that hers is three years old and she loves the beardie but has no time to care for it and her kids do not like reptiles and asked if my mother and I could take it so obviously we said yes because I love bearded dragons but upon picking the beardie up ( I don’t know the gender just yet ) we saw that their tank had no light , and they were feeding it Turtle food , the beardie looks super overweight and I’m scared for its Health so if you have any tips for diets please let me know
How long has the dragon been w/ out "light" the dragon is obese --- turtle food is not a food to feed the dragon -for UVB what are you using for your other dragons-- do you have a tank to keep her in? If your using coils you need to get a long tube fixture like 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for a 40 + gallon tank -- and it must have a height of 18" for a T 5 -- a 16" height tank will not work for a T 5 -- it then would need to be a T 8-- to be honest the dragon is probably not in the best of health w/ NO UVB -- please make sure your using a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --NO stick ons please --- NO coils for UVB they are NO good -- here are some links to what you need ASAP
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood 24" fixture
the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used as a back up but it needs certain distance and placement
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs 22'
https://www.petmountain.com/product/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-lamp?variant=8233 they are out of stock for the 100 watt bulbs you can get them at Petco or PetSmart -- I would start there but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get that temp
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-for-terrariums they are out of stock but you can get them at Petco or PetSmart
I know you have other dragons but I posted this stuff anyway -- for her diet I would start feeding fresh salads every day rinsed before serving she will get a lot of moisture from that -- insects I would only do 2 times / week and dust them w/ calcium D3 -- her being fed turtle food I am guessing she has gotten NO calcium -- I would get her out of her tank every day by herself NO other dragons out w/ her and let her run around for 2 hrs per day -- that will get the weight off of her --- NO treat worms except maybe horn worms they are more of a hydrating worm -- she needs to get some of that weight off -- she cannot be healthy especially w/ NO UVB --- w/ the salads and the insects 2 times per week she should start dropping -- I would get a weight on her NOW and weigh her every 2 weeks to see if she starts dropping some grams--- you can weight her on a kitchen food scale and weigh in grams
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club

Oh she is a big girl, how many grams is she?

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well damn she is thick! I suggest to give her salads daily though make sure they’re not that large of a salad, no fruit at this point she really shouldn’t have any sugar, once she looses a little weight that you can give her it again. Skip a day of feeding it will not be the end of the world and will likely do more good for her. “Hydrotherapy” could be very beneficial, just fill up the tip until it’s around her shoulders and have her swim for at least 15 minutes. I suggest giving her crickets twice a week no more than 5 each time. They are a good source in protein and low in fat.

Latest posts