• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Petition to stop selling calci sand

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
For babies defo no sand but for older beardies its fine as long as temps r correct and u regularly change the sand and clean the viv. I have 2 beardies and when i got Diego he was around 5months and he came with sand. I found quite a few problems with it mysepf altho Diego loved it. Wen he wud run rnd the viv he wud get sand in his water n salad bowls. Its quite hard to make sire u pik every bit of salad out or it will go stale. Also i found it gettin in the doors of the.viv and makin a horrible noice a real pain plus wen i bathe d Diego there was always sand in tue bath tho id think id brushed it all off him. So i changed my sub to tile. It was cheep easy to clean n keeps the temps up great. But i have left 1/4 of the viv under the baskin light sand. Just coz they do like to have a gud dig in the sand and also Diego likes to sleep in it. But sand is fine as long as everything else is perfect. If ur temps eva get low id say defo not coz if the beardie not warm enough n he eat sum sand it wnt digest n can cause impactation.

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
luckily for my set up I have a screen lid, so no worries about awful sounds / cinching closing things back up.

I'd happily sign that petition as I agree with it, but all the herp and general pet stores in my area sell it (not necessarily push the stuff) for any desert reptile. :/

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
I have put small tuperware containers of sand at night for them to sleep. They seem to like it to sleep in it. I am using 16x16 ceramic tiles for the floor. Is the main problem from them eating the sand when they eat? or just licking it all day? I know ingestion is he problem, but just sleeping in the sand is that bad?

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As long as they just sleep in the sand it should be ok. But calci sand just plain isnt good. As pasty puts it its like cat litter it clumps together when wet. The only sand one should use is washed and sifted childrens play sand.

Latest posts