• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pete's first shed - and a question

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi everyone. Hope you are all having a great day :)

So I was very excited that Pete went through his first shed! He has been running around all over the place - I think he's happy to be in new skin!! LOL
So my question is this...while we were admiring his shed and taking pics (I will post some later), he ran over and grabbed his skin in his mouth and started chomping on it. I quickly took it away from him. Is this normal behavior? Why would he do that? He also seemed to be puffing his beard this morning - is this possibly an attempt to get rid of some skin left behind?

Thanks so much!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool, shedding = growing.

I dont think eating their shed is normal . . . if Im not mistaken (Someone please correct me if Im wrong) I read on another post way back that they shouldnt eat it (Dont panic, he should be fine since according to what I understand he only ate a little piece . . . just watch his poops, so he doesnt get impacted from it), so good you took it away.

The beard flaring could be to loosen the skin on his . . . chin, or did he shed there also?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've heard that dragon eat their sheds. Try and get it out of the viv as soon as you can. If he's that hungry, consider upping his crickets or adding more salad.

And as pointed out, he is probably stretching his beard to loosen the skin.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks for the responses - I dont really think he ate much before I took it away - I was with him when he picked it up...but I of course will watch him

here are a couple pictures from his shed...

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No beardies don't eat their shed. It could have been just a reaction on his part. If you notice though that he continues and does it even during the next shed, I might think about having a blood panel run. He could be missing some vital nutrients and that is why the eating of the shed.

Latest posts