• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pet store owner wants me to breed Allie

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I went to the pet store for my crickets and a surprise for her. The pet store owner wants me to breed Allie with an aggressive male. I told him no. I'm not breeding Allie, nor am I using her babies as 'just breeding stock'. Heck no. I'm not going to do that and I'm not going to subject Allie to stress. And I'm not going to breed her babies because to me that's how beardies get two headed and some other things. He told me that bearded dragons are in demand and tried to tempt me into breeding by telling me he'd pay 200.00 for her babies, being her golden color and orange colors. Then he asked me if I love Allie. (Well, of course I do. She's like my child.)

I put my foot down-and he wanted me to leave Allie there for a week. Who knows what'll happen if I leave her there for a week? Who knows if they'd sell her to someone else or something else would happen to her.

Nemo

Hatchling Dragon
You go girl! I would have said the same thing.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Breeding takes a lot out of a female. There's no need to put her through that, and there's no telling if the pet store would be willing to buy not only one, but maybe three clutches worth of babies at that rate. What happens when they get over loaded and change their minds? You're stuck with babies you need to find homes for and care for. Aside from that, it sounds like your BD may have been injured in the process if you can tell the male is aggressive. Sounds like you made the best decision for your family to me, considering you're not in it for breeding.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The male used to be friendly I'm told, but now stuck in a small tank-if I had another tank, he would've come home with me that night as a rescue, he's aggressive, hissing and bearding up at people. I noticed how stressed he was just by looking at him. It says 'Do Not Tap on Glass', but no one seems to read or take heed that sign. People are cruel and they love to see animals jump.

They have signs all over the place posted on the sides of the tanks. We all know that some ferrets bite and not to put our fingers or hands into their makeshift homes. There was a sign reading, 'Please do not put hands into the tank. We do bite.' These two teens are looking at the ferrets. One of them sticks her hand in the tank and claims that one of them bit her. Well, duh. Here's your sign! Don't put your hands into the tank. No animal knows who you are even if they're domesticated. I mean you wouldn't put your hand in a Pacu's tank or a bird's cage without training the bird. Of course, you're going to be bitten if you're intruding into their habitats. Domesticated animals still have their instincts and know who's kind and who's not kind. People don't take the time to read a sign which would make the animals less stressed and less prone to bite if these people read the signs. It makes me wonder if my mother and I are the only ones who read the signs pasted on the tanks. I talk to the animals over tapping my fingers to get the animals' attention. They have ears too. ;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, maybe they should put 'do' put your hands in the tanks. That way people won't. LOL

Latest posts