• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pablo's fake rock build. With pics!

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Well guys and gals I finally decided to just fork up the cash and go ahead with the build. This will be my first " build log " so please bear with me as I am new to this process. But anyway, let's start with the building supplies.
•styrofoam board 9.99 lowes.
(Got two but only needed half of one :)
Guess there will be more builds!)
•tera cotta colored grout. 13.99( I got a big bag...to much) lowes
•Great stuff. 1.99 lowes
•Acrylic non toxic spray on sealant. 4.29 Walmart
•Liquid nail. 2.89 lowes
•200 grit sand paper. 1.99 lowes
Total= to be determined

So I started by taking the styrofoam board and pulling of the clear film on one side and the foil backing.
After this I drew out my desired shapes then cut a long razor blade.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436258.660531.jpg

After all my peices where cut out and my plan in place I took each piece and painstakingly...(lol not really) rubbed every corner of the foam to get the desired rocky look. Then liquid nailed them in place.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436450.959486.jpg

After my formations where glued in place I let them sit for 5 hours to cure then I got my grout mixed with water to the consistency I wanted and started painting it on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436533.675268.jpg

I also sprayed some great stuff on a box as a test for boulders that i want to put on the structures.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436652.352464.jpg

mind you they looked like dung before they dried...this was just a test to see the feel of the "stuff and see how it would work for rocks on my rocks...lol. i will get my fingers sticky next time to get the shape i want :).
Then the sun went down so I called it a day. Here is the unfinished product.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436922.686540.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436942.041027.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436961.555868.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364436994.121111.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364437009.423993.jpg

I think it's gonna turn out real nice and make the enclosure look a lot bigger with the added walking room. Oh and the top is also a hide
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364437099.838582.jpg

With two of the sides blocked off to give him a cozy place to sleep at night if he wants though he probably won't lol. I will update tomorrow or the next day with more pics. Thanks for checking it out and let me know what u think

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
And that grout is wet so the shine should go away and the color lighten up...I hope I will be using modeling paint to accent the shadows and all that good stuff too

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Well I was bored so I took all my supplies to

The basement and put a first coat on the big piece and a second on the small. Then sat them together so u could get an idea.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445474.648343.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364445493.699917.jpg

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Well I'm officially done for the night! Added a couple more things because I just wasn't satisfied. So here it is
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364451631.641671.jpg

And with a lighter for size comparison...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364451670.509021.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364451685.954611.jpg

This last pic is without the rock to the left because I can't decide whether or not I like it. Let me know what u think.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364451747.793401.jpg

I've definitely still got a lot of fine detail work left to still do but the basic structure is done. Hope you enjoyed! Stay tuned for updates. :)

Pat B

Super Moderator
I like it!! and I think your beardie will too. I also like the color. Keep up the good work....one of these day I will want to do one of these for Spike. I like that you listed your supplies.

Reactions: Bk7

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks Patb! If u decide to do it you will not be disappointed. Not only was it cheap but if u don't add the drying time this only took me about 2.5-3 hours so its really easy and rewarding to do something yourself. The color has changed tho in the drying process. It is a lot lighter with a pink hue. My final color will be a burnt red,orange water based model paint that I will put on... so the color of the grout really didn't matter I could've gotten grey lol. Here is a pic of the dried piece.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364493537.409652.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364493546.953515.jpg

I am very happy with the outcome so far. I am about to go to work and when I get home ill add another coat to the pieces. Estimated finish time is Monday so stay tuned for more updates.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He'll really love to climb and bask on it. :) I know mine would if she could. I don't have enough room to make her one, no basement or garage. :(

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
He'll really love to climb and bask on it. :) I know mine would if she could. I don't have enough room to make her one, no basement or garage. :(
Honestly Noella if u have a big enough spot in ur kitchen or living room floor u could do this hardly any tools required besides a razor blade, paint brush, and caulking gun....easy easy. The only problem I can see is when u are sealing it, the fumes could be a problem but if it came down to it I would just do it on my front porch ;) lol u should try. I think u and ur beardie would be very happy and when it cost less then 40 dollars how can u go wrong I mean dang at my lps a small fake rock bridge not even half the size of what I just built cost 30$ it's like why haven't we all been doing this....I think we should promote this to any animal lover. I will be making one for my ball python this weekend and I'm also going to try my hand at a fake Greek themed fish aquarium landscape for the 20 gallon long Pablo used to be in. But I also love working with my hands.

But thanks I'm sure he will love it too!
Now I'm going to start regrouting with a lighter color this time. Will post pics tonight so stay tuned.

@Noella I forgot to say...just or sure to use a drop cloth of some kind Sony font ruin ur floor :p. plastic or canvas would work best but cardboard would suffice.

So u don't ruin ur floor...DANG AUTOCORRECT!!!

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Well my beardie friends I am callin it a night...I have successfully finished the third coat of grout. Tomorrow after work I will do the last coat and on to detail painting and sealing!!!:)
Here is the finished product of tonight
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364531063.343329.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364531074.226502.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364531092.575381.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364531109.277800.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364531120.070962.jpg

I don't know if u can see it but I added a little texturing to all visible sides by taking a dry brush and just dabbing. Even though this isn't the last coat I figured it would be best to test it out and see what the effect would be, if it looked good, and if I liked it. I will be going back to the original terra cota color but will be adding a little yellow and orange until I get the desired color. I want it just a tad lighter than this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364531319.244277.jpg
. So tomorrow night will be the last coat of grout and I will be posting more pics then.

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Well the second color of grout is dry. It actually looks like a purple color but I I only changed the colors to ensure that I was covering every piece with this coat and the texturing turned out great. It is very rough and also the little ridges are strong and won't break off so I will be doing the texture with the last coat of Tera cota grout.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364572814.058022.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364572836.682088.jpg

More to come tonight.:)

Pat B

Super Moderator
I absolutely love this!! So clever and the color is awesome. I do have a question....do you water down your grout? I have used grout in tiling and just not sure how that would work on styrofoam. Thanks!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@ BK7 Honestly Noella if u have a big enough spot in ur kitchen or living room floor u could do this hardly any tools required besides a razor blade, paint brush, and caulking gun....easy easy. The only problem I can see is when u are sealing it, the fumes could be a problem but if it came down to it I would just do it on my front porch ;) lol u should try. I think u and ur beardie would be very happy and when it cost less then 40 dollars how can u go wrong I mean dang at my lps a small fake rock bridge not even half the size of what I just built cost 30$ it's like why haven't we all been doing this....I think we should promote this to any animal lover. I will be making one for my ball python this weekend and I'm also going to try my hand at a fake Greek themed fish aquarium landscape for the 20 gallon long Pablo used to be in. But I also love working with my hands.

But thanks I'm sure he will love it too!
Now I'm going to start regrouting with a lighter color this time. Will post pics tonight so stay tuned.

@Noella I forgot to say...just or sure to use a drop cloth of some kind Sony font ruin ur floor :p. plastic or canvas would work best but cardboard would suffice.

I wish I had a big kitchen or a work room. Then I could make her a climbing area/ basking spot. I've been looking at the supplies to make Allie something. The rooms in the house aren't very big and there's no room to work in the kitchen. This makes me think doing it outside would be a good idea. Fumes aren't such a great idea-especially with asthma.

Reactions: Bk7

Bk7

Hatchling Dragon
Last night i put the final coat of grout on and today was painting day! Took a trip to lowes to get the paint then my daughter got to work
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364663416.817736.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364663426.861323.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364663435.876409.jpg

She had a blast getting messy. :)
This wil be the final color accept for the lighter accents I will add after I put one more coat of this paint. The color is called autumn russet flat latex from lowes. Here are a couple pics of the piece after painting
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364663626.701298.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364663636.079180.jpg
it is definitely an amateur piece but I'm sure the next project will turn out nicer since ill be more experienced. Let me know what u think though of both the color an the piece.

Pat B

Super Moderator
as i said....love it!! :) Could you use spray paint instead of regular paint? Your daughter is cute as a button....such a big help she is!! This is just what I need....another project!! But I do like it and waiting to hear from you if your beardie likes it!!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's sitting pretty on his new basking spot! He looks very happy and has a big smile on his face! :)

Latest posts