• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

over feeding?

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
so ive read that u really cant over feed a young beardie, but man mine seems to be eating a ton, getting fat, he even seems a little fat before i feed him, BUT, i think he may have been slightly under weight when i got him, so just wondering if u can, i can post some pics later if need be, but he is growing very very fast.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can't over feed. They eat a lot. mine eats 100+ a day and the same amount of greens as the adult. They eat that much b/c they are growing so fast...just keep on feeding. Makes you wonder where they put it all doesn't it?

Can you post a pic anyway...I love fat baby pictures.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
about 3 weeks-ish ago..

SNC00054.jpg

SNC00055.jpg

and some new ones.

9dae0ac2.jpg

e24902cf.jpg

ce5f5b22.jpg

6ee8d44e.jpg

df8571bf.jpg

b8668fde.jpg

he just finished his last shed, and LITERALLY right into the next. hes belly hangs down even like 7-8 hours after pooping and eating.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ya he just pooped and ate another 27 1/2" crickets right after this too lol.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is looking great and like you said he looked a little on the skinny side when you first got him. He is not over eating at all. Keep feeding till he stops himself. I just posted a couple of pictures of my little piggy. as fat as she is the vet said she was only a little pudgy but not enough to say she is overweight and keep feeding just how I am.

Slyder, a.k.a Miss Piggy has not stopped sheding in over 3 months. Before she finishes shedding her back, her head and tail start ghosting again.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He looks good. It's crazy how much such a tiny thing can eat isn't it? Yoyo grew like a weed at that age too. He seemed like he didn't stop shedding until he was 7 months old.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She looks great. Was wondering about the over feeding toooooo
How much should an 8.5 month old dragon eat????

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL

Thing is, she looks like this . . . . . And looks a wee bit TOOOOOOOOO FAT to me

SNC00612.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
grimm said:
so ive read that u really cant over feed a young beardie, but man mine seems to be eating a ton, getting fat, he even seems a little fat before i feed him, BUT, i think he may have been slightly under weight when i got him, so just wondering if u can, i can post some pics later if need be, but he is growing very very fast.
Technically, you can over feed... but it's certain things... mammal/animal proteins, treat items... I don't think, however, staples can be overfed to healthy animals..
Just my .02.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Adult dragons I think you can overfeed but the babies I don't think you can. They are growing so fast they need all the food they can get.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Technically, you can over feed... but it's certain things... mammal/animal proteins,

That would be like pinkies right . . . . .
Well she doesnt get those. Only crickets and salads.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
Technically, you can over feed... but it's certain things... mammal/animal proteins,

That would be like pinkies right . . . . .
Well she doesnt get those. Only crickets and salads.

Correct.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pogie said:
LOL

Thing is, she looks like this . . . . . And looks a wee bit TOOOOOOOOO FAT to me

SNC00612.jpg

Thick tail base, I mean at least 2.5 -3cm wide (inch and quarter for the yanks ;)) is what you want for a well nourished dragon. Skinny tail fat belly, then there may be problems. Never a good idea to have a fat dragon.
Lean body, fat tail = perfect healthy dragon.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
grimm, he looks great!

And Pogie has a rather lovely belly! LOL!

Red Ink AUS said:
Lean body, fat tail = perfect healthy dragon.

Sounds just like Charlie. ;D Awesome!! His tail is so fat and chunky..

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thick tail base, I mean at least 2.5 -3cm wide

OK measured her tail base . . . . 3cm, plus FAT belly = Healthy right, not too fat ???

Latest posts