• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ordering Crickets Online

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Are you feeding and watering them? Go to petsmart and ask the cricket person if you can get some of their water crystals. As far as food, different people gut load with different foods, I use high protein dogfood ground up and mixed with calcium powder.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i have a heat lamp on my cricks, i am gut loading with colard greens, and feeding with the orange cubes hat have water+food in them.

so i can feed them dog food?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's what my Roach Breeding colony gets fed (Purina Beneful - Soft enough to feed right out of the bag & High protein), I supplement the feeders with 'Moistened' RepCal pellets,

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
Take a food processor/grinder tool and throw in items like dog/cat food, BD food, oatmeal, whatever is dry that can be chopped to fine bits. They eat most anything and will benefit from the variety. Keep that food offered at all times. Then twice a week give them veggies. Makes it a little less time consuming because they will eat more of the veggies if it is offered on occasion vs everyday. Then you don't have to keep picking out the wilting/molding foods. Just my experience with them. The cubes are a decent food to offer as a treat, however, I didn't find that my crickets thrived on that alone.

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
One way to look at taking care of the feeder insects is this = Treat them like a pet, feed them the best things possible (without investing too much) and they will thrive and be an awesome super food for the pets that need to eat them. If you research them as an individual creature, you can't go wrong!

Pat B

Super Moderator
What about freeze-dried crickets? Is there such a thing? I have noticed my beardie won't eat dead crickets. Any advice??

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What about freeze-dried crickets? Is there such a thing? I have noticed my beardie won't eat dead crickets. Any advice??
And you would have to get a vibrating food dish if you could get them to eat them at all... those cost a pretty penny.

Pat B

Super Moderator
And you would have to get a vibrating food dish if you could get them to eat them at all... those cost a pretty penny.
Thanks Aleena. I am trying to find a better food than crickets. My beardie is still a juvenile and loves crickets but going 6 miles every other day is getting a bit much. I feed him mealy worms, which are gross, and lots of greens. Do you have a better suggestion for food?? Thanks....

Pat B

Super Moderator
Take a food processor/grinder tool and throw in items like dog/cat food, BD food, oatmeal, whatever is dry that can be chopped to fine bits. They eat most anything and will benefit from the variety. Keep that food offered at all times. Then twice a week give them veggies. Makes it a little less time consuming because they will eat more of the veggies if it is offered on occasion vs everyday. Then you don't have to keep picking out the wilting/molding foods. Just my experience with them. The cubes are a decent food to offer as a treat, however, I didn't find that my crickets thrived on that alone.
Can you use this on juveniles? Sounds like a good alternative to crickets....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is talking about feeding the feeders (Crix) the dog & cat food, not the Dragons ... ;)
laughing-so-hard-ag1.gif

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks Aleena. I am trying to find a better food than crickets. My beardie is still a juvenile and loves crickets but going 6 miles every other day is getting a bit much. I feed him mealy worms, which are gross, and lots of greens. Do you have a better suggestion for food?? Thanks....
well if you have a good set up for your crickets you can buy plenty at a time from the pet store and only have to go so often.

i was using a ten gallon tank and buying 50-70 crickets and keeping them in there with cricket feed, water, and veggies. they all lived and only ever had a few die.

however its going to take me a few tries to get this online order thing down right. taking care of so many crickets ishard and i have had a majority of them die. down to like 200-250 of them. just did the dog food idea mixed with dusting powder.

would hard boiled egg(chopped up and all) work good for crickets? after all eggs are very nutritional.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I could see eggs going bad really quick, but thats just me lol
i do see your point, egg does not keep well once warm or room temp. maybe a little here and there. i may try it next time i boil an egg.

they have ate a ton of the dogfood mix and i dont know where they put it all. the are gut loaded now for sure.

Latest posts