• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinions on how Holidays are such a Corporate giant now

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So i know my title sounds odd. But i just find it funny how the holiday season (which is upon us again) has become the largest business in the world. Halloween candy has been available since mid August in my area. I can garuntee there will be thanksgiving decorations up long before halloween and then Christmas stuff will flood everywere early November. What happened to the true spirit of the holidays. Spending time with family and friends, giving thanks for what you have, instead of spending money on trivial things you want. Dont get me wrong i love the holidays, especially Christmas and Halloween. I like to dress up every year for halloween its my thing. And i love Christmas songs and decorations and giving things to people that make them happy but i just find it ashamed how corporate these holidays truly are. Sorry just a lil rant i had.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Honestly, no, Brian, I don't think you are out of line with this rant ! Sunday, my grocery store was filling a new display ( huge too 18') with halloween items and thanksgiving items.
Me, I prefer the old fashioned ideas that holidays were inspired for. All Hallows, for honoring the dead, and for fooling the "deamons" during a crossover time.
Thanksgiving is everything made at home meals, decorations and remembering to give thanks for what we have.
Christmas is not a time for gift giving in my home... it's for just being together, and spoiling our pets ;)
I do think that the "Movers and shakers" in the Industry have just gone too far by half ! The youngsters only understand "stuff". Not feelings, Not thankfulness, Not family. Is it any wonder we are in the fix world wide, that we currently are in ?
J

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think your rant is out of line either Brian.
Pagenly traditional, "Halloween" has meaning for me, we celebrate the dead and have alot of group eat ins.....with lots of food.
We celebrate winter soltice, but also have a christmas tree. Gifts are those either made or grown, with the exception of our small children. Santa Claus, kept with traditions of today, is a part of our celebration at my house as well as Yule.
I find it disturbing that people are so wrapped up in buying expensive gifts, that they forget about those less fortunate. And I believe if each family would take it upon theirselves to provide for someone that literally cannot at Christmas time, they would find their holiday much happier, and their outlook much more appealing. Before the available marketing outlets that retailers have today became available, things were a little more in line, less fluff, and more meaning. Now, it's all about who got what.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I remember as a kid going to the mall on black friday to see santa come in and the decorations that went up overnight. Now all th PC happy holiday crap goes up in oct and nov and its just one long generic retail push. Holloween used to be halloween. then thankgsgiving, THEN Christmas each in its own place and time.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm with all of you. I love the holiday season. Not a big fan of Thanksgiving. I think we should be thankful every day for what we have and not on one day out of the year. Not to mention that I'm not a big turkey fan. We tease our families that we will be serving lasagna for the next year's Thanksgiving.

As a matter of fact, I finished 90% of my Christmas shopping yesterday. Reason I like doing it so early? I think of the perfect gift all year long. And then when the season is upon us, I can sit back, enjoy the decorations, teach the boys about the true meaning of Christmas, and catch the spirit. My hubby used to not understand shopping so early, but I think he finally gets it. He likes the hub bub in the stores, not me. People turn evil. I found my perfect gift.

Now, I would like to add Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Father's Day. We believe they are totally hallmark holidays. The only one we do not celebrate is Valentine's Day. I don't want roses on a day when everyone is getting roses. My philosophy has always been, I'd rather have a rose bush than a dozen of roses that will last for about a week. And we both have the same philosophy that we celebrate our love every day, not when Hallmark dictates us to do so. ;)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, and the radio stations in Maryland start playing Christmas music before Turkey Day. Too early for me.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i think it comes from having grown up in a poor family and a quote unquote "broken" home.
i always loved the holidays for what they were a time of the year when you get to see people you love. We never got gifts or did anything cause we didnt have the money too but we always had a tree and we always were thankful for what we had. I didnt even celebrate a birthday until after i met my wife and that was a fight the first time cause i dont like being given gifts. I have so many gifts in my life that i find it hard to accept something when there is someone that would need it so much more than i do. That is why i volunteer at soup kitchens and animal rescues and drive full meals to underprivelaged families during the holiday seasons.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ahhhh then I think you are the type to Have a GREAT GIFT of Family ! Everyday, bro... Every Day!
pesky, but loving sister,
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Janie
typically our yule bares Aspen, but this year, my father gave us birch to signify new beginnings. Not sure what Pecan represents.

Renee
Nice to know I'm not the only one that finishes what shopping I do months ahead of time. I find no need to purchase things adorned with ribbons and bows for twice the price and 1/2 the meaning. I'd rather spend my money where it's better needed. I've paid power bills, bought children's Santa Claus gifts, purchased groceries, bought parts and fixed cars and done other stuff i found much more necessary.

DOH!!!!!!!!!! Janie..............lil' miss brainiac here just realized you might have been talking about a cake log!!!!!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ahaa There is help for you yet. love ! Yule burning Log is Oak ;)
Since that is what we have most of down here... water oak. Oh, lots of mistletoe everywhere... Lemme know if you need me to send a virgin up one of the oaks with a silver sickle next full moon ;)
Janie

Latest posts