• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Open Mouth.

Adam Oxley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey! so today little rexie's been chillin' with his mouth open most of the day. Ive never noticed him do it at all in the 4 weeks ive had him, but has been doing it constantly today. Is this a good thing? personally i just think hes really happy with the new 'Tree stump' i bought him last night.
20151116_152101.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gaping can mean a few things... 1. He's hot and he is cooling himself down, make sure that your basking temps are good 2. He could be gaping to show dominance or self defense and 3. Could be signs of a respiratory issue..
Usually it's them thermoregulating their temp

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah - what Hdrydr31 said. What's your temps runniin?

Adam Oxley

Bearded Dragon Egg
cold side keeps around 26-28 degreeC
Warm side between 32-34 and Basking spot about 37-40

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In my opinion I think the warm and cool spots could be a bit too warm still, I would bring the warm down 80-90F and cool 70-80F It's possible he is a bit too warm so allowing more of a gradient would help. However if he's not trying to get away from the heat then he's just regulating himself.. What is his behavior like...

Adam Oxley

Bearded Dragon Egg
Behavior doesnt really seem to have changed since i got him. Loves a run around outside the viv. seems more than happy chillin inside. loves the warm areas. Seems to be eating plenty. and poops practically every day.

Latest posts