• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

one eye closed?

Horsey

Bearded Dragon Egg
can anyone help my beardie latley seems to be having one eye closed a lot of the time when basking.
im reading it could be caused by the UV lighting? can anyone confirm this?

here is a list of the stuff i have in there

1 x Vivexotic Viva Bearded Dragon Vivarium
1 x Exo Terra Sun Glo Basking Lamp 100W
1 x Exo Terra T8 Ballast Unit 30W
1 x Exo Terra Medium Glo Light
2 x Exo Terra Digital Thermometers
1 x Exo Terra Repti Glo 10% Fluorescent Bulb 30W
1 x Exo Terra Repti Glo 2% Fluorescent Bulb 30W

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is possible that these symptoms could be caused by a bad UVB bulb. Does the eye look irritated or is there any discharge? Could have also gotten something in the eye & is being irritated by the lights period. An easy way to see if it is the UVB is to shut it off for 4-5 days & see if the situation improves or continues. It won't harm your BD to be without it for a few days.

Horsey

Bearded Dragon Egg
His eye seems totally fine.. Have never seen any discharge from it.. No puffiness or anything

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Here is another suggestion....is the eye he is closing the one that is toward you when you are watching him?

I would certainly suggest you experimenting with the UV as Germ posted but if he continues to do it and there are no signs that the UV is the issue and you observe that he his closing the eye toward you then he may simply be ignoring you. This may sound funny but many lizards will do this when you are disturbing them or sometimes if they are insecure by you being there.

It is very similar to a small child that hides or closes their eyes or sticks it's head under the covers when something spooks them or makes them feel uncomfortable. In their mind if they can't see it then it's not there!:)

Mungi does this to me quite often and our Iguana does as well whenever they have "had enough" of me...lol...What I normally do if I am handleing them and they do it is simple look at the other open eye and say "Yep...I'm still here!":D That is usually followed by both eyes open and them cocking their head at me as if they don't understand why I am still there when I was plainly dismissed:)

Enjoy!!

Horsey

Bearded Dragon Egg
This changed last night to him laying under his basking lamp with both eyes closed for a long while and mouth fully open.. I took him out and sprayed him with little water put him back in and he then put himself to bed before the lights went out... He is only about 3 month old.. Could he just be tired? That why his eyes closed and went to bed?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What time did you mist him? Since the change of seasons, Allie goes to bed really early. She'll eat about five and bask for two hours and then goes to bed around 7-7:30-8. Once, she went at 6. So it's based on when the sun sets and sun rises. And the lighting schedule you've got set for them.

He's too young to brumate.

Horsey

Bearded Dragon Egg
i misted him around 6ish when i got home last night from work. he went to bed around 7ish. i came home today and he was laying with his head right down just of the basking rock...both eyes were closed but his mouth was wide open. he seems to have perked up a bit since he been fed. he has now gone back to bask and straight away closed both his eyes. i have the lighting timers set for 7:30 am to 7:30 pm i havent misted him tonight

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
My Baby has been sleepier now with the time change as well...sometimes he starts to fall asleep around 5:00 even with his lights on! I always take him out around 5-7 to let him fall asleep under the blanket with me and then I put him to bed for the night until around 7 am the next morning or if I don't have to work I let him sleep in a little bit just like me :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your lighting schedule should be consistent, On\Off at the same time of the day, everyday. They need a constant Day\Night schedule, electronic timers are invaluable for taking care of this.

Latest posts