• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Okay, so strange question. Here we go with the noob questions again =P

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I know I just posted about this in another person's post, but I was using a day blue light incandescent bulb by Zilla as a basking bulb, before that I was using a halogen floodlight. I noticed Draco was closing his eyes a lot so I figured I would do some trial and error and I changed his basking bulb from the floodlight to the Zilla bulb. Well once I changed it his stress marks went away and he was more active but as far as light goes it was dimmer and the temperature stayed consistent around 102. (Draco is 9 weeks old by the way and I know the temperature should be between 110-115) but he was so active once I did this.

Well I decided to change the bulb back to the floodlight today, 1. because it seemed kind of dim in there and 2. I wanted to see if he would do better with higher temperatures. I was wondering if he was acting less active because he was settling in and maybe it was a coincidence when I changed the bulb.

Anywho ever since I changed the bulb back to the floodlight his stress marks are back and super dark.

Help? Should I just try another kind of bulb or could it be because I disturbed his environment?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "stress marks", but if you're referring to any change in color, that's perfectly normal. Both of my bearded dragons will experience color changes caused by temperature change, lighting change, exposure to water, and other things. The most important thing is that your little buddy get proper lighting. If Draco has been in a new environment for a short period of time (like you just got him/her), the activity change is most likely just adjusting to said new environment.

Bottom line here, if you see more activity with a different heat source, use it. I would say if you want to use the Zilla light, do it, BUT...move the location of the light, OR the basking sight, so temps are higher. You really want to get to that 110-115 range for younger dragons.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Stress marks meaning the dark circles on his belly. If I use the other bulb thats the highest I can get the temp. Thats with the dome directly on the screen. He hasn't had these marks for quite a few days now but they've been back ever since I switched the light. I have the temps that I want with the floodlight but for some reason he seems to be hating this light.

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Okay so I left the floodlight to see how he would do (assuming the stress marks were from me switching his lights around) and surprisingly he's been all over the place today! I thought he was active before but wow I've never seen him run around his tank like this! I guess before he was still adjusting to his viv and me changing the bulb was just a coincidence to him finally settling in. He's been literally running around his viv today though so I'm very happy about that! His marks have gone away now. Now he won't let me pick him up!! Maybe he likes it a little too much in there now :rolleyes:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dark circles on a BD's underside, commonly & inaccurately called 'Stress' marks are a natural part of their markings. Some BDs will display them others won't. While stress can be one of the reasons that they are displayed, it is not the only or main reason. They can be displayed because of temps, mood, lighting, etc.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The dark circles on a BD's underside, commonly & inaccurately called 'Stress' marks are a natural part of their markings. Some BDs will display them others won't. While stress can be one of the reasons that they are displayed, it is not the only or main reason. They can be displayed because of temps, mood, lighting, etc.

Not to hijack, but it always feels good to be right. :D

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ. I was just concerned because he didn't have any dark marks with the other bulb but he's doing awesome now. Very active amd the marks are pretty much gone again.

Latest posts