• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

okay... i know its normal, but its not that healthy

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
k.. lily and rose and been ONLY eating lettuce, im feeding them lettuce, carrots- carrot greens also, grapes, cucumber, and tomato... yesterday they licked the grape but just went back to eating the lettuce.. I KNOW its normal, but still. i wouldnt say its exacly HEALTHY just eating lettuce, should i try not putting the lettuce in next time? or just leave it be? cuz i want the dragons to be healthy! even though i know their a young age, but i need them to be trying other stuff! :p so yeah, any other tips i could try to get them to eat their other veggies?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not a good diet carrots should also be fed sparingly Also the tomato and cucumber use collards,mustard greens,turnip greens ,squash

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
were feeding romain lettuce, i've heard iceburg lettuce is bad for them, because it has no nutrition or something like that, and we have stopped feeding tomatoes. and we'll probaly try alot of new things, but here in orrilia we dont have alot of these things to buy, and for the dandylion leaves.. do you just go out to the yard and pick them? and what do you mean by their leaves? we dont have really "leaves" on them, and im feeling free to ask questions i havnt asked yet! :p

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Pretty much anything with the word lettuce in it is no nutritional value. Dandelions you can feed the leaves and the flower. Picking from the yard is ok as long as you know they haven't been sprayed or the neighbors haven't sprayed in case of drift.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When harvesting from outdoors you MUST be careful. You dont know if the plant has been exposed to pesticides, or fertilizers. YOU may not use them but your nieghbors might, and the plants in your yard are part of the same water table as the entire surrounding area.

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
When harvesting from outdoors you MUST be careful. You dont know if the plant has been exposed to pesticides, or fertilizers. YOU may not use them but your nieghbors might, and the plants in your yard are part of the same water table as the entire surrounding area.
and make sure there is no bugs or stuff on it

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
and make sure there is no bugs or stuff on it
I am confident there are no pesticides being used around here (town frowns on it, which is fine with me). anyway, i always pick dandelion leaves from our yard. However, I bring them in and wash them under cool running water, the same as I would if I had boughten veggies for the people in our house.

Also, I found that the bok choy leaves were a go-to item for the dragon!(i didnt know if the white veins were good for them, or easy to eat, so i just cut them out). the previous owner had only been feeding lettuce. I just didn't put lettuce in as a choice.

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am confident there are no pesticides being used around here (town frowns on it, which is fine with me). anyway, i always pick dandelion leaves from our yard. However, I bring them in and wash them under cool running water, the same as I would if I had boughten veggies for the people in our house.

Also, I found that the bok choy leaves were a go-to item for the dragon!(i didnt know if the white veins were good for them, or easy to eat, so i just cut them out). the previous owner had only been feeding lettuce. I just didn't put lettuce in as a choice.

Great find! and whoever the owner was before you made a bad choice,you're not supposed to feed dragons lettuce. you have to feed them greens, although they look like lettuce they aren't lettuce.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi, as a staple i feed endvie, turnip greens, dandelion greens and flowers, squash. I generally add in another 4-5 different things. I don't feed these everyday, it has worked out to be a 10 day cycle.
Nasturtium flowers and leaves, rocket, capsicum (bell pepper), rocket, bok choy, celery leaves, carrot greens, beetroot greens, pasny flowers, mint, basil, rosemary.
Here is my food bible http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

Latest posts