• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OK need advise on Temp

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I took several readings after letting the tank heat for a few hours. I have a digital thermometer on the back glass. I need advice to see if I have it in the right spot, after 3 hours it reads 94 degrees. I then moved the lid to the side so the light placement has not changed but I can get my arm inside to take a reading with my inferred thermometer, it reads 112 on the top of his basking spot. So I have about a 10 degree different. Where do I need to place my digital? I am using a 75Watt basking bulb and a Repti Glo 10.0 for the UVB.

Temp4.jpg

Temp2.jpg

Temp1.jpg

Temp.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's an easy one, you are taking the temps in the right spot with the Infrared, in the wrong spot with the digital. It is a heck of a lot hotter directly below the heat bulb, than it is off to the side. The sensor should be placed on the basking spot to get accurate temps. You could run the wire under the carpet & fasten the sensor to the basking spot in order to have constant temp readings. Similar to this pic ...

TEMPS011Text800x600.jpg

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Awsome. I just moved it as you suggested. I am not getting better readings. Thanks
only after a few min I am reading 119 I guess I need a lower watt bulb

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks. I think I got the temp good. i would like it a bit lower but right now it is at 115.1 on the basking spot. Cool side is 76.6. One more thing is it normal for him to lay on the cool side for long periods of time. This is the first time he has done it but he has been there for a couple hours.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks. I think I got the temp good. i would like it a bit lower but right now it is at 115.1 on the basking spot. Cool side is 76.6. One more thing is it normal for him to lay on the cool side for long periods of time. This is the first time he has done it but he has been there for a couple hours.
Yep. For as long as they think they need to cool down for. That's why the temp gradient. As long as he's not spending most of his time there, you're good. I wouldn't worry too much about 115.1, as long as he can get close enough to the UVB for it to be beneficial without getting too hot.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Quite likely just where it is comfortable for the time being. Being at 115F, any rise in the ambient room temps, will also affect the enclosure temps, bringing the basking temp dangerously high. I'll give you an idea on how to bring your temps into more comfortable & likely Optimal ranges for you & your BD.

A) Prior to lights on or after lights out, when bulbs are cool:

Insert the Heat bulb in the left hand socket of the dual fixture & the UVB bulb in the Right hand socket.

Move the dual light fixture 5"-6" to the left towards the cool side from where it is situated now, keeping the same orientation.

Now place the Basking spot directly below the UVB bulb that is in the Right hand socket.

B) After the the enclosure lights have been on for a few hours, to heat everything in the enclosure to normal operating range:

1st: Check the Cool side temp & if is now still below 80F-85F, inch everything, Fixture & Basking Spot a little more to the left. If it is higher, inch everything slightly to the right. Recheck the cool side temp after leaving an appropriate amount of time for the temps to adjust. Continue this until the cool side temp is optimal.

Now, if your basking spot is not closer to the desired 110F vicinity - if it is below 110F, leaving the fixture in the same position, move the Basking spot slightly to the left towards the Basking bulb. If it is above 110F, then do the opposite & move the Basking spot slightly to the Right.

Continue this until you have achieved the Optimal Basking temp desired. Each time leaving an appropriate amount of time for the temperatures to adjust to normal operating range.

Doing this, should enable you to achieve perfect optimal temps in both areas.

Latest posts