• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Odd" behavior

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Within the past day or so, Reptar has been really hyper and restless, I guess. She just finished shedding the skin on her face, and yesterday I just got her a new Reptisun 10.0 and hood. I got her from previous owners in November. She is 3 years old, and has never had a light other than a little old reptiglo light. Could her new behavior be a result of the new light? I am concerned because she keeps rubbing her face against the glass, and I've never really seen her act this way before. Thanks!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rubbing against the glass ?
I could see how increased activity would be a result of the new uvb, but the rubbing... is she glass dancing ? going back and forth along the glass ?
Hope this helps.

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, if anyone can provide any helpful advice I would appreciate it. She is almost constantly trying to "dig" through the glass, has pooped about three times a day for the past two days, and she's been super hyper when I try to hold her. She's also been pooping on me and the furniture like crazy. These are all sudden changes in behavior for her (since I first got her in November). It's getting to where we can't hold her because if we do, she'll just poop, regardless of how many times she's pooped that day. Any helpful advice or info would be appreciated.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A new uvb can cause her to have some behavior changes due to not having the correct one. But pooping that much really isn't normal. At first when you said digging all the time my first though is that she has eggs. Even if she has never been with a male, females can develop eggs. Try getting a container with sand, put it in her tank and put her in that. Possibly that is the issue. Also, take a look at her belly and feel it. Can you see any lumps or feel anything?

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks! I felt her belly, no egg-like lumps. I was reading a few other forums, and they were talking about how they want to get out and explore. I would have no problem with that, except I can't trust her not to poop, even when she has had a normal poop earlier in the day. Her droppings look healthy, and she will have one big one in the morning, and then poop little ones whenever I hold her. Is this her body adjusting to finally having an adequate UVB light?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes "glass dancing" is very normal. But pooping like you mentioned isn't really normal. Most go once a day, of course they are all different. The new light could be helping to regulate things. If you deicde to take her out, make sure that you do it in a beardie friendly enviornment. They can get into the strangest places.

If the pooping continues I would suggest a vet visit. You can start with just a fecal test.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree that pooping that much is not normal. What does her diet consist of?

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She eats three crickets daily, and a salad that consists of yellow squash, zucchini, snow peas, and kale. The past few days it has been kale only, because we ran out of the others. It has only been in the past day or two that she's pooped so much.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3 crix a day...every day? Everybody feeds prey food different at this age. Since a beardie should only be eating about 25 or so crix a week at that age that is okay. Most prefer to feed either once or twice a week. But if 3 a day is working, that's fine.

Kale...not a good for choice. So this is going to sound strange since your beardies problem is pooping too much, but kale isn't good because it can cause calcium binding. Also, if you are feeding yellow squash and zucchini daily that could be the cause of your problem. Squash given occasionally shredded over a salad is fine. But squash can cause more bms. For instance if a beardie is having a hard time pooping, we suggest getting some canned squash and given a bit to help along bms. I would stop those two things. Try some greens like collard greens, escarole, bok choy, swiss chard, chicory. Those are some good ones. If after stopping the squash the pooping is still excessive, definitely a vet appointment would be needed.

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just a little update, she has been trying to get out of her cage non-stop since 6:30, and pooped twice. Good news is she calmed right down when I picked her up, and now she's sitting still on my shoulder.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great. Some beardie enjoy being out of their tanks than others. My guy, although I always took him out daily, was content to be in the tank. He did glass dance occassionally but not often.

Change the food and keep an eye on the pooping. Do you soak him in the tub for hydration?

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would, but I think she's already hydrated enough. Liquid comes out as well as poop, but it's not excessive. I have been misting her though. I'll probably let her wander around the house for a while, just gotta follow her around with paper towels!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yah...no I don't want you to. I was wondering if you have done that, I was hoping actually you didnt' and that by putting him in the water he would explell all that he has to offer, lol. Don't bother misting, it does nothing. They don't absorb water through their scales. If you want to drop water on his nose and see if he licks it, that is fine.

Keep us updated.

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just don't understand why she's constantly trying to get out of her terrarium, she'll sit on her rock for about to minutes, and the rest of the time frantically try to get out of the cage. She keeps jumping at the walls. I'm really starting to get worried.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try covering the outside of her tank so she can't see out. Possibly she is over stimulated and needs a break.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks like Lisa covered the kale. Not good. Only on occassion or not at all.

Has anyone gone over your temps and what you are using to measure the temps?

jamedl7516

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
In the past two days she's been doing this, I've noticed she only acts like that in the early morning to early afternoon. She usually calms down around mid afternoon. As I said before I got her from a previous owner who did not provide her with an adequate uvb light source, and I'm wondering if she's just getting used to a new level of uvb? Anyways... her temps are good, I check them digitally, and we are going to change up the veggies. Hopefully her bms will improve to at most once a day. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Latest posts