• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not growing

Lilya18

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I’ve had my bearded dragon Rex for awhile now and I’ve noticed that since we got him he hasn’t really grown at all. He’s still a baby and he’s 6 inches. We got him from a pet store about 4-5 months ago. Everything in his tank is perfect and he’s been eating fine. I don’t know if there’s Something wrong or if he’s just a slow grower.

lucasb05

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I’ve had my bearded dragon Rex for awhile now and I’ve noticed that since we got him he hasn’t really grown at all. He’s still a baby and he’s 6 inches. We got him from a pet store about 4-5 months ago. Everything in his tank is perfect and he’s been eating fine. I don’t know if there’s Something wrong or if he’s just a slow grower.
r u using calcium and vitamin powder??? UVB?

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes I dust all of his bugs and salads in calcium and vitamin powder and he’s has Both UVA and UVB
Same though I don't dust all his bugs as Dexter is just a baby and eats 5 times a day. I'm worried about too much calcium and vitamin intake, but I make sure that plenty get light dustings. He's not eating reg fruits and veges yet, just baby food ones, so I've added a a tiny bit of his calcium and vitamins to the jars I'm feeding him from. As for his crickets and roaches, along with the their water jelly and food I got from the pet store, I also add a bottle cap full of his baby food to their containers every other day. I also put bits of the veges I use in the morning to make his vege water into their containers. As I'm making a bug run twice weekly it doesn't take much to clean out the containers in between. I also save my egg cartons now so I can put a new piece in once a week. Helps with the smell. lol

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Same though I don't dust all his bugs as Dexter is just a baby and eats 5 times a day. I'm worried about too much calcium and vitamin intake, but I make sure that plenty get light dustings. He's not eating reg fruits and veges yet, just baby food ones, so I've added a a tiny bit of his calcium and vitamins to the jars I'm feeding him from. As for his crickets and roaches, along with the their water jelly and food I got from the pet store, I also add a bottle cap full of his baby food to their containers every other day. I also put bits of the veges I use in the morning to make his vege water into their containers. As I'm making a bug run twice weekly it doesn't take much to clean out the containers in between. I also save my egg cartons now so I can put a new piece in once a week. Helps with the smell. lol
In the 9 days I've had Dexter he's grown about a half inch to an inch. I can tell the difference in his size from when I first adopted him to now. I adopted him when he was just tad over 6 weeks old. Hoping there's nothing too wrong with your baby, but if you've had him for that long I think he would have grown some. What kind of beardy is your baby? I've heard their are dwarf varieties. Not sure if they may grow differently than standards do?.?.

Lilya18

Bearded Dragon Egg
In the 9 days I've had Dexter he's grown about a half inch to an inch. I can tell the difference in his size from when I first adopted him to now. I adopted him when he was just tad over 6 weeks old. Hoping there's nothing too wrong with your baby, but if you've had him for that long I think he would have grown some. What kind of beardy is your baby? I've heard their are dwarf varieties. Not sure if they may grow differently than standards do?.?.
I’m not sure what kind he is since we got him from the pet store but he’s most likely a leatherback with something else. I don’t know why he won’t grow. He stopped eating his vegetables and the vet said that I should force feed them to him because that might be the problem. So we just blended all of his veggies and then he eats that off his nose. Hopefully this will help. Rex has had many health issues before so I’m really hoping he’s okay

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’m not sure what kind he is since we got him from the pet store but he’s most likely a leatherback with something else. I don’t know why he won’t grow. He stopped eating his vegetables and the vet said that I should force feed them to him because that might be the problem. So we just blended all of his veggies and then he eats that off his nose. Hopefully this will help. Rex has had many health issues before so I’m really hoping he’s okay
Awww, if that's him in your profile pic he's a cutie. He looks healthy. :) Sorry to hear he's had health issues in the past. Hoping the blended veges help and he goes through a growth spurt.

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
Which pet store did you get him from? If it was a chain like Petco, many of those places don't take proper care of their reptiles. Usually when a dragon isn't growing it has malnutrition. You may want to finda vetanarian., Have him checked out

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Oh okay I always see little flakes of skin on his chin but I’ll definitely check with the vet if he continues to not grow
I would still take him to the vet and if you haven’t already get him/her a fecal exam to rule out parasites, in case your not sure parasites can also prevent growth

Lilya18

Bearded Dragon Egg
Which pet store did you get him from? If it was a chain like Petco, many of those places don't take proper care of their reptiles. Usually when a dragon isn't growing it has malnutrition. You may want to finda vetanarian., Have him checked out
Yeah we got him from petsmart a few months ago. He’s gone to a vet before because he’s had a lot of health issues but I’ll talk to them about it. It may have to do with his other stuff

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah we got him from petsmart a few months ago. He’s gone to a vet before because he’s had a lot of health issues but I’ll talk to them about it. It may have to do with his other stuff
I would suggest that if you ever want to get another one, find a breeder.you may pay more but they will guarantee their reptiles

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
U need to dust his crickets in calcium prosperous free powder 5times a week!! He should be eating crickets 3times a day like 70-90 amd Dubia Roaches Only and veggies/greens a bowl in the morning one hour after basking and one around 4pm with dandelions, collard greens, mustard greens, yellow squash, snap peas and zucchini. Add 2-5 greens/veggies a day; dice it small and mix it in a feeding bowl. U can also add butternut squash and green beans. Those are thecstaple best ones; do that ASAP and lots of crickets! Do not feed meal worms or fake dried food it’s very bad fir them. When he gets 2years old u can add 2 horn worms as a treat a few times a week and superworms are good as protein as well. And ZooMed basking moon heat bulb and Reptisun 10.0 T5 tubular long UVB bulb. Order it on amazon ASAP!! Place it in the back of th tank to cover 2/3 of it mainly on the hot side get a 24 inch one and u should have some area in th cool side that the bulb doesn’t reach to and the basking in the front area. He needs calcium and UVb ASAP!! He has stunted growth because of it. And only feed him crickets 2-3 times a Day calcium dusted on at least 40 crickets once a day and the other feedings, no calcium UVb/heat needs to be on 12-14 Hours a day. No coil or colored bulbs ever. This burns their eyes and hurts them. And pure dark At nite; no colored red, black or coil bulbs ever!!! Get a ceramic heat lamp for nite time it emits no light at all. Get on this ASAP and u will see a huge difference!! Beardies Like light and bright and Room to roam so the ZooMed basking heat lamp and Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular bulb and calcium powder everyday!! Or 5times a week pour some calcium on the crickets amd loghtky dust them so they are powder white!!

Latest posts