• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nose swollen after skin shed

Pascal Thiele

Bearded Dragon Egg
The left nostril of my bearded dragon is swollen after shedding his skin. I observed the skin getting shed on the right nostril just fine, but the left one was clogged with loose skin for while. When I then tried to gently remove it myself, the end of the skin which was sticking out of the nostril was already so dry that it just fell apart. Though it seems the inner end never got out.

The shedding happened roughly a half year ago and the left nostril started to grow slowly a week after. However, it does not seem to get worse at its current state.

He eats just fine, poop looks normal and overall he does not seem to be restricted by his swollen nose in any way, but it still seems abnormal. Are there things I can do to support skin shedding specifically in contorted areas like the nostrils, or is it maybe not even a shedding issue?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• _DSC0024-small.png
    _DSC0024-small.png
    575.6 KB · Views: 184
  • _DSC0026-small.png
    _DSC0026-small.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 160

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You never want to pull any shed off especially from the nose and ears.. Their nostrils have a piece of cartilage that is a flap that they can close to keep things from going in there, and their ears is an incredibly thin and fragile covering.. It is very likely that when you pulled the shed out it damaged that flap. And you have him on sand so it's likely he has gotten sand in there and it's gotten stuck there causing inflammation and irritation.
Have you had him seen by a reptile vet to see if they can help in any way (not alot they can do now but maybe there is)

When they start shedding their nostrils just allow them to rub it free, and any other areas of shed bathing them to help loosen it. You can use a soft toothbrush to gently scrub (in the direction of the scales) can help loosen it for them never to pull so not to damage scales underneath. Aloe liquid can be found in walmart/walgreens can be added to their bath when the shed is thick..

Pascal Thiele

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the help and information, I will try bathing him.

Though, I think that I luckily did not damage anything in his nostril, since I only got to grab the skin and it immediately fell apart. I am assuming that he got too much sand in there on his own, when he started shedding.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi is it just me or does his eye look really swollen too? possible infection going on maybe? You may need some anti inflams and/or antibiotics

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hi is it just me or does his eye look really swollen too? possible infection going on maybe? You may need some anti inflams and/or antibiotics

Yes the eye does look swollen. This beardie need a vet ASAP.

Latest posts