• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Normal looking poop

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
So things have been going good with our beardie. Eating his salad that I offered. The other day I offered a little bit of a red bell pepper, which he seemed to like. Today I offered a some more. And today his poop is more watery then it has been normally it is been the consistency of malleable paste (not that I was playing with it) [emoji2]. The only other thing that has changed is I offered kale instead of collard greens.
408b72266213cc795cdf73e44b24d8d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Definitely not a normal poop. Try changing his diet back to what he was eating before. If future movements are solid, he probably has a food sensitivity, which isn't unheard of. If he keeps having loose or watery bowel movements, you'll want to have a fecal exam done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I agree with ^^^ go back to the normal diet and see what happens... I'm thinking the extra moisture in the pepper made things looser..if what he's eating has alot of moisture this will happen kinda like if you feed too many hornworms..
If it doesn't go back to normal then getting a fecal done is a good idea.

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
Yea I agree with ^^^ go back to the normal diet and see what happens... I'm thinking the extra moisture in the pepper made things looser..if what he's eating has alot of moisture this will happen kinda like if you feed too many hornworms..
If it doesn't go back to normal then getting a fecal done is a good idea.
I was kind of think that the bell peppers had a lot of water in them when I had cut them up. Is their a trick to keeping the vegetables from wilting quickly. The collard greens and kale are only sold in big bundles. I am not a big fan of kale so I won't eat up the extra.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was kind of think that the bell peppers had a lot of water in them when I had cut them up. Is their a trick to keeping the vegetables from wilting quickly. The collard greens and kale are only sold in big bundles. I am not a big fan of kale so I won't eat up the extra.

yes there is...buy your greens and clean them, cut the stems off, cut into large chunks and get yourself a flat big tupperware and layer your greens with paper towels as your paper towels get damp put new ones in... it's the water making them go bad quicker.. this will lengthen the life of your greens tremendously!!
Kale is also one that you only want to do occasionally or along with other greens

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
Odd behavior today, sometimes our beardie will go on the bottom of his enclosure and sleep for the night. Within an hour and a half he will make his way up to his basking spot. Today his lights came on around 6:30 and by the time I went to be with my dad he was still laying under his hiding spot. I went back home around 10:30 to feed him only to find him in the same spot. I have moved him closer to the basking light. I will check in again on him in a bit, but for now I have to head back and help my mom with my father.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What's your basking spot temp? It may be a bit cool for his liking.

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
What's your basking spot temp? It may be a bit cool for his liking.

I put the two wire temperature gauge that I bought from the pet store and it shows that his basking spot is 102.3 F. I have an inferred thermometer but I don't get good readings off of the wooden perch

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
For a little baby that's not too low, but some like the 105 to 107 range. You could try getting him an inch closer to the heat source (height wise) and seeing what he does and what the temp reads. He may just enjoy basking though. My boy spends a lot of his day basking off and on.

Infrareds can be tricky with certain surfaces that's for sure. And if you try to read something cool or cold, they get really crazy readings. Not that I ran around the house checking the temperature of everything :)

35 Dodge

Hatchling Dragon
For a little baby that's not too low, but some like the 105 to 107 range. You could try getting him an inch closer to the heat source (height wise) and seeing what he does and what the temp reads. He may just enjoy basking though. My boy spends a lot of his day basking off and on.

Infrareds can be tricky with certain surfaces that's for sure. And if you try to read something cool or cold, they get really crazy readings. Not that I ran around the house checking the temperature of everything :)

Our beardie is back to a more normal looking poop as far as texture it is not runny like it had been. I have added a second light to our setup. I placed a black square under it and the temperature registers 106 using both temperature devices that I have. That being said, he continues to basks in his preferred location which is around the mid 90's.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's fantastic! I'm glad that he's doing better.

Latest posts