• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Noob owner

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I live in Salt Lake and was at a local pet store buying a rat for my Burm when I saw a lady with a shoe box..she has a 5 yr old beardie...cutie as well. She was giving in to the pet store, they wouldnt take it so she said she would drive out to the woods and let him go. My first thought is he will die, so gave me him, plus the entire set up (cage, heat dishes, hides etc.) All I did was buy a uvb light, calcium and a few meal worms. I have never owned one but he is a cool little guy plus I didnt want him to die

I have already done plenty of research but my need a few tips or pointers. The only spot I have for him is by a window but it should get to the mid 60's. My apt never gets below 70. The lady said he hasnt had any heat for 5-6 days :-(

thanks for the rant

here he is

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
OMG! Poor thing! Are you sure it's a boy? He looks so chubby :) what a good looking dragon. And a fellow SLC person. What is the cage size, substrate you're using, basking temps, cool side temps during the day?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
6.jpg

Thanks for taking him in ...
icon_thumright-1.gif

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
She said "his" name is spike and thinks hes about 5 yrs old. He is in a 40 gallon with a screen lid sand. a water dish, feed dish and a little mountain. He spent lots of time on the mountain because thats where the heat is and now is sleeping in his little cave

ok

Heat side is about 95
cool side mid 80's

right now (night time with heat turned off)

heat side 77
cool side is low 70's

He was really active earlier then I turned his lights/heat off for the night and he crawled in the little cave and hasnt moved. Sleeping I guess.

My only issue is he is beside a window so Im hoping he wont get too cold at night

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Keep an eye on it. Shouldn't get below mid 60's at night. Germ would tell you not to put it near a window, but with the temps in SLC right now, as long as your window stays closed he won't get too cold. Heat side could be bumped up a bit, cool side sounds good. A 40gal is a little small for a full grown male but will make do. You can still get the proper heat gradient. Sand... if it's the calcium sand from pet stores isn't good for beardies. I know it says it's safe, and most pet store owners will swear by it, but it's not. Causes impaction, they don't digest it. It's best to go with a non particle substrate, in my opinion. If you keep up on their baths, 1-2 every week, you can use something like childrens washed play sand if you run it through a sifter.

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK. I was thinking of putting the green "turf" in there once I do a full clean next week. What is a good temp to have? I thought a care sheet said around 95 for adults. The setup came with a 150 watt basking bulb. I was thinking of switching to a 150 watt cerramic bulb like I have for my burm. Yea I hate to have him near a window but it happened fast so I plan on making room someone for him later on.

thanks for the help

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sure! No trouble at all. That's what we're here for. 100-110 is good for an adult. I like to keep my hottest spot at 110 even for my adults. Cool side should be right about where you have it.

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sure! No trouble at all. That's what we're here for. 100-110 is good for an adult. I like to keep my hottest spot at 110 even for my adults. Cool side should be right about where you have it.

Ok then a cerramic heater should be fine. I just convinced the wife to move the computer and get him away from the window lol

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BDs thrive on Bright white light (UVA), I don't recommend replacing your 'Daylight' bulb with one that doesn't shed light.

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Germ good to know. I will reasses the temps on the hot side tomorrow and see if I need a new bulb or not

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Make sure to look at it only after the lights have been on for a few hours. Before that they're not going to be quite accurate, and the temp taker should be directly in the basking spot.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
you said you got him meal worms, while he might eat them, from what i have been told they are not the best choice in live food for a dragon. someone correct me if im wrong but i think they are high in fat and low in anything thats really good for them. there shell is also kinda crunchy.

i sware by crickets as they are easy to feed and pretty much every pet store has them.

that "green turf" works fine, i use it myself.

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I plan on grabbing him some crickets later today. One more question. He is very active, cruising around the cage and scratching at the glass. Is this a good sign? Should I get him out and handle him more?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many/most feeders we feed, including crickets, are lacking in what is good for them, which is why they all must be gutloaded prior to feeding them. You may find some enlightening info in the following thread. Using mealworms or not, as part of the diet, if you are informed, is nothing more than Personal preference. Many Myths are associated with them, but they have been used since the start of the hobby.

Mealie Basher 'Challenge'

Periodic pacing & glass climbing is a normal occurrence. In the case of adult females, can be a sign of them wanting to lay eggs.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Extended time outside of the enclosure, robs them of the proper time required under the heat & UVB. We go to a lot of trouble to provide the proper environment, which doesn't do any good when they are not in it ;). Although most BDs 'Tolerate' handling very well, most would be just as happy to be left alone.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello & Welcome 2 the Forum. Thanks for saving the dragon ;)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Check it out! Let us know for sure if it's a boy ;)
Oh, and in the first week, you shouldn't handle him much at all. He needs to acclimate.

Latest posts