• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NO idea what's going on with this little one...

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
We've had Absolem for about 2 weeks and little one does not seem to be doing well. A good 70% of his time is spent like this... Dark. Lethargic. Squinting and swollen. We think he's about 2-3 months old, and he has very little appetite. Doesn't drink so I have to do droplets on this lil snoot. Just seems like he's scared all the time. Breathes heavily (puffing throat while exhaling). Does this weird "S" wiggle after eating crickets. Gets super discouraged with his food... He's not actively aggressive, but blackbeard's FREQUENTLY and has constant stress marks. He's not skiddish, but has no interest in being held or touched. He'll kind of let it happen for a minute, and then back away.
All of his conditions are optimal. 40gal tank, tube UVB, 2 basking bulbs, ceramic for nighttime. Awesome temp gradient throughout. Humidity always between 30-40%. Has a bask spot, hide, logs, live plants... The works. He's in an area of the house with low foot traffic... I'm just so unsure about this little guy and I just need some advice... He's technically my husband's, so I can't just pull the trigger for a vet visit. Helpppppppp

Attachments

• PXL_20220126_032507052.jpg
    PXL_20220126_032507052.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We've had Absolem for about 2 weeks and little one does not seem to be doing well. A good 70% of his time is spent like this... Dark. Lethargic. Squinting and swollen. We think he's about 2-3 months old, and he has very little appetite. Doesn't drink so I have to do droplets on this lil snoot. Just seems like he's scared all the time. Breathes heavily (puffing throat while exhaling). Does this weird "S" wiggle after eating crickets. Gets super discouraged with his food... He's not actively aggressive, but blackbeard's FREQUENTLY and has constant stress marks. He's not skiddish, but has no interest in being held or touched. He'll kind of let it happen for a minute, and then back away.
All of his conditions are optimal. 40gal tank, tube UVB, 2 basking bulbs, ceramic for nighttime. Awesome temp gradient throughout. Humidity always between 30-40%. Has a bask spot, hide, logs, live plants... The works. He's in an area of the house with low foot traffic... I'm just so unsure about this little guy and I just need some advice... He's technically my husband's, so I can't just pull the trigger for a vet visit. Helpppppppp
What brand and bulb is the uvb and is it a T 5 or T 8 and where in the tank is it these bulbs have certain distance and placement depending on the screen
Next basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- we need to start there

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
What brand and bulb is the uvb and is it a T 5 or T 8 and where in the tank is it these bulbs have certain distance and placement depending on the screen
Next basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- we need to start there
We have a reptisun T8, placed at the back of the tank angling slightly outwards to get towards the front at the very top of the tank, not going through the screen.. we modified it haha.
His bask sits about 109° usually, I take temp probably every 2 hours w our probe (I'm a stay at home mom so I'm here always)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have a reptisun T8, placed at the back of the tank angling slightly outwards to get towards the front at the very top of the tank, not going through the screen.. we modified it haha.
His bask sits about 109° usually, I take temp probably every 2 hours w our probe (I'm a stay at home mom so I'm here always)
Please position the T 8 directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- the 109 is a surface temp correct? Is there a clear plastic cover over the bulb? If there is take it off you want the bulb exposed

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you feeding insects no bigger than the space between eyes? Please post pictures of him and his lighting -

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
ieena any chance you could post a picture of your set up. It's easier to see if there are any glaring problems that way

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's his current setup and how he is right now... He's eaten maybe 2 crickets today, and I think tried a bite of kale. Had to do some droplets on his snoot for him to drink.. he was cruising around his tank seemingly happy a couple hours ago, and now we're back to dark and lethargic... I know he's starting a shed (his nose is starting to lift) but my gut is telling me there's something more...

The 3rd picture is of him the other day, during one of his alert and happy periods.

Attachments

• PXL_20220126_201426325.jpg
    PXL_20220126_201426325.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220126_200753207.jpg
    PXL_20220126_200753207.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220124_233021511.jpg
    PXL_20220124_233021511.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please position the T 8 directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- the 109 is a surface temp correct? Is there a clear plastic cover over the bulb? If there is take it off you want the bulb exposed
I need to redo the whole setup I feel, just some tweaks. The only thing that makes that difficult is he's technically my husband's beardie and it's hard for me to do anything for him aside from feeding because he's "not mine" and it stirs the pot when I try and make changes....

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you feeding insects no bigger than the space between eyes? Please post pictures of him and his lighting -
All small to medium crickets smaller than the space between his eyes, small dubia roaches, occasional mealworms and waxworms.. but now he seems to be not interested in any of it.

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
I need to redo the whole setup I feel, just some tweaks. The only thing that makes that difficult is he's technically my husband's beardie and it's hard for me to do anything for him aside from feeding because he's "not mine" and it stirs the pot when I try and make changes....
And yes 109 is surface.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
can I ask what the three bulbs are over the tank. Obviously I can see you have a UV tube as well but I don't understand the 3 light set up across the full length of the tank

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Also are you recording the humidity levels and is that water bowl near to a heat bulb thats used all day?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All small to medium crickets smaller than the space between his eyes, small dubia roaches, occasional mealworms and waxworms.. but now he seems to be not interested in any of it.
Please no more meal worms they have a exoskeleton on them that is harsh on babies stomachs - the wax worms please feed very sparingly they are very fatty

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
can I ask what the three bulbs are over the tank. Obviously I can see you have a UV tube as well but I don't understand the 3 light set up across the full length of the tank
The two in the double are his basking bulbs. He's a little guy in a 40 gal and we live in an old house that gets real cold, without both of the 100s his basking spot only gets to like 90 at most.

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please no more meal worms they have a exoskeleton on them that is harsh on babies stomachs - the wax worms please feed very sparingly they are very fatty
I've been tracking his bowel movements like a crazy woman and will only give him a mealie if he's drank water and pooped before hand. We're trying to supplement with the wax worms right now since he won't eat much of anything at all... He gets his vitamins and calcium dust as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The two in the double are his basking bulbs. He's a little guy in a 40 gal and we live in an old house that gets real cold, without both of the 100s his basking spot only gets to like 90 at most.
What is the wattage of the basking bulbs ? And do you have a CHE for heat at nite --- temps at nite should be 65-75

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've been tracking his bowel movements like a crazy woman and will only give him a mealie if he's drank water and pooped before hand. We're trying to supplement with the wax worms right now since he won't eat much of anything at all... He gets his vitamins and calcium dust as well.
Hes hooked on the wax worms --- you can feed 1-3 medium super worms every other day on his salads - but you dont want him hooked on wax worms they are like candy did you get your UVB repositioned

ieena444

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hes hooked on the wax worms --- you can feed 1-3 medium super worms every other day on his salads - but you dont want him hooked on wax worms they are like candy
He doesn't care for them... He doesn't care for anything right now, that kind of why we're trying the wax worms to just get SOMETHING in him.

Latest posts