• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie question about Brumation?

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok i am a new beardie , but thanks to you guys i have had perfect tank lighting, heat, etc setup. I live up in alaska and just recently starting yesterday Roach(my beardie) went under the newspaper and went to sleep i got worried and picked her up to make sure shes ok and shes fine. I did read your FAQ and she has been avoiding the basking spot so i just wanna make sure shes going into burmation and do i still feed her and stuff? cause ive been doing that

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome! How old is your beardie?

Glad you found the fact sheet helpful.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It could be brumation.

Couple of things though. I know you read the FAQ sheet, but can you go over your setup?
1. What is the make and model your UV?
2. What is your basking temp?
3. What is your cool side temp?
4. What are you using to measure your temps?
5. What is your substrate?
6. When was the last time she pooped?
7. How often do your bathe her?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
brumation can often be mistaken for parasite infestations man. As a precaution i always take in a fecal sample to my vet before i let my guys go down. better to be safe than very sorry.

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
It could be brumation.

Couple of things though. I know you read the FAQ sheet, but can you go over your setup?
1. What is the make and model your UV? One you guys reccommened the Reptisun 10 or something i threw the box away
2. What is your basking temp? 90-103 on a rock
3. What is your cool side temp? 80+
4. What are you using to measure your temps? inside stick on tempature and digital tempatures
5. What is your substrate? I only use newspaper
6. When was the last time she pooped?Yesterday
7. How often do your bathe her? Everyother day

1. What is the make and model your UV? One you guys reccommened the Reptisun 10 or something i threw the box away
2. What is your basking temp? 90-103 on a rock
3. What is your cool side temp? 80+
4. What are you using to measure your temps? inside stick on tempature and digital tempatures
5. What is your substrate? I only use newspaper
6. When was the last time she pooped?Yesterday
7. How often do your bathe her? Every other day

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Reptisun 10.0 is a awesome bulb. YOu got the tube one right?

Only thing i see wrong in your setup is that the stick on thermometers suck bad. Off by as much as 20 degrees at times. what you need to get is this http://www.tempgun.com/order.html#pe1 accurate to withing 1/100th of a degree.
THis will let you know where your temps truly sit at.

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well i did say i have a digital Thermometer along with the stick on ones, but im currently inbetween jobs right now and i am cutting it close enough with feeding, it sucks but its life. And yes i got the tube light.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry i wasnt being mean. i just overlooked the digital thing.
i honestly didnt see that word.

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
sorry i wasnt being mean. i just overlooked the digital thing.
i honestly didnt see that word.

Sorry you must have interpreted what i typed a little wrong and i was not intending you were being mean just letting you know my situation , i bought the tank ,stand ,and everything inside of it for 25 bucks the only thing i bought was the light and digital therm. I just want to know if my lizard is hibernating or if i need to take it to the vet. Her eyes and and everything are wide open when in my hands and walks

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Darlin... it's not just that we can say yes or no... we aren't vets. Now I will suggest that adults or juvenilles over the age of 7 months can and will go down for brumation for several weeks to a couple of months... However, fecals MUST be done first. The reason for this is that parasite infections look and act just like brumation... If parasites are present, and your dragon goes to sleep, that just gives parasites a wide open field to do terrible damage to your dragon... Has been known to be fatal even...

If you need help, please ask.. there are always ways to get things done...
Janie

nrokin

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Darlin... it's not just that we can say yes or no... we aren't vets. Now I will suggest that adults or juvenilles over the age of 7 months can and will go down for brumation for several weeks to a couple of months... However, fecals MUST be done first. The reason for this is that parasite infections look and act just like brumation... If parasites are present, and your dragon goes to sleep, that just gives parasites a wide open field to do terrible damage to your dragon... Has been known to be fatal even...

If you need help, please ask.. there are always ways to get things done...
Janie

I understand you are not vets but from the FAQ you guys seem knowledgeable in brumating compared to me as seeing i have not even owned this beardie for a year, which was why i came here to ask you guys if it seemed as if mine was going into hibernation or not. Ill just setup a vet appointment and get a poop test done then. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You dont really need to bring the animal itself in to the vet (unless the vet requires you to). YOu can just ask to have a fecal exam run and bring in a fresh sample to be examined. Saves you some money (i.e. no visitation fee) just the minimal expense of the fecal exam.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All your setup looks great.

I think what we are all saying is that beardies are horrible at letting know something is wrong. And often, it is too late. Yours could most definitely be brumating, but there may be an underlying issue. The signs of a sick beardie and a brumating beardie are very similar.

If you could get a fecal done, it would be beneficial.

jynx77

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
get a fecal done its better to be safe then sorry... my beardie did the same i took her to a vet and ended up getting her dewormed twice and that helped alot with her sluggishness (she has pinworms)...I did learn though that it is normal for these lizards to have worms as a normal part of their microbiota(such as pinworms) so a little is ok but its when they have to many they start to cause problems. also i realized as for my beardie she needs to be out and running around for her to poop otherwise she will go many many days without and become impacted... hopes this helps a bit... also make sure you get a vet that is knowledgable on bearded dragons they can answer many questions for you

Latest posts