• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie looking for guidance on building a viv

Leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone! I have wanted a BD for some time now. I am planning on making the habitat and want some guidance/advice.

I am thinking of taking an unused dresser we have here at home and converting it to a viv. My thoughts are this.

1)Remove the drawers and the center piece of wood
2) replace the flimsy cardboard bottom and back with 1/2 plywood (recommenations on what type of plywood would be appreciated)
3) Place ceramic tiles on the bottom as the substrate but not permantly adhere them. That way I can remove them for cleaning
4) Cut to large vent opening at the top of the back of the dresser and install heat register type vent covers
5) We have a lot of large-ish size river rocks around where I live so I was going to get several of those to stack as a basking area (baked in the oven to sterilize)
6) good size piece of log or something to climb on on the oposite side of viv (again, baked in oven to sterilize)
7) Reptisun 10.0 UVB light to go the length of the dresser attached at the very back top of inside of dresser
8) some sort of UVA lighting for the basking side of the viv but I don't have a clue what kind I need
9) some sort of hide area

How does all of this sound? I've been trying to do my resaearch for a few months now.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've never built one. But here's a link with some samples from our members. I know Zebraflavencs and Craiger are seasoned viv builders. I believe Zebraflavencs has done the dresser cutout before.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome. I have not built mine yet but I have the dresser and using it as a tank stand right now. you can adhere the tiles if you seal the tiles and grout.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your setup sounds good to me.

7) Reptisun 10.0 UVB light to go the length of the dresser attached at the very back top of inside of dresser
some sort of UVA lighting for the basking side of the viv but I don't have a clue what kind I need

The UVA for baskong is not essential. You can use regular household bulbs. Theyre much cheaper and work great. Youll just have to play around with different wattages to get the desired temps.

ANd Yes, heres Beardie Love link to dresser/cabinet viv
http://mybeardie.com/bearded-dragon...s/building-a-new-enclosure/msg30107/#msg30107

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did one of those..
Okay , for wood ply, use Oak if you can..
Tiles are great, place paper towels under them.
You will want to seal in as much as possible the wood, Polyurethane is great ! I used 3 coats, in a well vented area.

Vents on side and perhaps on top as well, for good air movement.. Make it so you can cover them if needed in cooler weather.

That log, did you remove the bark before you baked ? If not, do that and bake once again. Burrowing critters you know...

You would want a uvb to go the full length or just short of, the enclosure.. Mounted so the dragon can get within 6-8" at the highest point it can climb.
Tack the electrical cords tight to the side, so dragon can't climb those.. No need for two.
Another thought... You want the uvb to shine down, for the best exposure.. on the side there is limited emittance.

Hold off on the hide, until the dragon is acclimated.. You want to be able to see this dragon at all times.. I have used two house hold bricks, with a ceramic tile on top, as an open hide to good use.

Now.. I'll show you my Cabinet enclosure..

This is what I made for Yardley, who is missing parts of limbs, and tail.. when he was younger.

The Castle:
TheCastle4-13-09.jpg

Battlements and UVB:
IMG_0046.jpg

Hope this helps.

Leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks you guys (and gals)!!! So I was running all of this by my son today as he will be helping me construct this. He is concerned about the heating elements being inside the dresser and possible starting a fire vs a tank with a metal mess lid with the lights on top of that.

Is that a valid concern? I hadn't even thought of that!!!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My viv is wood with sliding glass doors. No fire issues with the lights and the heat they give off. Neither with the CHE i use in winter and Ive had the viv since March and the previous owners for a year before that.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Birch is another good option for plywood. Cheaper than oak...if cost becomes an issue.

I have built a few large custom enclosures and all three have the lights installed inside. Feel free to read through my beardie viv builds found in my signature. They might give you some ideas. I'm also available for any questions...should you have any.

Thanks for the reference and vote of confidence, Renee. It's appreciated.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craiger said:

How can you not get references and votes of confidence with the vivs you built your 3? They all look custom made from those companies that sell them for over $5,000.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
Craiger said:

How can you not get references and votes of confidence with the vivs you built your 3? They all look custom made from those companies that sell them for over $5,000.

Thanks. I don't know that I could include myself in that level of craftsmanship, but it certainly is appreciated, Sandra.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love Sams viv. That is what I want but I do not have the skill, tools or patients to make anything like that nor do I have the money to buy one like that. I think I could do it if I REALLY tried, I have patched a ceiling, replaced damaged siding and put laminate flooring in my old house. You would never know I come from a family of carpenters with my lack of skills I found a nice one similar to Sam's on Craigslist for a great price but had no way to transport it home :(

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Honestly, Sandra, it's not all that hard. With just a few basic skills, I think you could easily pull it off. I had my dimensions figured out before I bought the plywood....and had it cut at the store so it would be easier to haul home (I don't have a truck, either). The 2x4 framing is probably overkill, but it makes me feel better about the fact that it's not going to collapse under the weight of the viv itself. If you do like I do and think about as much as you can before you even make the first material purchase, it shouldn't be that hard. I hadn't built anything like this before I built Frodo's. I'd helped frame walls, but that was about it. I just did some homework and thought about as much as possible....then dove in. I haven't looked back...and have actually surprised myself by what I can do.

Latest posts