• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

newbie in need of suggestions

jamm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All,

We were recently given a bearded dragon. We were told he is around 3 years old. We have never owned a bearded dragon before, but did take in a chameleon with a very severe case of MBD this summer with the hopes of nursing him back to health. He did not make it, but we learned a lot about MBD in the process. So, when Draco came to us 3 days ago, I quickly decided he had a good case of it. The previous owners kept him in the window with no uvb. He also looks to be under weight to me. I put in a uvb light. I think it is a zoo med 10.0 and started him on the liquid calcium we have left over. Got a box of large crickets (full of ants and had to throw it out I might add) and he loves blueberries. His front legs are pretty curled, but I am hoping that with the proper care he will live a long happy life. Would love your ideas and suggestions for care.

Attachments

• draco jan 2014.jpg
    draco jan 2014.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 23

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Poor baby!! Bless you for taking him in :) the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 is a wonderful uv light source, unfiltered (no screen between it and the animal) 10-12 inches away from the basking spot is good. Filtered 8-10 inches away. Is his mobility impaired? Can he chase down prey? Getting him some dark leafy greens like collards..mustard or turnip greens are good. Also escarole and endive. Butternut squash is tasty and good too. He does look a bit underweight to me at least and short for his age..13 inches long if I'm seeing it right. You may want to also gently mist with room temp water daily to hydrate. Try to mist his head just a bit heavier that way it'll run down to his mouth and maybe he'll drink some. Are you dusting his prey items? I think you should use the kind with added D3, if I'm wrong maybe someone can correct me? I'm sure others here have suggestions too. . this is a wonderful place to get info for animals who have been rescued and are in need. Good luck!

Latest posts