• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

newbie here

kennedy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello to everyone. I just got my first Bearded Dragon today. His name is yet to be determined. I have kept snakes in the past but this is my first lizard. So any tips anyone has for me are always welcomed. Thanks for having me in your forum!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the wide wild world of dragon keeping..(say that fast 3 times !)

Okay, a few( okay who am I kidding several) suggestions for you.

Enclosure size: a 20L is good as a starter, however a 36" x 18" x 18" (40 gal breeder tank) is the minimum size an adult will need, so there are your goals.

You'll want a uvb, if in the states use the Reptisun...10.0; If in UK the Arcadia 12%; if down under in Aus or NZ, the NEC t 8 blacklight.

This tube needs to be 6"-8" distance from basking spot.
You will want to invest in a house hold bulb or flood light for the basking bulb.. don't spend extra on a dedicated 'basking" bulb at the pet shop.
Be sure to change them out every 6 months.

Supplements: Rep-cal with D3 is great 5 days a week, one dusting on feeder insects and salad.
Herptivite is an awesome vitamin to help baby grow healthy. 2 days a week, different days then the calcium.

Temps: for juveniles under a year in age: Basking-103-120*F, warm side (air temp) 85-95*F, cool side (away from the basking area/ opposite side of enclosure) 75-85*F, over night temps should not fall below 65*F.

Substrate: this will cause many a heated reply, so I would honestly suggest some sort of non particulate substrate such as paper towel, non adhesive shelf liner, or ceramic tiles.

Diet: babies up to a year in age need lots of protein to grow up biiiig and strong dragons..

Here is a great list to help you choose healthy foods for babykins:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

I think I got the basics covered, so here are some additional suggestions.

Bathing once baby is acclimated 3-4 times a week, for life. This aids in shedding, and hydration.

Relocation stress: This is an acclimation period and can last up to 2 months.. so if baby doesn't shine to you, just go slow.. don't expect a huge appetite initially, but it will happen.
If baby is leaving poo every other day to daily, then he/she is eating.
Don't handle more than is nessecery during this period.. when you do, move slowly either from the side or in front of the head, coming in from above is a predator action.. don't wanna scare this lil pooper !

I'm quite sure other will chime in as they love new comers...
Now for the plea... Pictures please ? We are all photo hounds ! We would love to admire your new darlin.. and any others you might want to share.. !

Welcome once again !
Janie

kennedy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Wow! Thanks for the welcome and the awsome advice! I will post pictures tomorrow evening!!!

kennedy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would like to also add that I bought my Beardie at Petco, which is probably a no no, and they told me to use sand in the bottom for substrate and now i'm reading that I shouldn't use sand. Oh, those stores are really frustrating!! :mad:

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. They have helped me soooooooo much.

To touch on the relocation stress again: Do not worry if it does not eat for a few days. Mine did not eat for almost 3 days after getting him.

Feeding: Do not leave crickets in there for more than 15 minutes at a time. They stress the baby and also bit him. I have seen crickets bit my baby and I wanted to squish them for it. Until he started eating I offered him his crickets 3-5 times a day and only left them in there for 15 minutes at a time. Now I offer him his crickets twice a day. I also got him very small Phoenix worms and he loves those. Be sure the food you feed him is no larger then the space between the eyes. With my baby I have found that he prefers the crickets that are a size down from what he should be eating. I was also given the tip on here to trick him into eating his veggies, put the worms under his veggies so they move. I also hand feed veggies b/c I can make them move so he is interested in them and I can get a few bits out of him. If you have a Petsmart near you they have good crickets, they come gut loaded already but once he starts eating buying in bulk is the way to go as they can eat 25-100 crickets a day. I found a cheap website: http://www.ghann.com/store/store_sub.cfm?Category_ID=1 . I have not ordered from them yet b/c my baby is still getting his apatite up due to neglect.

Thermometers: do not use the stick on ones they are not accurate, they can be off by as much as 20 degrees. Use a prob or temp gun. I use a prob and picked it up at Petco for about $13.

The more experienced people will help you out and answer any questions you might have and no question is a stupid question...trust me I have asked a lot of questions and everyone was very helpful.

Can not wait to see pics.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well it seems everyone has already hammered you with advice so ill just relax and say hi welcome to the forum
any questions you may have no matter how stupid or trivial it may seem to you please do ask as there are plenty of experianced people on here from all over the world who would be pleased to help
so hello and we are glad to have you aboard
paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your baby.

We have all gotten bad advice from pet stores. Don't fret about it. Once you have the basics down, you should be good to go.

Latest posts