• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie help please

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi
I am very new to this so sorry if it's a stupid question
I have a 3' vivexotic viv with a reptiglo 10.0 uv light tube.
I have a habistat pulse proportional thermometer connected to a 100w exo terra ceramic heat lamp.

I am struggling to get a gradient in temps accross the viv. It seem as tho the cool side is actually warmer than the warm side (using a dual zone thermometer)

The sensor for the habistat is touching the substrate and is on the same side of the viv as the lamp.

can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Is the heat lamp to strong or is it the location of the habistat sensor?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome.jpg

Pics would help ( Picture Posting Tutorial ) members understand the situation. Basking spot (warm side) temp should be taken directly at the basking spot, not the floor of the enclosure, cool side is taken in the area furthest from the Heat bulb low near the floor. Ceramic Heat Emitters are wonderful & recommended if 'night' heat is absolutely needed because ambient room temps below the mid to low 60sF. But for Daytime heat, BDs thrive on Bright White Light, therefore a white light emitting bulb is recommended. UVB bulbs alone for light are not really very bright. Personally, I am not a fan of thermostatically controlled day time heat lights, turning on and off, continually throughout the day confusing, possibly stressing the BD.

g60leigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the help.
It was because I have tried to tidy up the look of the viv and the thermometer probe was on the floor.
I have placed it under the basking lamp and have got a nice gradient now.

Thanks .

Latest posts