• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New

tom83

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi
I had a beardie 8 years ago but have completely forgotten everything.
I got a bearded dragon a week ago from someone local on Facebook.
They believe he is about 3 years old.
They said he is very lazy and needs feeding with tweezers and only takes water from a syringe. This didnt add up to me and i have magaged to start getting him to drink from a bowl. He seems very lazy tho.
I need some advice on general setup and care of a dragon that might of been not treated correctly.
Any advice will be appreciated

Attachments

• 20230303_204411.jpg
    20230303_204411.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi
I had a beardie 8 years ago but have completely forgotten everything.
I got a bearded dragon a week ago from someone local on Facebook.
They believe he is about 3 years old.
They said he is very lazy and needs feeding with tweezers and only takes water from a syringe. This didnt add up to me and i have magaged to start getting him to drink from a bowl. He seems very lazy tho.
I need some advice on general setup and care of a dragon that might of been not treated correctly.
Any advice will be appreciated
Sounds like a rescue --- welcome back --- you need 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - NO colored bulbs NO off white yellowish bulbs and NO daytime bulbs - you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 for surface basking temps- NO coils for a UVB you want a long tube fixture -- what are you using now? He needs fresh salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated-- protein dubia roaches crickets BSFL or silk worms 2-3 times per seek - the insects need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 once a week for a T 5 UVB -- two times a week w / calcium w/ out D3 and NO phosphorus -- depending on how good he eats salad will depend on the vitamins -- the lazy about eating could be from lack of proper temps and UVB-- this would cause the lack of eating on his own --- they will not eat if any of this is off -- if you need links for UVB's I can recommend 3

tom83

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sounds like a rescue --- welcome back --- you need 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - NO colored bulbs NO off white yellowish bulbs and NO daytime bulbs - you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 for surface basking temps- NO coils for a UVB you want a long tube fixture -- what are you using now? He needs fresh salads every day http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated-- protein dubia roaches crickets BSFL or silk worms 2-3 times per seek - the insects need to be dusted w/ calcium D3 once a week for a T 5 UVB -- two times a week w / calcium w/ out D3 and NO phosphorus -- depending on how good he eats salad will depend on the vitamins -- the lazy about eating could be from lack of proper temps and UVB-- this would cause the lack of eating on his own --- they will not eat if any of this is off -- if you need links for UVB's I can recommend 3
Thankyou so much, i am a little lost but have just realised the set up is wrong for starters, the bulb and basking light are on the same side!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thankyou so much, i am a little lost but have just realised the set up is wrong for starters, the bulb and basking light are on the same side!!
That is optimal for the basking but you want a long tube fixture and a solid bright white basking bulb and 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps --- the UVB has certain distance and placement please tell me what your using

tom83

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is optimal for the basking but you want a long tube fixture and a solid bright white basking bulb and 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps --- the UVB has certain distance and placement please tell me what your using
With extreme embarrassment im not even sure, is there a reading on the bulbs i can look at?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With extreme embarrassment im not even sure, is there a reading on the bulbs i can look at?
Look on the bulb it will tell you- brand and bulb - please post a pic of the tank and lighting

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Basking is a prorep 300w 230v prch 1118
And the uvb is a d3 reptile 12%
Ok the basking bulb I have never heard of- is it a solid clear bright white basking bulb? And 300 watt wow that is alot-- what is your surface basking temps-- The uvb is a good one how old is the bulb? Next where is it? Top of screen or inside the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With your dragon sitting off to the side of the basking bulb is telling me its probably too hot on the spot where he would normally sit -- how far is the UVB from the basking decor hes sitting on ? It needs to be 12-15 inches-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers for your tank --- I dont see any temp gauges at all this is extremely important

Latest posts