• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Beardies and Habitat Setup! Please assist! :)

BeadedYeager

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all!

I am bringing a baby/juvenile bearded dragon into my home for the first time in my life and want to make sure that it has a good habitat setup before I bring it home!

I picked up a 60 Gallon Aqueon framless cube tank. It measures 24"x24"x24".

My research and experience working in pet stores leads me away from a sand based substrate and carpet isn't the most appealing. So I am working with my friends in a counter cutting shop to aquire the marble or granite that will fit the habitat. My first question is which to pick. I'm unsure which stone will be better for heat retention.

Second, I want to provide an aesthetic and fun, but more importantly, safe and healthy habitat for my new friend. Are there any DO NOTs when it comes to decorations? I have toyed around with a volcano and pile of gold type of theme (think Smaug from The Hobbit) but have read that most fish tank decorations are unsafe. Are there any recommendations for unique but safe beardy decorations??

Lights are my last question for now. What lights should I pick up!? They are super important and I am finding so many different articles with different information, it's confusing to a first time owner!

Any and all help is appreciated! And thank you in advance!

(Please disregard the small slate pieces in the tank. I have been experimenting with different types and sizes of stone for this project! Also, I have the material to make a custom size screen top, since I haven't been able to find anywhere that makes custom size reptile lids. If anyone has a place for custom lids, LET ME KNOW! I'd rather get a legit top than make my own!)

Attachments

• 16866977974801245346477744372905.jpg
    16866977974801245346477744372905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all!

I am bringing a baby/juvenile bearded dragon into my home for the first time in my life and want to make sure that it has a good habitat setup before I bring it home!

I picked up a 60 Gallon Aqueon framless cube tank. It measures 24"x24"x24".

My research and experience working in pet stores leads me away from a sand based substrate and carpet isn't the most appealing. So I am working with my friends in a counter cutting shop to aquire the marble or granite that will fit the habitat. My first question is which to pick. I'm unsure which stone will be better for heat retention.

Second, I want to provide an aesthetic and fun, but more importantly, safe and healthy habitat for my new friend. Are there any DO NOTs when it comes to decorations? I have toyed around with a volcano and pile of gold type of theme (think Smaug from The Hobbit) but have read that most fish tank decorations are unsafe. Are there any recommendations for unique but safe beardy decorations??

Lights are my last question for now. What lights should I pick up!? They are super important and I am finding so many different articles with different information, it's confusing to a first time owner!

Any and all help is appreciated! And thank you in advance!

(Please disregard the small slate pieces in the tank. I have been experimenting with different types and sizes of stone for this project! Also, I have the material to make a custom size screen top, since I haven't been able to find anywhere that makes custom size reptile lids. If anyone has a place for custom lids, LET ME KNOW! I'd rather get a legit top than make my own!)
Ok first off welcome to beardie world--- second I would stay away from slate substrate- it gets very hot and I have seen dragons feet getting burned - a good substrate would be a non adhesive textured shelf liner -cut to the size of the tank --- too hard of surfaces can cause joint issues down the road-- we usually recommend tanks that are 48x24x24 -- that is optimal size for adult dragons- dragons like floor space - next your going to need to have a good UVB long tube fixture -- NO coils they are a health hazard and will cause all kinds of health issues - from skin to internal organs -- I can post 3 good UVB's for you -- next your gonna want two digital probe thermometers - you want surface basking temps - you can use analog ones but those would be for ambient temps ONLY -- your baby is going to need temps 105-110 - that will be till hes about 6 months old then that surface basking temp will change to 95-110- but you need that digital probe to get that- also you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb NO off white NO colored NO daytime bulbs or yellowish bulbs --- temps in the tank at night should be 65-75 NO lights on at all --- please get a digital probe hygrometer - those are the most accurate - analog ones are usually off -- the basking temps and your UVB are the most critical things in the tank -- once you get that all in place he should thrive --- the UVB's placement should be inside the tank w/ a 24" tall tank - as far as decorations you want a big hide - he going to grow so think big - Pet Smart has nice decor for dragons - its easy to clean and disinfect - anymore questions please ask and if you want the links for the UVB's please ask I will post them for you

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Just to add on, with the enclosure pvc or wood are better than glass, as they are easier to maintain heat. Also you get the added benefit of limiting the open exposure of the enclosure for the beardie (only one transparent face). In the wild, in Australia they aren't exactly top of the food chain, they don't like being in the open a whole lot.

Latest posts