• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to bearded dragons!

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi thanks for allowing me to join the group. I did a search and it brought up pieces of posts and now I'm concerned. Just bought a beardy today at Petco got the 20 gallon habitat to start. Fresh water and ordered a hammock and some climbing greenery. How do I tell male or female? Has been moving a little bit here and there looking around. Should I let it get comfy for a period of time? TIA

Attachments

• 20230828_204251.jpg
    20230828_204251.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi thanks for allowing me to join the group. I did a search and it brought up pieces of posts and now I'm concerned. Just bought a beardy today at Petco got the 20 gallon habitat to start. Fresh water and ordered a hammock and some climbing greenery. How do I tell male or female? Has been moving a little bit here and there looking around. Should I let it get comfy for a period of time? TIA
Your dragon will not be in that tank long - 6 months old he should go into a 120 gallon tank -- please get rid of the sand mat - your insects will get under that mat -- please get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut it to the tank and you wont have insect issues-- now for the most crucial part -- UVB what are you using NO coils please - surface basking temps need to be 105-110 for a dragon younger than 6 months of age over 6 months 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the dragon is going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off if he quits eating all together something is off --- dragons do not drink from water bowls - you need a digital probe hygrometer to get an actual humidity level - probe placed on the back center wall --- small tanks are hard to keep basking temps in please get the digital probe thermometers - you need to have one for your cool side of the tank and one for the surface basking temp - you dont need to leave the probe there long enough to get the temp then stick it on the side of the tank - those temps should be checked every couple of weeks - the sex will be easier to see when they are around 6 months of age -- I can post links for UVB's there are 3 good ones if you want me to--- coil UVB's are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your dragon will not be in that tank long - 6 months old he should go into a 120 gallon tank -- please get rid of the sand mat - your insects will get under that mat -- please get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut it to the tank and you wont have insect issues-- now for the most crucial part -- UVB what are you using NO coils please - surface basking temps need to be 105-110 for a dragon younger than 6 months of age over 6 months 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the dragon is going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off if he quits eating all together something is off --- dragons do not drink from water bowls - you need a digital probe hygrometer to get an actual humidity level - probe placed on the back center wall --- small tanks are hard to keep basking temps in please get the digital probe thermometers - you need to have one for your cool side of the tank and one for the surface basking temp - you dont need to leave the probe there long enough to get the temp then stick it on the side of the tank - those temps should be checked every couple of weeks - the sex will be easier to see when they are around 6 months of age -- I can post links for UVB's there are 3 good ones if you want me to--- coil UVB's are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues
Oh wow so glad I found this page!! So
Oh wow I'm glad I found this page then. I had no idea . I attached pic of lights I have but yes links would be great!! I have the side tank warmer too. I'll get a digital tomorrow. So I need one for each side of tank? Do I have a little time with this tank to save for another . Just relocated one coast to another so 300 is disappointing that it's not right. Ugh

Attachments

• 20230828_211922.jpg
    20230828_211922.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230828_211847.jpg
    20230828_211847.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230828_211914.jpg
    20230828_211914.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow so glad I found this page!! So

Oh wow I'm glad I found this page then. I had no idea . I attached pic of lights I have but yes links would be great!! I have the side tank warmer too. I'll get a digital tomorrow. So I need one for each side of tank? Do I have a little time with this tank to save for another . Just relocated one coast to another so 300 is disappointing that it's not right. Ugh
You have a little time I can post links for tanks tomorrow you can look and decide - that's a coil uvb please get rid of it - I will post links for you tomorrow - I would invest in a 24" now it will go right into a 120 gallon- in the mean time we will get you set up for the 20 gallon w/ the 24" long tube fixture - please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for cool side one for your basking side - the probe needs to be set where the dragon sits for basking- how old is the dragon?

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
You have a little time I can post links for tanks tomorrow you can look and decide - that's a coil uvb please get rid of it - I will post links for you tomorrow - I would invest in a 24" now it will go right into a 120 gallon- in the mean time we will get you set up for the 20 gallon w/ the 24" long tube fixture - please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for cool side one for your basking side - the probe needs to be set where the dragon sits for basking- how old is the dragon?
Age wise I have no idea . He is about the length of my hand including tail. Maybe 6-7in in length.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope he looks younger than that - ok please get those digital probe thermometers temps 105-110- then we need to work on uvb- you can look at PetSmart for this one a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt- that's one of the 3 that are good - I can post two links for 2 more tomorrow - uvb is imperative and a good one at that -

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nope he looks younger than that - ok please get those digital probe thermometers temps 105-110- then we need to work on uvb- you can look at PetSmart for this one a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt- that's one of the 3 that are good - I can post two links for 2 more tomorrow - uvb is imperative and a good one at that -
Should it be on

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is house at 72 at night okay?? Does he need to stay warmer longer ? I'll get bulbs tomorrow. Everything I read said turn off at night. Leave lights on for now? I did turn side heater on since it doesn't have light . I feel so stupid. Probably should have found this before getting him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is house at 72 at night okay?? Does he need to stay warmer longer ? I'll get bulbs tomorrow.
72 is good for night- 65-75 ambient - no lights on at night- dragons like cool and dark please shut side heat matt off

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm looking now. There's a few places around me so I'll track it down . Need to go to bed 5am comes too fast

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is what I found at petsmart when I put in description of bulb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230828_224411_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230828_224411_Chrome.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 20

Jackie_NYC

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm looking now. There's a few places around me so I'll track it down . Need to go to bed 5am comes too fast
If you want to save money in the long run, try to get 4×2×2(120gl), get the zen habitat mat. I think it's best and easiest for beginners and good and safe for beardie. Get the uvb light that was recommended earlier. Get the right fixture and basking light. Set up the enclosure, send pics here to make sure all good. And move your reptile there. Try to do everything within month from when you got that 20gl kit and return it to the petco. This way you have a healthy and happy lizard and you getting your money back for what you doesn't need.

leelaJenelle

Bearded Dragon Egg
If you want to save money in the long run, try to get 4×2×2(120gl), get the zen habitat mat. I think it's best and easiest for beginners and good and safe for beardie. Get the uvb light that was recommended earlier. Get the right fixture and basking light. Set up the enclosure, send pics here to make sure all good. And move your reptile there. Try to do everything within month from when you got that 20gl kit and return it to the petco. This way you have a healthy and happy lizard and you getting your money back for what you doesn't need.
That's a great idea...I didn't even think to return it.

Latest posts