• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Red-Eared Slider Owner

Fray425

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

I recently became the proud owner of 2 baby red-eared sliders because someone abandoned them. However, I haven't the slightest clue of how to take care of them. If anyone can tell me what essentials I need for the tank, what the best food to feed them is, and any other tips and tricks, that would be great!

Thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

I recently became the proud owner of 2 baby red-eared sliders because someone abandoned them. However, I haven't the slightest clue of how to take care of them. If anyone can tell me what essentials I need for the tank, what the best food to feed them is, and any other tips and tricks, that would be great!

Thank you!
Is this a bearded dragon -- I have never heard of them please post a pic

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
You can try joining tortoiseforum.org. There are many turtle keepers on that site.

In the meantime, you'll need a UVB light, a tank big enough for them to swim, a landing dock and a heater.

Dree

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

Thank you!
I would recommend reading through ReptiFiles guide on Red-Eared Sliders. ReptiFiles is written by a professional, very detailed and kept up-to-date. It is the most accurate source of information on reptile care.

Here's the ReptiFiles Guide: https://reptifiles.com/red-eared-slider-care/

To summarise:
- You will need at least 10 gallons/38 litres of water per inch of shell length. The average red-eared slider will grow to around 8-11 inches in length, so you will need at least an 80 gallon/303 litre to 110 gallon/416 litre tank for a single adult. If you wish to house your two red-eared sliders together, the tank size will need to be increased by 50%. I would recommend a bare minimum of 150 gallons/568 litres.
- Red-eared sliders are generally not aggressive/territorial, but it is still recommended to provide a large area if keeping multiple in the same tank, and to supervise feeding times to ensure one is not constantly stealing the other's food.
- Red-eared sliders, like bearded dragons, require UVB in order to live. Zoo Med ReptiSun and Arcadia are the most reliable brands. Do not use a coil/compact bulb. Use a linear/tube UVB light about 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the enclosure. The UVB light should be positioned towards the basking end of the enclosure, sitting next to the heat lamp. That way, the turtles will get both UVB and heat at the same time while basking. The intensity of UVB light needed will depend on the height of the enclosure. Generally, a T5 5.0/6% or T5 10.0/12% is adequate.
- Red-eared sliders also require a heat source. Next to the UVB tube light, place a white or colourless heat bulb (halogens are recommended). Provide a dry basking spot above the water for the turtles to bask on. The basking surface should be large enough for both turtles to bask at the same time. The surface temperature of the basking spot (measured with an infrared thermometer/temp gun) should be around 104F (40C). Water temperature depends on the turtle's life stage. For hatchlings (under 1 year of age) water temperature of 78-82F (24-29C) is ideal.
- Both the UVB and heat lights should be turned off during the night. No nighttime heating/lighting is necessary.
- An efficient filter is vital for a red-eared slider's health. Filters should have a mechanical function (meaning they remove waste products such as faeces and uneaten food from the water) as well as a biological function (meaning they encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria). External canister filters are recommended. Purchase a filter that is rated for 2-3x the amount of water in the tank.
- Partial water changes are required every 1-2 weeks.
- Use a fine substrate. Gravel and pebbles may be swallowed and become lodged/trapped, causing an intestinal blockage. Sand is easier for a turtle to pass through their system in the event they unintentionally ingest a little.
- Provide plenty of enrichment for your turtles to investigate. Pieces of wood and rocks make for great environmental enrichment.
- Turtles also need a place to hide. provide hides large enough for the turtle to swim into, turn around and exit. Plant pots can make good hides.
- Avoid fake plants if possible as they may be ingested and cause an intestinal blockage. Live/real plants can make for great enrichment though.
- Red-eared sliders are omnivores. Turtles younger than 1 year of age should be on a diet of 50% protein/animal matter, 50% plant matter. Offer protein items (as much as they can eat in 5-10 minutes) and vegetable foods (portion roughly the size of the turtle's shell) daily, and turtle pellets (portion roughly the size of the turtle's head) every other day.
- The best protein items for red-eared sliders are crayfish (pre-killed), crickets, earthworms, roaches (discoid or dubia), freeze-dried shrimp or krill, fresh shrimp, frogs (captive-bred and pre-killed), frozen bloodworms, mealworms, superworms, nightcrawlers, silkworms, snails (captive-bred), tadpoles (captive-bred), tubifex worms, and small live feeder fish (endlers, guppies, mollies, mosquito fish, platies, or swordtail).
- The best vegetable items are chickweed, cilantro, collard greens/spring greens, dandelion greens + flowers, endive, escarole, green beans, green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, hibiscus greens + flowers, kale, spinach, spotted deadnettle, swiss chard, white clover, and turnip greens.
- To ensure the proper development and bone health of red-eared sliders, you must provide a cuttlebone. Cuttlebones are blocks of calcium carbonate. Remove any plastic from the cuttlebone. Expect to replace the cuttlebone every 1-2 months.

Here's a good example of a red-eared slider tank:
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 11.57.36 am.png

Latest posts