• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner in need of help

mskeisha_beardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I brought my juvenile beardie home early April. I gave her a few days to herself to adjust. She stared to let me hand feed her and even touch he within the 2 week. A few days later she allowed me to pick her up and take her a bath she was calmer than she'd usually be. I read that tanks should be bigger so I switched her from a 20 gallon to a 75 gallon. Even after the enclosure move she still hand fed and allowed me to touch her. Soon as I thought we were bonding she started to hiss and bite my fingers a few days later. She wont let me touch her without biting me. I have to basically corner her in to handle her. She still takes food out of my hands and even crawls on my hands to eat it, but its like any other movement freaks her out. I don't approach her from above, I take slow movements and is around a quiet space. The pet store workers told me to just keep picking her up everyday but it seems as that's not working at all because its getting worse as I pick her up everyday. I also read online that it takes 3 days for juveniles to get used of handling but I've been holding her since about 2 weeks after I got her. Do anyone have tips or advice?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I brought my juvenile beardie home early April. I gave her a few days to herself to adjust. She stared to let me hand feed her and even touch he within the 2 week. A few days later she allowed me to pick her up and take her a bath she was calmer than she'd usually be. I read that tanks should be bigger so I switched her from a 20 gallon to a 75 gallon. Even after the enclosure move she still hand fed and allowed me to touch her. Soon as I thought we were bonding she started to hiss and bite my fingers a few days later. She wont let me touch her without biting me. I have to basically corner her in to handle her. She still takes food out of my hands and even crawls on my hands to eat it, but its like any other movement freaks her out. I don't approach her from above, I take slow movements and is around a quiet space. The pet store workers told me to just keep picking her up everyday but it seems as that's not working at all because its getting worse as I pick her up everyday. I also read online that it takes 3 days for juveniles to get used of handling but I've been holding her since about 2 weeks after I got her. Do anyone have tips or advice?
Please go over the surface basking temps-- they should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb ? Coil or tube? Any colored bulbs? These all control the overall behavior and health of your dragon are critical

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her poop is darker than it was before but I've read that the color is affected based on if shes eating many greens or not.
A coil is inadequate please replace it w/ a long tube fixture here are some links for a good uvb
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
This will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the bulb you need
22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5 or this one 24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle.../products/arcadia-prot5-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood
Please let me know when you get the uvb I will help you place it for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes - do this as soon as you can

Bubba

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have inherited a Beautiful Bearded Dragon from my Nephew, My DumS%# Brother and His wife basically kill any animal they get as they do no research on taking care of their animals, We named our bearded dragon "Bubba" initially after talking to the "reptile expert" at Petco He said Bubba needs a day light and a Blue night light, Bubba seemed to be happy with this arrangement, and would sleep well at night. We have actual Reptile store in town, they told us the blue light can make Bubba go blind! So we purchased a red night bulb, Bubba seems restless under the red light. When the weather is nice we put him outside in a cage that has a shady spot and a sunny spot, He mainly gravitates toward the sunny spot of the cage and frequently doesn't seem very happy about coming back in the house. I know He's Getting vitamin D from the sunshine, I was also informed that we will ultimately need 3 lights in the winter, one more or less for daytime, a white light for vitamin D that His bones need, and a night light
Recently I read a post that one bearded dragon owner uses a 60/40 mix of soil and play sand, the soil being the 60% and the play sand being 40%, I realize now that these critters use digging in the sand for warmth or to cool down. After another trip to the actual Reptile store they sold us a type of sand that looks almost like kitty litter that they use for all Reptiles, Bubba seems to like it, He's already dug into the sand with His arms. I am wondering if I should mix it with soil? if so what kind of soil? there are many kinds.. Anyone seem to have issues with the red light? I also think of what His natural habitat must be like in Australia, There is no red light in the evening there to my knowledge. Any insight to the red bulb and the 60/40 Sand and Soil would be much appreciated, I want Bubba to be as happy and healthy as possible. thank you for reading my post

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have inherited a Beautiful Bearded Dragon from my Nephew, My DumS%# Brother and His wife basically kill any animal they get as they do no research on taking care of their animals, We named our bearded dragon "Bubba" initially after talking to the "reptile expert" at Petco He said Bubba needs a day light and a Blue night light, Bubba seemed to be happy with this arrangement, and would sleep well at night. We have actual Reptile store in town, they told us the blue light can make Bubba go blind! So we purchased a red night bulb, Bubba seems restless under the red light. When the weather is nice we put him outside in a cage that has a shady spot and a sunny spot, He mainly gravitates toward the sunny spot of the cage and frequently doesn't seem very happy about coming back in the house. I know He's Getting vitamin D from the sunshine, I was also informed that we will ultimately need 3 lights in the winter, one more or less for daytime, a white light for vitamin D that His bones need, and a night light
Recently I read a post that one bearded dragon owner uses a 60/40 mix of soil and play sand, the soil being the 60% and the play sand being 40%, I realize now that these critters use digging in the sand for warmth or to cool down. After another trip to the actual Reptile store they sold us a type of sand that looks almost like kitty litter that they use for all Reptiles, Bubba seems to like it, He's already dug into the sand with His arms. I am wondering if I should mix it with soil? if so what kind of soil? there are many kinds.. Anyone seem to have issues with the red light? I also think of what His natural habitat must be like in Australia, There is no red light in the evening there to my knowledge. Any insight to the red bulb and the 60/40 Sand and Soil would be much appreciated, I want Bubba to be as happy and healthy as possible. thank you for reading my post
Please get rid of the blue light red light as soon as you can - do not use them - dragons have a third eye on top of their heads for predators and the colored lights will harm their eyes over long use and will cause them or can to go blind ---- it disrupts their sleep as well - dragons like cool and dark -- 65-75 night time temps -- what you need is a clear solid bright white light for basking temps 95-100 also known as a basking light - those surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- 2 of them in the tank one for cool side of tank 80's basking temps surface 95-100 and ambient 90's -100- some basking lights are Exo Terra Intense -- Flukers-- or Zoo Meds Repti Basking lamps- NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoyidium that will cause eye issues --- you mentioned no UVB your dragon is lucky that you are taking him outside and hes sitting in the sun -- this is crucial to their health and behavior --- he needs the UVB to absorb the calcium he is digesting -- if he doesnt have the UVB rays to do this he will develop MBD and a lot of other health issues from internal to external issues like skin etc ------------ Please get him a UVB Iam going to post links to UVB's please order one asap----
24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up the distance and placement from the one you need is different https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood
You want this bulb 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...y-vapor/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5
or this one it says this one is sold out but I wanted to show it to you anyway
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...-12-uvb-bulb-with-hood?variant=39549895475242
Please DO NOT listen to the people at the pet store they are not experts and do not have a clue about the care of dragons ---
I need to know what kind of loose substrate your using ---- any type of wood chips crushed wood is a hazard to your dragon --- walnut or coconut substrate is toxic to dragons -- I have inquired from someone the best stuff to get for a dig box -- I will get back w/ you -- I dont recommend using any type of loose stuff for a substrate - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store that is more sanitary than loose substrate - it is easier to keep clean and wont harbor bacteria the shelf liner can be cut to the size of the tank and cleaned w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- insects cannot get underneath --
you also want a digital probe hygrometer for humidity
this is a great place to get insects and worms for Bubba
Your dragon does not like the colored bulbs -- please follow his lead --
when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you get it placed for your tank -- placement and distance will be determined by the screen on your tank ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dig box ---- top soil w/ nothing in it -- no fertilizers etc and play sand -- is best for a dig box

Latest posts