• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new owner help!

Christina

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My son is 8 and has wanted a dragon. My husband went to the pet store and came home with a bearded they said was 8 weeks old. I realized from the internet he seemed to be only a few weeks old. I finally talked to someone at the store who confirmed it was a hatchling. He is about three weeks old now. We have had him for 6 days. The first day he just lied there
Wouldn't eat. Since day two he has been pooping every day and eating 4 to8 baby crickets a day. Is that enough? I try to give him chopped greens every day. Yesterday he ate a couple pieces. Should I be offering him veggies or fruit? I took the water bowl out. I have been putting drops of warm water on his nose a few times a day and he licks it off. Okay? I've read mixed reviews about misting. I don't want the humidity in the tank to go up. Should I mist him on my hand? My husband gave him one bath in warm water in a Tupperware container for five minutes. He was OK with it and pooped right after. How often should I give a bath? I only let my son hold him for a few minutes once a day. I have a small 10 gallon. He's so small. When should I get his big tank. And how big over 40? I have a regular light bulb in my heating lamp the basking spot gets about 98 degrees. On the same side of the tank is my under tank heater. Ihave ceramic tiles. I use a gun thermometer and they get up to 110 degrees too hot. The middle of the tank thermometer has the tank at 85 during the day. The cold side is about 75 on the floor. At night lights and heat off at 845. The temp in the cage is 73 at night. Lights on at 7 am. That's 13 and 3/4 hours of light. OK?. Someone told me only 1 in 5 babies make it. I'm so nervous. My husband is getting jealous says I love puff more. My maternal instincts have come out and I just want him healthy and happy. My son is too young to care for a baby. But I'm too attached to return him and get an older one. Am I doing OK? Or should I change something. Thank you any advice would be appreciated.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK now take a breath....lol Babys can and do survive. Make sure your using a good uvb source. Reptisun 10 by zoomed is the most consistant. If you click on the banner you will be taken to my website. Check your caging against what i do on my care sheet. I wrote the sheet with the beginner in mind.

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just got my first baby beardie a few months ago and I had a lot of questions too. So many people on this forum helped answer my questions. if you get the chance go through and explore what others what posted. Many of your questions might be answered (mine were). I would also suggest picking up a book on beardie's. I got one off Amazon for about $5 that has given some good tips and facts and such.

Welcome to world of beardie owners! We really are a crazy bunch!;)

TheseRancidWounds

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I too just bought a hatchling! You shouldn't have to bath them regularly due to their size. Although, I mist mine twice a day since it's too small and won't drink from the bowl. Dropping water on the nose is an excellent method. The max heat temperature can range from 95-105 I believe and its reconmended to have one light side, as well as a dark side. I also have a large beardy, I have it in a 33 gallon and it's not too active, I reconmend a 40+ gallon tank long. So it has room to move. I feed my baby a dozen crickets a week and I have meal worms already dead in a small bowl for them to snack on, although they can eat many greens as well. My adult beardy absolutely loves Kale, strawberries, etc. The baby has only really ate the crickets so far, most likely because they move and catch the beardys attention. Once a week I get my baby beardie out and stick it in a pan with a tiny bit of water and let it run around in it as I drop water on its head. To get it use to drinking etc. These are just methods I use, hope they work out:)

Latest posts