• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Member would like to say Hello!

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello my name is Shawn aka the "TINMAN" I would like to say Hello and IM new to beardies so I look forward to learning a lot from all the "Wisdom" Here! ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
HI and welcome. Have you checked out the caresheet yet?

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your BD

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Shawn and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your dragon! You'll find out how comical these little creatures are. Here's a link to our caresheet. Give it a read and let us know if you have any questions.

Bearded Dragon Care

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome I have already learned quite a bit of good Husbandry skills and tecniques for a better happier Beardie! ;D I am getting Tile for al my Beardies,for now I have went back to plain Newspaper(Got Paranoid about the play sand!) ;) I have gotten my greens chopped smaller and do a lot of trips to petco for Mealworms,calciumworms,Crickets and do still supplament a bowl of zoo med juvi food + calcium suplements.I have moved my tanks to infront of a East facing window for a half a day sun affect+ their Uv light with Basking lites and undertank U-6 Heaters! ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
tinmantribe5 said:
I have moved my tanks to infront of a East facing window for a half a day sun affect+ their Uv light with Basking lites and undertank U-6 Heaters! ;D

Sounds like you've been a busy-bee. :)

FYI: UV rays get filtered by glass....unless you're just going for a "daylight" affect. I'm not sure what a U-6 heater is, but if it's a typical reptile heat mat that you stick to the tank, I'd move it to the outside glass if you're needing to provide heat. Beardies can't feel the heat underneath them and can actually burn themselves if it gets too hot.

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well thanks I didn't know about the window filtering the uv rays,I have the little pads on the outside underneath the tank unattached with a space I actually though I was supposed to have belly heat see IM learnin! ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well...in a sense, yeah. Their basking spot is beneath them...hence, "belly" heat. However, we have some control over that by setting it up to stay around 105-110 degrees F. With a heat mat, we don't have control. Therefore, the temp can go up to an undesirable level and do more harm than good. That's why it's safer to put it on the outside of one of the tank walls vs. the floor. If you even need one, that is. Do the temps in your house drop below 60 degrees F at night when the lights are out? If not, you really don't need that heat mat at all?

Do your basking lights provide enough heat to help proper digestion?

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger ol Buddy IM Mat free as of today! I am gonna save a little Money and Headaches by taking out the heat mats because my house runs about 74 degrees and the lizard x Snake room sits about 78-80
Ambient temp so I as you said really dont need them so thanks for the advice without making me feel like a idiot from learning as I am a Snake Man thats got a Beardie "Buzz" going on! ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
tinmantribe5 said:
Craiger ol Buddy IM Mat free as of today! I am gonna save a little Money and Headaches by taking out the heat mats because my house runs about 74 degrees and the lizard x Snake room sits about 78-80
Ambient temp so I as you said really dont need them so thanks for the advice without making me feel like a idiot from learning as I am a Snake Man thats got a Beardie "Buzz" going on! ;D

Cool! And hey dude....we try our darndest to never let anybody feel like an idiot due to ignorance (lack of knowledge). The only way we learn is to gain knowledge from experience and advice from those that have "been there, done that". If we can keep others like yourself from having to share some of the same negative experiences we have, then we'll do what we can to pass on the information. I always say I learn from my failures, but I also learn from the failures of others and not reproducing them.

Definitely a difference in snake and beardie husbandry.

By the way....you're only about 6 hours from me. I live in Illinois....an hour north of St. Louis.:)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome and you will learn a lot from here so feel free to ask lots of questions. I noticed you said you feed mealworms. These are not very good for beardies, they offer little nutrition, high in fat and hard to digest.

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks I will keep that in Mind I like crickets but I get tired of getting them the same things all the time any other better suggestions?
Thanks The Tinman ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well alternative live feeders that are good are
Roaches
Pheonix worms
Super worms (Only after your beardie is AT LEAST 16 inches long)
Silk worms
Horn worms - this one Im not sure of how often you can give it

And for treats are
Butter worms
Wax worms

tinmantribe5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Pogie!
I usually do Roaches too but they get costly I bought 35.00 last time I did roaches! I like to Rotate so I will try the other worms what about superworms if I cut them in half is their a reason to wait until 16" ?
Thanks Pogie for all the Help!
The Tinman ;D

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
what about superworms if I cut them in half is their a reason to wait until 16"

IDK about that . . . . could work I suppose, but please this is just my opinion. Not a fact. The only thing is cutting them in half or quarters for that matter will make them die . . . not move. So will your beardie eat them?

Maybe someone else who has used supers more than me can help on this one . . . . .

Latest posts