• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here, couple questions to get started for on the way home

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi there.
We just purchased a 1 yr 4 month bearded dragon. I will admit, I am ignorant when it comes to Lizards, so I am on a steep learning curve. I am at work, so limited time for research, but I printed a bunch of info off to read tonight as I want to give the new addition the best care I can. Alot of you might think...uh oh...this poor guy is in trouble...but let me know what I need...and he will get it! If I am doing something really wrong...please tell me

Hubby has had them before, but I believe, just a general knowledge.

I am going to try and post all my questions in the appropriate forums of habitat, lighting and food, any help for a quick pet store stop on the way home would be great!

This is his set up... about a 90 gallon tank... about 1.5 to 2ft wide and 4ft long? about 18in high, with a screen lid.

for food:

1. We have about 10 crickets in there that were put in yesterday...

2. a mix of chopped romaine lettuce, apple, zuchini, carrot that the pet store gave us. put in yesterday

3. Meal worms...but they look like pictures of super worms.. most of them crawled out of the dish, so not sure if he ate any, but there was 10 yesterday.

4. a bowl of water that he can crawl in and drink

Now my food questions...

1. Should we only be giving him a few crickets a day? or putting in 10 until they are gone is good and he can eat them when he wants?

2. I read feeding worms is not great because of the hard shell? should we not do this?

3. should I take the salad out after a certain time if he is not eating it?

oh, and we bought multi vitamins and calcium and were told to sprinkle on his salad once a week but separately... thanks for any info and help

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At that age you should be still feeding him crix once a day. As many as he can eat in 10 minutes. You should never leave crix in after feeding. A hungry crix can munch on your dragon. At about a year and a half then you should start weening down on the amount of crix. He should still be eating about 25 crix a day or so.

No lettuce...only good greens like dandelion, chicory, escarole, bok choy, etc. Lettuce has no nutritional value and can cause diarrhea. Apple along with fruits are a treat. you can top a salad with them or use them a couple times a week.

No mealies. You are right. They have too much chitin and are very hard for a beardie to digest. Some will say if it is an adult dragon it is okay, but why take a chance.

Salad can stay in all day. Take out 2 hours before lights out.

Calcium should be dusted on crix daily. The multi vitamin once a week.

The tank looks like a great size.

Many don't keep water dishes in tanks. They cause a huge mess and most don't drink. To keep a beardie well hydrated a soaking in a sink or tub works wonders.

Pancake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok, so no lettuce...wonder why the pet store gave it to me then? wierd.. they just said no iceberg, but romaine was good, and not too many carrots as it can give them gut ache.... note taken!

as for the water... do I mist him 1x per day then and see if he wants to drink out of an eye dropper? how much per week can I put him in the bath tub?

and, I am on well water that is high in iron and sulfur... is it ok to bath him and mist him in that, or is purified water better...or should I just get water from in town that is tap water and chlorinated?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pet stores are notorious for giving bad information. Not all but some. Could be ignorance or just not caring. Either way....you will get the correct information here. Greens really are the best thing for them. There are all different kinds you can give. Stay away from ones that are very high in calcium like spinach. They can cause calcium binding. Carrots you are right should only be given occasionally. You an shred some over his "salad".

Soaking 2-3x a week is great. You can put him in a bath tub, although since it is first time, I would start with the sink. Smaller he might feel more at ease. You can put a towel to help him from slipping and you can put your hand in to let him sit on. Make sure the water is a good temp. 88-95* degrees. You will find the temp he likes by when you see him start to swim around. It will take a while for him to adjust, but once he does many love the water. Don't panic if he goes underwater. They do that. As for well water...somebody else will have to chime in on that. Not sure. I use town water. It is chlorinated, but not a problem. Misting is okay for him to possibly lick some of the water, but his scales do not absorb the water. He will absorb it though his vent when in the tub or sink.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does the water smell like rotten eggs ? If so, boil it first.
Hope that helps out...
Iron won't bother them.
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
since we are on the topic of water I beach water and sometimes it stinks, is it ok to use? should I let it run till the stink is gone. I drink it even when it stinks b/c it taste fine...and from what everyone has told me who grew up here that is just how the water is b/c it is beach water.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beach water ? I think that you have a water processing station, don't you, Sandra ?
Ours has a smell, but that is the chlorine and stuff they put through the system... Now my well water, has an altogether different smell... but much better tasting in my humble opinion.
Janie

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yes it has city water, just sometimes it stinks not like rotten eggs but it does stink. If we run the water for a minuet the smell goes away but sometimes it stinks no matter how much we run it. My sister lives a couple of houses away and hers is the same way.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can ask for a copy of the report of the company testing their water. I tend to get one from the city at least annually.
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Generally those pungent smells in refined water are the result of chlorine, chloramines, or chlorine dioxide added to natural sources before they get to the facility. Their apparent existance as they reach your faucet indicate that the natural sediment, and microbes contained in the water were higher in their level when it was tested, and the water was treated and is safe for drinking. There are something like 80 (?) different contaminants.

With that said.........human systems and reptile systems are slightly different in design in reference to their ability to process chemicals, both natural and additive. Salt, Chlorines in high concentration, sulphurs and a few raw minerals won't process thru the kidney. You can't smell raw minerals......but you can see them, they will change the color of your water.

So unless you smell rotten eggs, strong bleach or salt.......you're probably pretty good.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. we are good then. It kind of smells like a not to stinky fart if that make sense. Unpleasant but not too bad

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
rofl..................that's sulphur, unfortunately.......or low level methane. Methane would make you dizzy tho.

When the smell is strong.....boil the water.
If you can run it out.....it may be corrosion from older water sources in your pipes....
Simply let it run for a few and proceed if the smell lessens.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We have sulphur in our water at church. The way it was explained to me was that it is a gas that, as you run the water escapes and that is why it stinks but is not harmful. You can buy one of those cylinder water purifiers and that should help. :)

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It does not bother me any more. When I first moved here I would not drink the water b/c I thought the water would taste like it smells but after a couple of months tried the water and found it taste fine. Guess it is just one of those things you learn to live with.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah!!! No taste!!! Sometimes the girls will comment about it when we are in the bathroom at church. It's a small space so very noticeabe!! I'll make some funny crack about if they have gas, nows the time to get rid of it and no one will know!! I get SOME looks!! But others laugh a little nervous!! ( I shouldn't be saying stuff like that in church!!! ) LOL!! BUT I DO.... ;D

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I get myself in so much trouble with this sense of humor Craiger!!! ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta said:
I get myself in so much trouble with this sense of humor Craiger!!! ;D

In trouble? Eh....usually, you only get in trouble with people who need to loosen up in the first place.

Latest posts