• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new habitat

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
have to say i have great roommates, they were driving in our town today and its spring cleaning buy us which means if u have anything unwanted u put it out in front of ur house and the city comes and picks up ur unwanted things, well ive been telling my roommates i wanna gonna get a bd, and they just woke me up with a new habitat for my bd. there is nothing wrong with it what so ever, even came with the screen top and the half a log thing for a place to hide or basking. since i am unaware of what was in the habitat, i was wondering what i should use to clean to make this a nice clean place for my bd?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Clean it up wit a 10% solution of bleach & water, thoroughly rinse until there is no bleach smell & you are good to go. Freeze the Half log overnight to kill anything that may be hiding in it. Sounds like you got yourself a 40 Gal Breeder Tank.
icon_thumright-1.gif

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
thanks germ, here are two pics of the tank and the second pic is of a hing or im not sure what it is, but i dont think breeder tanks have that on them but i could be wrong

Attachments

• IMG_20120424_190039.jpg
    IMG_20120424_190039.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20120424_190052.jpg
    IMG_20120424_190052.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 34

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's 40 Gal Breeder fish tank size. The thing in the second pic appears to be so you can lock the hinged screen lid down with a Padlock.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I completely agree with Germ, looks like something to lock a compatible lid with. That would be a perfect beginning setup!

Edit: Oh, and you have the most amazing roommates! You must love them.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
ah ok germ yes thats what i was thinking it was a lock of some sort, its very dirt in the inside and out, from the looks of the shedded skin in there yet looks like it was used to house a snake it very dirty inside and out, just got back to work today so i havent had time to clean it yet, and i should be asleep now since i have to be to work in five hours, @ aleena yes i love them to death, they are my real family, and they were driving to the store and seen it and knew right away that i would love it so they stopped and looked at it to make sure the glass wasnt broke or cracked and brought it home to me i was very greatful for it, cant wait to clean it up, and start putting decor in, i will post pics up of the process as it comes along.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
well i spent alot of time this morning cleaning the new habitat that i got, and its looking great, only thing i see that needs to be worked on is white cloudyness on the glass, its like a white flim, i know we have something at work i can try, but not sure if it will work, anybody have any suggetions on how to clear it up, thanks

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Freecycling is awesome! Congrats on the find!
You can usually use a razor blade to scrape glass clean. Be VERY careful with sharp blades though!!
You made me giggle, Josh ;)

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
well i just got home from work and stopped at the local pet store and just got about everything but the lights i got a basking spot, but i think it is too big so i mit have to re turn it, also bought a hammock, two digital temperature controls one for the basking spot and the other for the cool side and also got a humidity gauge, dishes and a liner and a background. gonna set everything up and gonna take some pics to post up here a lil bit later today, getting so excited to get my new lil buddy!!!!

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
well im all done setting everything, let me know what u think about the basking spot, i think it mit be too big and the bd mit have problems climbing it but let me know what u think
IMG_20120505_113558.jpg
IMG_20120505_113508.jpg
IMG_20120505_113446.jpg
IMG_20120505_113351.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
WOW! nice....I use regular thermometers. Are the digital better and I don't use a humidity gauge. Should I have one? What a lucky little guy you have. I like the substrate as I am still using paper towels and I don't like it. The background is the best....must get some of that. You did a nice job.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
thank u, from what i understand is that u get more accurate reading with the digitals then u do with the thermometers gauges, and the substrate was only 15 dollars so i had to get it, and the background was only five bucks, i still have to get the basking light, and heat emitter, and i also wanna get a timer for the on off time for the basking light, i havent purchased my bd just yet i would like to have the set up running for a couple of days to make sure i am controlling the right temps before i get my new buddy, should have him hopefully by next weekend,

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
lol feel like I'm talking to myself. but anyways was at menards this morning doing some shopping and happened to stumble across 8 1/2 inch clamp lamps and they were seven dollars a piece so I bought two. so when I got home I put a household 100 watt light bulb in the clamp lamp and turned it on. well after moving the light around I am proud to say that my basking temp is holding at 111.3 degrees and the cool side is staying at 79 degrees and my humidity level is at 40. very happy that this has been very easy to figure out.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to have a UVB light because it imitates the 'sun'?? I am new here also but have always read UVB!!

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
yes u are right uvb lights are a must. I havent bought the uvb, basking light yet, or the heat emitter yet. just got back to work last week. was on a layoff from work. so I am buying a couple of things out of each pay check. by this next week I will buy the uvb basking light and heat emitter.

Latest posts