• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New family member!

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
And is that the box you are keeping it in? You are mis-treating this animal, they need a proper enclosure, and a safe surrounding to be able to live properly.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Oh dear lord! :eek:
I really would have researched before even purchasing a beardie in the first place and made sure you had adequate space for it.
I always say you CAN'T compromise when it comes to living things, do things properly or not at all

Reactions: Jp

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hate to say it, but i can foresee in a short while a post about "Oh no my dragon died......WHY?"
This sucks :(

Harry

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My friend said you guys are all too complicated. He has had his dragon for 2 year and feeds it table scraps as well as earth worms. Please verify if this is WRONG. I am getting confused and I think you guys know more than my friend. He is calling me STUPID!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My friend said you guys are all too complicated. He has had his dragon for 2 year and feeds it table scraps as well as earth worms. Please verify if this is WRONG. I am getting confused and I think you guys know more than my friend. He is calling me STUPID!
We're not trying 2 complicate anything, the purpose of this forum is the exact opposite. All that is needed for a ''HEALTHY'' Bearded Dragon is a proper enclosure, correct lighting & a nutritious diet of insects & veggies,,,, not leftover Taco Bell & stuff you find in your backyard. From what I've seen, this was an impulse buy on your part & you don't have the funds to feed or properly house your dragon. You need to do your chores or mow some yards if you plan on keeping your new dragon. I've read numerous post saying ''Oh my God, my beardie died! What happened? It's very sad & I hope not 2 read anything similar soon.

P.S. Tell your friend 2 suk it & he's not being cool. You 2 just need 2 get on the internet and study up on Bearded Dragons.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well your friend is really dumb.. were trying to help, and scraps off the table? THAT SHOULD BE ONE HEALTHY BEARDIE. If you can't tell, its sarcasm.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Cant agree more with what Jp and Daeyang said.
If youre really serious about this new pet of yours, prove it by taking the advise you ASKED for seriously instead of checking with your un knowledgeable friend and trying to provoke arguments and rudeness from us.

We are here for the love of the animal, the animal comes 1st here and everything else can take a back seat, and we really dont care what your friend has to say. If he has issues let him join the forum and adress them himself.

Ill re-quote my previous statement as this is going to be inevitable if you continue on this path and continue to listen to your friend. So when it does.............please dont come here and cry about it

Hate to say it, but i can foresee in a short while a post about "Oh no my dragon died......WHY?"
This sucks :(

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’m sorry dude but so far everything everyone here has told you is correct. I have only been dealing in dragons for almost a year (it will be a year Feb. 20;) ) but I know for a fact that most of what I have read on this particular forum for everyone seems like common sense. if you are going to get ANY ANIMAL you need to do ur research first and know what ur in for before u bring it home. I learned that lesson after my mom sprung Iggy on me saying "my friends son has a dragon. do u want it?" don’t get me wrong I love my little man to death and he is well taken care of now but when we drove out to get him I was clueless on how to take care of dragons. I was at the previous owner’s house for almost 2 hours asking them about the basic of dragons so I knew what to do till I got to the internet. U would not believe the amount of paperwork and books I have on beardie care that I bought within the first couple weeks I got him. The point is u really should have got at least a basic info before u brought that dragon home with u. I just had to put off getting my gecko because I needed a little more time to get the PROPER stuff for his tank set up.

Just my personal opinion: every animal we bring into our homes depend on a knowledgeable owner for its survival. The more u know the happier and healthier it will be. Just think of them as very young children. If they don’t have good parents they can depend on to keep them healthy and safe there would be a hell of alot less kids in this world.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just my personal opinion: every animal we bring into our homes depend on a knowledgeable owner for its survival. The more u know the happier and healthier it will be. Just think of them as very young children. If they don’t have good parents they can depend on to keep them healthy and safe there would be a hell of alot less kids in this world

Too true Jynx and also my belief, but one part I'd like to add. Unlike children who cant choose their parents and visa versa. WE make the choice of getting a pet, thus WE must provide for that pet. It cant very well exit the viv and go find a better place to stay if the conditions arent propper. Theyre just stuck there

Reactions: Jp

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It cant very well exit the viv and go find a better place to stay if the conditions arent propper.
lol thats funny because my ball python does that when she wants food and it not feeding day.

Reactions: P

jynx stephens

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
no matter what i do she still finds some way to get out yet she will some how come back later and sit on the top of her viv.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It should be a big sign when your "friend" has to go so low to call you a name like stupid just to make you believe what he says is correct. When instead he could give valid reasons to why he disagrees with what we tell you on here.

Plus your friend says that he's had his dragon for 2 years now. But how healthy is it? Sounds like it's not getting the proper care. Don't you want your beardie to be healthier than his?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no matter what i do she still finds some way to get out yet she will some how come back later and sit on the top of her viv.
If you've got a screen lid that your python can push up & slide under, set a brick on each side to add weight.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Harry, we have all made mistakes at some point or another, anyone that says they haven't to some degree is a liar. The trick is, how quickly do we fix it so we don't further the neglect in quality of care that your new pet deserves. Your friend sounds like one of the YouTube characters that enjoy showing the aggressive nature of these beautiful creatures. I'm surprised that his BDs will even go for earthworms, none of mine would touch them after the first taste. But I suppose, there is a difference when you are hungry & nothing else is offered.

I am new to this forum, and have only read a few threads. But I have noticed on this thread in particular, every one has done nothing but criticize without offering a whole lot of helpful info. Bits & pieces here & there, but no real help to the over all problem & give you an idea of where to start. This may not be the best Care sheet on the Internet, but it is a damned good one to start off with, to give you the basics ...
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=D643...=D643393FE4E7B1C4&resid=D643393FE4E7B1C4!3255

Check it out & cover the bases, BDs aren't a cheap pet to keep properly, but if you shop right, buy equivalent material & fixtures from your everyday hardware or big box store, basically the only thing you need from a reptile supply is the UVB bulb.

The chicken wire, as many have said, is seriously not an acceptable enclosure for a BD for many reasons. Check on the many used sites, advertise for a give away tank. I did that, advertised on Craigslist for "Wanted 50 gal plus, preferably for free", 3 weeks down the road I got a phone call from a fellow cleaning his basement, got a 90 gal for $40. In the meantime, your BD would be much better off in a large Rubbermaid with proper lighting than the chicken wire.

I hope you will take some of the advice given to you on this thread, your friend, unfortunately is not a reliable source of info if you want to give your BD an extended over all life span that is capable of achieving in captivity.

Good Luck,

Reactions: P

Latest posts