• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New enclosure opinion

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Just setting up the new enclosure. Planning to introduce our new girl on Thursday. What’s everyone’s opinion on basking and UVB.

40 gallon enclosure

Acadia 12%Uvb on top of the screen
75W basking bulb about 111degrees currently, dimmed it

125W heat lamp, seems to have the enclosure about 100degrees. Also dimmed down, considering lowering the wattage

10% humidity.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EAA697A3-7358-4D7A-8BFE-9128F0BC042F.jpeg
    EAA697A3-7358-4D7A-8BFE-9128F0BC042F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 9C85B707-4E01-47F3-8F6E-5E4536F6BB9E.jpeg
    9C85B707-4E01-47F3-8F6E-5E4536F6BB9E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 435328E9-6CB7-442D-A3DF-3844DA76AC14.jpeg
    435328E9-6CB7-442D-A3DF-3844DA76AC14.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just setting up the new enclosure. Planning to introduce our new girl on Thursday. What’s everyone’s opinion on basking and UVB.

40 gallon enclosure

Acadia 12%Uvb on top of the screen
75W basking bulb about 111degrees currently, dimmed it

125W heat lamp, seems to have the enclosure about 100degrees. Also dimmed down, considering lowering the wattage

10% humidity.

Thanks in advance

HI Andy I am gonna say the temp is off - please get two digital probe thermometers - you want surface basking temps of 105-110 for a baby up to 5 months or so -95-100 for a 6 month and up-- please get a digital probe hygrometer as well - 10% is too low - you want it at least 20-25 % -- optimal is 40-50% - too low will / can cause RI's -- next the screen is a wide holed but it looks thick - you can try leaving it on top but get a piece of basking decor place directly underneath it normally I say 8-10 inches but since it looks thick go 7-9 inches -- watch her behavior --

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
HI Andy I am gonna say the temp is off - please get two digital probe thermometers - you want surface basking temps of 105-110 for a baby up to 5 months or so -95-100 for a 6 month and up-- please get a digital probe hygrometer as well - 10% is too low - you want it at least 20-25 % -- optimal is 40-50% - too low will / can cause RI's -- next the screen is a wide holed but it looks thick - you can try leaving it on top but get a piece of basking decor place directly underneath it normally I say 8-10 inches but since it looks thick go 7-9 inches -- watch her behavior --
I added The digital probe thermometers. I set Those in place as extras. I have 1 on top of the basking spot and I have 1 on the cool side. Just to adjust temps as needed. What’s your recommendation on increasing humidity, a water bowl?

The corner hammock is about that distance from the screen, I will make sure and adjust that if not. I’ll also try to lower temps or possibly just remove the “heat lamp” all together. Thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I added The digital probe thermometers. I set Those in place as extras. I have 1 on top of the basking spot and I have 1 on the cool side. Just to adjust temps as needed. What’s your recommendation on increasing humidity, a water bowl?

The corner hammock is about that distance from the screen, I will make sure and adjust that if not. I’ll also try to lower temps or possibly just remove the “heat lamp” all together. Thank you!
The heat lamp? What is that? Che? Try a large water bowl on the hot side of the tank - does your dragon get in water bowls- I don't want him drowning- remove it at night- if that does not do it you might haft to invest in a small humidifier placed next to the tank-- I have one that sits in between my two tanks that runs in winter time-

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
The heat lamp? What is that? Che? Try a large water bowl on the hot side of the tank - does your dragon get in water bowls- I don't want him drowning- remove it at night- if that does not do it you might haft to invest in a small humidifier placed next to the tank-- I have one that sits in between my two tanks that runs in winter time-
I’m not sure. We only pick her up on Thursday. The heat lamp is a bulb that I placed aside of the basking bulb. It appears I could possibly just remove that though? The hot side of the enclose about 90 and cool side about 75? Correct?

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
It seemed like the basking bulb wasn’t making it quite warm enough in the enclosure so I bought a “heat lamp” bulb. 125W dimmable.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It seemed like the basking bulb wasn’t making it quite warm enough in the enclosure so I bought a “heat lamp” bulb. 125W dimmable.
What are you getting for surface basking temps-- what brand heat lamp and is it a solid clear bright white bulb?You want surface basking temps of what I posted above - how old is the dragon? So you have two bulbs for heat -- one should be a solid clear bright white and does the other have light or no light?

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
What are you getting for surface basking temps-- what brand heat lamp and is it a solid clear bright white bulb?You want surface basking temps of what I posted above - how old is the dragon? So you have two bulbs for heat -- one should be a solid clear bright white and does the other have light or no light?
Basking temp was like 111. She’s 4-5 months old.

They’re both bright white or 2700k. The basking bulb is a 75W Thrive brand. Not sure on the heat lamp. Purchased it from Home Depot just to add heat to the enclosure for the warm side. But yes, both are lights.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Basking temp was like 111. She’s 4-5 months old.

They’re both bright white or 2700k. The basking bulb is a 75W Thrive brand. Not sure on the heat lamp. Purchased it from Home Depot just to add heat to the enclosure for the warm side. But yes, both are lights.
Ok the thrive is ok- not hot on thrive products - do you have the box for the other one?

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Ok the thrive is ok- not hot on thrive products - do you have the box for the other one?
The cage is about 105 in the basking area. About 95 in the middle and about 85 on the cool side.
Humidity is about 13% trying to raise that more.
This is the bulb for “heat”.

Attachments

• 14D4CE22-7619-4BC9-8387-8C10EFAE790E.jpeg
    14D4CE22-7619-4BC9-8387-8C10EFAE790E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The cage is about 105 in the basking area. About 95 in the middle and about 85 on the cool side.
Humidity is about 13% trying to raise that more.
This is the bulb for “heat”.
Ok that is good --- 13% is real low - what is the night time humidity? Look first thing in the morning before turning on your lights -- if you cant get it up w/ just the water bowl invest in a humidifier and place next to your tank - I let mine run at night and check in the morning before turning lights on - but this is when its sub zero temps and the air gets so dry --

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Ok that is good --- 13% is real low - what is the night time humidity? Look first thing in the morning before turning on your lights -- if you cant get it up w/ just the water bowl invest in a humidifier and place next to your tank - I let mine run at night and check in the morning before turning lights on - but this is when its sub zero temps and the air gets so dry --
Perfect!! I’ll try adding a bowl of water and checking again in the morning. Thank you for all your help!

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Overnight it was up to about 34% humidity and dropped to about 74 degrees. I added 2 small bowls of water. Currently I’m at 24% humidity.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Overnight it was up to about 34% humidity and dropped to about 74 degrees. I added 2 small bowls of water. Currently I’m at 24% humidity.
ok so 24% is better than 13% - and the over night is good - I just turned my humidifier on this morning - we are in sub zero temps now so it always makes the air dryer - the two tanks are at 25 and 20% for day - they will go into the 30's overnight

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
ok so 24% is better than 13% - and the over night is good - I just turned my humidifier on this morning - we are in sub zero temps now so it always makes the air dryer - the two tanks are at 25 and 20% for day - they will go into the 30's overnight
We introduced her into her new home. She LOVES crickets, she’s exploring the cage like crazy, im assuming that’s good?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We introduced her into her new home. She LOVES crickets, she’s exploring the cage like crazy, im assuming that’s good?
Yes if everything is on par she will settle in quicker and she should thrive- please do not leave any crickets in the tank - I would get her over on dubia roaches - they are a more nutritional insect and easier to keep - if you want more info let me know I can post for you

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Yes if everything is on par she will settle in quicker and she should thrive- please do not leave any crickets in the tank - I would get her over on dubia roaches - they are a more nutritional insect and easier to keep - if you want more info let me know I can post for you
They’re in the kitchen. We were unsure if they’d come so we got crickets in case. We did confirm the enclosure is cricket free. She moves her arm super slow, assuming that’s “waving”? Im also noticing her stress lines, which I also assume normal considering she was just introduced into her new environment.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They’re in the kitchen. We were unsure if they’d come so we got crickets in case. We did confirm the enclosure is cricket free. She moves her arm super slow, assuming that’s “waving”? Im also noticing her stress lines, which I also assume normal considering she was just introduced into her new environment.
Yes that is normal - it's relocation stress- yes the arm waving is normal as well

AndyZ

Hatchling Dragon
Yes that is normal - it's relocation stress- yes the arm waving is normal as well
Thank you very much. I notice you comment on quite a few posts. I can only speak for myself. But it’s very helpful to have someone knowledgeable willing to share that. Thank you for taking your time to help. Much much appreciated!

Attachments

• 6D120888-43F5-4106-B05F-BC11DB7DCB32.jpeg
    6D120888-43F5-4106-B05F-BC11DB7DCB32.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 9D74AAB6-E8DF-4DB3-AA36-BDB828A8F66A.jpeg
    9D74AAB6-E8DF-4DB3-AA36-BDB828A8F66A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you very much. I notice you comment on quite a few posts. I can only speak for myself. But it’s very helpful to have someone knowledgeable willing to share that. Thank you for taking your time to help. Much much appreciated!
Your welcome - he's a pretty thing

Latest posts