• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Decor

Jerin Zorb

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just got some calcium sand for Geico's cage. I will also be getting so ledges and logs.
mail

I also added a little dragon in the middle.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
impaction01.jpg

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't use calisand for Bearded dragons. It is very dangerous for them. When they ingest it, it doesn't break down but actually clumps in their intestines.

Above is an xray of dead dragon that ingested Calisand. If you really want to use sand (Which by the way they do not live on in the wild, it is actually hard packed soil) then you should use washed playsand and make sure you do not feed you dragon on the sand. You are also going to need to be very vigulant when cleaning the cage as Sand holds bacteria from there poop.

Fliehigh

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 124
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't use calisand for Bearded dragons. It is very dangerous for them. When they ingest it, it doesn't break down but actually clumps in their intestines.

Above is an xray of dead dragon that ingested Calisand. If you really want to use sand (Which by the way they do not live on in the wild, it is actually hard packed soil) then you should use washed playsand and make sure you do not feed you dragon on the sand. You are also going to need to be very vigulant when cleaning the cage as Sand holds bacteria from there poop.

Fliehigh

good picture post the link where you found it

Jerin Zorb

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it okay for me to have sand??? I put a topawear lid on about half of his cage so he has a place with water and food over there off the sand.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can only give you my opinion I won’t use it there are too many risks involved with it .I use tiles for my adults and paper for my little ones

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Personally, I don't like the idea of sand, but if you really want it, you could use washed playsand for sandboxes which you can get at a home improvement store. It's better than calcisand because playsand is round and more natural compared to calcisand which is square and not so natural. But in their home environment, beardies live on hard packed soil, not sand. I would recommend repticarpet or tile for your beardie's enclosure. I use both at the moment and it works great. No risk of impaction, and the tile files her nails down.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use non-adheseve shelf liner. It's cheap (I get it from Walmart) and you can cut it to the size that you need. Just another option that you can use

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My adult cages males are 24"x36" females are30"x30"

KrisWithaK1225

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Your tank sounds a bit small but it's not too bad. Bigger is always better, but if you can't get a larger tank, then the one you have should be alright.

Even if the sand is small, there's still a risk of impaction. There may be a smaller chance of it happening, but it may still happen.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have heard that calcium sand will clump up like cement when wet I have never used it so don’t have any first hand info on it only what I have read and been told by others.

Jerin Zorb

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So far that's not the case... Geico loves it. He doesn't try to eat it and i feed him on a seperate surface. Calcium Sand is made for reptiles and it is supposed to be edible.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Calcium sand is not digestable with Dragons.

Some other types of reptiles can digest it but Dragons can't. The x-ray above shows how it clumps together in there digestive track and kills them. If Geico is eating I would be concerned.

Fliehigh

Mon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He hasn't eaten it at all.

Really are you 100% sure, have you been sitting by the viv 24 Hours a day to make sure of this?
Everybody here is telling you how totally bad calci sand is, is it really worth risking your pets life to prove a point?

Calcium Sand is made for reptiles and it is supposed to be edible.
Yes its made for reptiles and reptiles include snakes, lizzards, skinks, turtles, frillies, chameleons, geckos . . . . . and beardies. BUT does it mean husbandry practices for all are the same???? I think not. Its species specific, and like fliehigh said, its digestable and edible by OTHER reptiles NOT beardies.

Jerin Zorb

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay thanks... If geico starts acting weird at all i will bring him to the vet. I will also take the sand out and put carpet in.

Latest posts